SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Polymer on Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
I can stick one of my fat little fingers in between the gaps in the doors on my SC1,
To borrow one of your quotes "Yeah, so?"

Quote:
and the door closes with an odd shudder, same with the VUE
All the doors on my VUE close with a nice "Thunk" no shudder whatsoever (the SW2 is a different story because it's old, just about any 10-year old car's doors will close with a shudder, that has nothing to do with the polymer, the biggest difference is my 10-year old car looks A LOT better than any other 10-year old car out there, except for the Saturns.)

Last edited by DesertPuma; 09-14-2006 at 05:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPuma
To borrow one of your quotes "Yeah, so?"
Touche. I don't like it.

Quote:
All the doors on my VUE close with a nice "Thunk" no shudder whatsoever (the SW2 is a different story because it's old, just about any 10-year old car's doors will close with a shudder, that has nothing to do with the polymer, the biggest difference is my 10-year old car looks A LOT better than any other 10-year old car out there, except for the Saturns.)
The VUE isn't as bad as the SC1, and my car isn't 10 years old, it's 5. Actually I don't think my sister's 12 year old car is as bad, and don't remember the old 15 year old SC being as bad either. I thought it was from the longer doors, but maybe it's the shape. The whole panel shakes, and yes it's screwed on right. Maybe it's the 3rd door, but I think the passenger side isn't any better.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #23
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I think Hokie is working on making his SL2 panels fit an Outlook....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #24
chuseyo-Tech124
chuseyo-Tech124 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1
Wrench Re: Polymer on Outlook

Im sorry but polymer will no longer be applied to Saturns.GM has totally stripped Saturn from is originality for some reasons.Well,let me say the only original thing about a Saturn vehicle is the emblem.The main reason for ridding of the polymer material is cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chuseyo-Tech124's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chuseyo-Tech124 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chuseyo-Tech124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #25
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuseyo-Tech124
Im sorry but polymer will no longer be applied to Saturns.GM has totally stripped Saturn from is originality for some reasons.Well,let me say the only original thing about a Saturn vehicle is the emblem.The main reason for ridding of the polymer material is cost.
Saturn could be totally unique like it was in the beginning (polymer panels and all) and out of business, or it could share platforms and engines with other GM cars (losing polymer in the process) and stay in business.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #26
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Well, I still hate metal panels on saturns, because they will dent, but, honestly, I say sacrifice the cool things and let them live!

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #27
DesertPuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2171
Saturn could be totally unique like it was in the beginning (polymer panels and all) and out of business
Then so be it. (It's been effectively killed anyway, IMO.)

Quote:
or it could share platforms and engines with other GM cars (losing polymer in the process) and stay in business.
Less desirable. I happen to like that uniqueness, if it can't be kept that way, then I rather it not exist at all.

At this point I don't really care anymore, you all can have your steel Saturn clones, as for me, I am going to buy an '07 ION sometime in Jan/Feb. That will be my last Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #28
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
At this point I don't really care anymore, you all can have your steel Saturn clones, as for me, I am going to buy an '07 ION sometime in Jan/Feb. That will be my last Saturn.
I hear you.....I might be in the same boat also......what is better about a VUE with steel panels, than any other CUV? Everything will be the same as an Equinox, or Torrent or whatever....
If Saturn doesn't come back with the polymer or something unique (i.e. better), it would be time to seriously look at Audi RDX, RAV, X-trail or something similar of its ilk....I see those Equinoxs, and Torrents, and they look alright, but they are nothing more than plain mass produced copies of mediocrity......and Saturn wants to position itself there?

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
I think Hokie is working on making his SL2 panels fit an Outlook....
LOL! In all seriousness, I'm still really tempted by the 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP, lack of polymer panels notwithstanding. I like that car a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #30
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam
Everything will be the same as an Equinox, or Torrent or whatever....
And this is known...how?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #31
DesertPuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
And this is known...how?

I am only guessing, but I think what she means, without Polymer Panels...it's just another run of the mill SUV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #32
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
I am only guessing, but I think what she means, without Polymer Panels...it's just another run of the mill SUV.
It appears to me that she's saying that w/o polymer the VUE will be the same as the Equinox/Torrent since they're the same platform. Unless those were just her 2 examples....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #33
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
It appears to me that she's saying that w/o polymer the VUE will be the same as the Equinox/Torrent since they're the same platform. Unless those were just her 2 examples....
yes
I have a torrent on my block...had a close up look...I don't want to go there....also, have seen a equinox...same same...
Also agree with the 'other guy' in that Saturn has to differentiate itself from the pack.....
Although, I doubt I will trade in my VUE anytime soon... I love the ecotec and tranny combo (just hope they live up to their billing, and last a long long time), not to mention the ploymer.....just have to pony up some cash one day for some quieter tires.....
The outlook is some beast though....
They should hybridize it. Then the wheels would be spinning......

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #34
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
They should hybridize it. Then the wheels would be spinning......
They are from what I've heard. It's likely Saturn's whole line will have Hybrid options except the SKY. No word on the ASTRA, or w/e but you can bet it'll likely get it soon. Oh yeah, and Relay, probably not Relay (I keep forgettin' about that thing )

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #35
SaturnSales
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh yeah, and Relay, probably not Relay (I keep forgettin' about that thing )
Hopefully once the Outlook comes out we can all forget about the Relay.... no offence to anyone who owns one... they are a good vehicle... but it is just a rebadged Uplander with more options... Rumor has it once the Outlook gets off the ground the Relay will die....

As far as Hybrid options go.... I would not be supprised if the entire Saturn line up gets the Hybrid treatment.... Only things I know about at this time are the Vue Greenline this year.... then with the Vue re-design we will see 2 different Hybrid Vue options.... The Aura is also getting the Hybrid treatment... not sure if it will get both Hybrid options though... No word on a Astra Hybrid, would guess we wouldn't get that until they are built in the states... but since they will be built in Germany at first they may consider bringing the Diesel version over (I hope)... I don't think they would even consider putting a hybrid in the Sky.... I think that's the whole line up for now... It's gonna be fun selling them though....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #36
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales
Hopefully once the Outlook comes out we can all forget about the Relay.... no offence to anyone who owns one... they are a good vehicle... but it is just a rebadged Uplander with more options... Rumor has it once the Outlook gets off the ground the Relay will die....
Rumor also has it that the new Lambda based minivans will be given to Chevy, Saturn, and GMC. They should be lightyears ahead of the U-body piles of crap we've got now. And they are not that good of vehicles, my dad's got one. Nothing major yet, but a few minors, and it's his 5th U-body GM min-van in about 12 years. The best one was the first one. The '95 Trans Sport. I beat the tar out of it (when I was learning to drive) and it's still on the road, I saw it a few months back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #37
DesertPuma

Quote:
The best one was the first one. The '95 Trans Sport. I beat the tar out of it (when I was learning to drive) and it's still on the road, I saw it a few months back.
Polymer Panels...yes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #38
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
yes
I have a torrent on my block...had a close up look...I don't want to go there....also, have seen a equinox...same same...
The 2007 models are vastly improved over the 2006s...it's their equivalent of the 2006 VUE redesign.

Quote:
Rumor also has it that the new Lambda based minivans will be given to Chevy, Saturn, and GMC. They should be lightyears ahead of the U-body piles of crap we've got now. And they are not that good of vehicles, my dad's got one. Nothing major yet, but a few minors, and it's his 5th U-body GM min-van in about 12 years. The best one was the first one. The '95 Trans Sport. I beat the tar out of it (when I was learning to drive) and it's still on the road, I saw it a few months back.
No, they're not that bad of vehicles; it's simply that there are better choices out there.
I've heard back and forth things on whether they'll be a new Saturn minivan. I'm just going to ignore any comments either way until we see the Chevy and GMC debut, then if there is a Saturn there or not.

Quote:
Polymer Panels...yes?
Actually, no.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #39
DesertPuma

Quote:
Actually, no.
I definitely recall seeing the ads for the Pontiac TransPort (w Patrick Stewart's voice- of Star Trek TNG fame - in the backdrop) back then demonstrating a Kid with a baseball bat "accidentally" bashing the side of the van and Patrick's voice "and dent resistent panels"... If they weren't polymer, they were very similar, or at least conceptually the same.

IIRC the panels were on the lower part of the van and not the entire side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #40
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I definitely recall seeing the ads for the Pontiac TransPort (w Patrick Stewart's voice- of Star Trek TNG fame - in the backdrop) back then demonstrating a Kid with a baseball bat "accidentally" bashing the side of the van and Patrick's voice "and dent resistent panels"... If they weren't polymer, they were very similar, or at least conceptually the same.

IIRC the panels were on the lower part of the van and not the entire side.
They did have plastic dent resistant panels, and spaceframe construction until the '97s came out with conventional unibody, and steel bodies. They were very different from the Saturn polymer panels, and more like what Olds, Buick and Cadillac have used for fenders in the past and present. That's not why it was better.

It took everything I could throw at it in stride, meanwhile the ones that came after have been riddled with problems, and I rarely if ever drove them. In fact they seem to be getting worse. The '95 we sold and didn't see again, until like I said a few months ago. The '97 we sold to my uncle who has had his fair share of problems. Not overly problematic actually, but that was the one that blew a head gasket on my back from Toronto. Thank god I had gotten back into town at least.

As for the 2000 Venture, by the time we parted ways (and my mom got her VUE in Aug. '05) it had brake trouble (the rotors had been chewed up by poor caliper slide tabs) the ABS/trac light was comming on intermittantly, which was likely the module, but never diagnosed properly. The fuel gague was irradic, and the wipers were stopping in the up position. We fixed a couple of the items (rotors, and someone fixed the wipers without replacing the motor, somehow) and then traded it in. Also over it's life it spit out 2 intake gaskets, and It had several issues while my dad was driving it. I don't hear much about those since it's a company car, and they pay the bills. When it came down to it, there was no way we were going to keep the 2003 once the company lease was up so a little less than a year before that happened, we traded in the Venture, for the VUE, and my dad got his new SV6 this past April, or May (I forget). the only real issue so far is that the driver's side sliding door, doesn't always latch on the back latch. My mom hates driving the SV6 compared to her VUE (the best vehicle she's ever owned).
Maybe their not the worst things on the road, but there is much, much better out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation