SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
rearviewmirror
rearviewmirror is on a distinguished road

Attention Seafoam through the PCV hose...and more!

I just got a case of Seafoam so I am ready to tackle the "seafoaming" of my 1996 SL2's intake through the PCV. I did a search of this forum but couldn't find much as far as a write up goes. Does anyone have any hints or pics of this application? Also, does anyone have any pics or diagrams of where the PCV hoses are on the SL2 engine? I learned about Seafoam on an 18 page thread on yotatech.com, I am going to apply it to my 4Runner too, but I figured I'd practice on the Saturn. If you've not read much about Seafoam then give this thread a quick squizz. And if someone helps me with the PCV location on the SL2 I'll be sure to provide a full write up w/ pics when I'm done.

Here's the yotatech thread.. http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=64836

Please discuss your experiences w/ Seafoam as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rearviewmirror's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rearviewmirror reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
LittleRedWagon
LittleRedWagon is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
Default Re: Seafoam through the PCV hose...and more!

I've used it with great success in my Ranger. I do it before every oil change.
Here's how I do it...

Run vehicle around about 20 minutes first; works better in a hot engine.

1. Detatch vacuum hose from power brake booster.
2. Plug open end of vacuum hose with bolt.
3. Start engine.
4. Open can of Seafoam.
5. Take bolt out of vacuum hose; cover hose end with thumb.
6. Rev engine.
7. Take thumb off of vacuum hose and put hose into can of Seafoam.
8. Let the vacuum suck out the Seafoam through the hose.
9. Rev engine up and down while it draws out the Seafoam.
10. Stop engine after it sucks out half of the can or it stalls out.
11. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
12. Restart engine (may take a few tries).
13. Drive it around for about 20 minutes and watch the fog cloud behind you.

Once the fog goes away, you can do it again with the rest of the can. I would use the whole can if it's the first time for that vehicle.

Planning on doing this to my Saturn too this weekend.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LittleRedWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LittleRedWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
rearviewmirror

Thanks for the detailed steps.. I've only opened the hood on this Saturn once before, (g/f has owned it for 10 years since, gave to me for a commuter.) So do you might snapping a pic of the hoses you're using for confirmation? I guess it's easy to tell which direction to go by feeling which hose is sucking in air. Do you also run some seafoam mixed in with the fuel? What about in the crankcase? I have a case of 12 bottles coming so that should cover things. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rearviewmirror reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

PCV hose is easier to reach. The PCV valve is in the cam cover, right next to the oil cap. When you remove the hose from the PCV valve, you create a massive vacuum leak and the engine races, which is just what you want. I put the Seafoam in an old water bottle, with one of those drinking caps. The vacuum wil start to draw the Seafoam right out through the drinking valve thing. Rev the engine as you need, to keep it from stalling.

A case??!? One bottle will do you just fine; will probably last two "sessions".

Oh, and throw in a set of old spark plugs for the duration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
LittleRedWagon

1993 SW1

Sorry, I don't have a digicam, so I'm not able to post any pics...

Perhaps some other kind person could do it?

Anyway, if I have any leftover Seafoam, it goes in the gas tank.

I usually put a half-quart of MMO in the oil a week before an oil change.

And yeah, the PCV hose is probably easier to use in the Saturn; firewall side of the cam cover.

I don't think you'll need the whole case right away. I would use one bottle for the "treatment" and put one bottle in the gas tank at the next fill-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LittleRedWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
PCV hose is easier to reach. The PCV valve is in the cam cover, right next to the oil cap. When you remove the hose from the PCV valve, you create a massive vacuum leak and the engine races, which is just what you want. I put the Seafoam in an old water bottle, with one of those drinking caps. The vacuum wil start to draw the Seafoam right out through the drinking valve thing. Rev the engine as you need, to keep it from stalling.

A case??!? One bottle will do you just fine; will probably last two "sessions".

Oh, and throw in a set of old spark plugs for the duration.
OK.. I'll check out the PCV.. I am going to pour it in the PCV using a measuring cup, but now i like drinking cap idea. I saw a thread where some hydrolocked their engine by sucking in too much Seafoam... so beware of that possibility. I bought a case to do my 4Runner too, and I plan to run a few bottles through the fuel tank as well on both vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedWagon
I've used it with great success in my Ranger. I do it before every oil change.
Here's how I do it...

Run vehicle around about 20 minutes first; works better in a hot engine.

1. Detatch vacuum hose from power brake booster.
2. Plug open end of vacuum hose with bolt.
3. Start engine.
4. Open can of Seafoam.
5. Take bolt out of vacuum hose; cover hose end with thumb.
6. Rev engine.
7. Take thumb off of vacuum hose and put hose into can of Seafoam.
8. Let the vacuum suck out the Seafoam through the hose.
9. Rev engine up and down while it draws out the Seafoam.
10. Stop engine after it sucks out half of the can or it stalls out.
11. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
12. Restart engine (may take a few tries).
13. Drive it around for about 20 minutes and watch the fog cloud behind you.

Once the fog goes away, you can do it again with the rest of the can. I would use the whole can if it's the first time for that vehicle.

Planning on doing this to my Saturn too this weekend.

Good luck!

I have never done this nor ever plan to and I have driven well over 1 million miles and several vehicles past 200K too. I pesonally think it is a waste of money and a bit hard on engine too. If you use good fuel and proper mantainance you do not need it but if you are fixated with 87 octane in a high compression engine I guess you will try anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
LittleRedWagon

1993 SW1

My Ranger has 350,000 miles.

What's your point?

It's worked for me for the past 10 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
rearviewmirror

I've chatted with those YOTATECH guys for a few years now, and I know most of them love their trucks more than anything, while there are a few skeptics it seems that the consensus is that that stuff really does a number on cleaning injectors and intake. I too have never thought to add anything to my fuel system. But I can say that at exactly 100k miles now the Saturn isn't all that crisp, I think a cleaning will do it some good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Um, pretty-much the ENTIRE INDUSTRY is "fixated" with 87 octane in high-compression engines. It's the recommended grade for all but a few cars these days. If the octane rating were an issue, 87 octane gasoline would have gone off the market years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
rearviewmirror

I'll do a write up this weekend on the seafoam'ing of my SL2... It needs a good cleaning.. I'll drive it for a bit then replace the plugs and oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
cheapybob
Advanced Member
cheapybob will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1
1999 SC2

Let us know if it still runs when you're done.

Moderation... Everything in mpderation....

Did you win cases of it in a contest or something? One can will do the car completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapybob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapybob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
rearviewmirror

Follow up...

I have to say that I am impressed. The engine idles smoother and picks up revs better. It wasn't bad before, bit it certainly is better now. All that for just 10 minutes work. I never believed in any fuel additives before, but after seeing how well it worked on the Saturn I have to say that I am believer now. I am going to give it one more application through the PCV then change the oil and spark plugs. I am also running 1 pint in the fuel for the next 3 tank fulls just to get the injectors too. Since I keep my fuel economy tracked on fueleconomy.gov I'll know if there is a difference, of course my A/C is fixed now too so that could have an impact too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I never believed in any fuel additives before, but after seeing how well it worked on the Saturn I have to say that I am believer now.
That's because, in this capacity, it's not a fuel additive. It's working directly on removing the carbon deposits from the intake manifold and combustion chambers. Most other fuel additives remain snake-oil, so your non-belief is well-founded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #15
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
That's because, in this capacity, it's not a fuel additive. It's working directly on removing the carbon deposits from the intake manifold and combustion chambers. Most other fuel additives remain snake-oil, so your non-belief is well-founded.
I guess you're right.. the Seafoam through the PCV was something else. I was surprised how much vacuum is created by the intake clearing vapor off the top of the engine.... if you use this method make sure to use something to measure how much you pour and to regulate the rate at which you put it in the engine. With those two things in mind it's an easy process.

Another thing the seafoam did was get rid of a slight hesitation the car had when started... now it just revs right up and goes to a solid idle. Like I said, it wasn't "bad" before, but it's certainly smoother now. I hope this "cleaning" helps me get better than 25MPG.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #16
hsv sc2
hsv sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

My seafoam came in a half gallon can, and the oil about to be changed. I'm a skeptic on additives too, but will give it a try. How much (pint?) to the oil through the PCV valve, and how long to keep it in until the oil change? Or did I miss that in the thread?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hsv sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hsv sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hsv sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv sc2
My seafoam came in a half gallon can, and the oil about to be changed. I'm a skeptic on additives too, but will give it a try. How much (pint?) to the oil through the PCV valve, and how long to keep it in until the oil change? Or did I miss that in the thread?
I didn't put any in the engine oil.. that scares me a bit, of course they say it's fine. Right now I just applied it through the PCV and in the fuel tank.

You know what.. I will put it in the oil on soon, then drive with it for about 300 miles then change it. The SL2 is my test bed for stuff, if all goes well I will apply to my other vehicles.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 07-18-2006 at 12:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #18
hsv sc2

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I didn't put any in the engine oil.. that scares me a bit, of course they say it's fine. Right now I just applied it through the PCV and in the fuel tank.

You know what.. I will put it in the oil on soon, then drive with it for about 300 miles then change it. The SL2 is my test bed for stuff, if all goes well I will apply to my other vehicles.

I lost the bubble somewhere, or my direction. Was under the impression that if you pour the seafoam into the PCV Valve, its going into the valve cover and into the oil. Or did I mess up and the vaccuum(sp?) is pulling it through the PCV valve into the throttle body area and into the combustion chamber?

Seems either way will not matter as folks seem to do both with this stuff. Rearview, if you could tell me how much seafoam and which way you sent it into the valve cover or up into the throttle area, I'd appreciate it.

Did some more searching at lunch, was twisted, goes upstream into the manifold. Still not sure how much half a can is.

Last edited by hsv sc2; 07-18-2006 at 12:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hsv sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
hsv sc2

1997 SC2

Did the seafoam foul your plugs at all? Several threads mention that it does. Since I plan on a big swap out (99,000 mile) at this point I figured I'd throw new plugs in, though the "old" OEM's only have about 12,000 on them. Didn't want to if I didn't have to, but even from the dealer its a cheap change out.

swear I need to learn to type....I really do know how to spell and punctuate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv sc2
I lost the bubble somewhere, or my direction. Was under the impression that if you pour the seafoam into the PCV Valve, its going into the valve cover and into the oil. Or did I mess up and the vaccuum(sp?) is pulling it through the PCV valve into the throttle body area and into the combustion chamber?
You don't use the cam cover end of the PCV hose - you let the hose suck it into the intake manifold - the OTHER way.

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bennett9000 is offline   Reply With Quote