SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
TPFilm
TPFilm is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default ALERT: "Rail Dust" on Paint of Newer VUEs

ALERT: Newer VUE (or GM ) owners... if you see little black spots appearing on your paint of a recently (within 12 months) purchased/leased vehicle take it the dealer. There is this "thing" called "Rail Dust" that settles onto the paint of new vehicles when they are shipped from the factory. It appears to be a winter problem more than summer problem. My 2003 Tracker (built/shipped in November of 2002) had the same problem and was caught too late and it had to be repainted under warranty. Saturn of ILM is going to deal with the rail dust on our 2005 VUE (built 12/04, shipped 1/05) in the next week or so (they have to repaint the tailgate so we have to wait until the Body Shop has time and space and so that we can get a rental car.)

If anyone else has heard of or seen this or dealt with this.... keet us know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TPFilm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: ALERT: "Rail Dust" on Paint of Newer VUEs

I've had little specks of a reddish colored material show up on my tail gate. They came off with a clay bar. It almost looked like surface rust. I noticed these after it's first winter. Is this what you are talking about?

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm
I've had little specks of a reddish colored material show up on my tail gate. They came off with a clay bar. It almost looked like surface rust. I noticed these after it's first winter. Is this what you are talking about?

--Tom

I still have them show up every so often... And, yep - a clay bar works.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
TPFilm
TPFilm is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Sounds like it. Saturn of ILM Service Advisor said they would use a clay bar to remove it on our VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TPFilm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
vue-vtec
Advanced Member
vue-vtec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm

--Tom
If they were not there when the car was new, they are not "rail dust". Rail dust comes from the wheels of the train your car might have been shipped on. It is usually found on the horizontal surfaces only. If your car hasn't been on a train recently, then that's not where it came from. The junk on your tailgate (and mine, as well as the sides) is from the salt/sand used on the roads in the winter. It'll come off with clay, rubbing compound, or even by using some cleaner/waxes. The paint isn't permanently damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue-vtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue-vtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
rickpa75
rickpa75 is on a distinguished road

My Vue has "cloud dust" from when Dumbo airlifted it to my house....

(Hey I had to make fun of this one...just a little.)

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickpa75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickpa75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread