SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #21
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: GMC Acadia revealed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl0
I though Chevy was the only one to use that and only for cars. Thats good for the people that want all that power. I will stick with the V6 since it offers plenty of power with great gas mileage.
No, Pontiac has it in the Grand Prix GXP. I actually I think it's just those 3 that have it, so n/m the etc.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #22
chrisl0
chrisl0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
No, Pontiac has it in the Grand Prix GXP. I actually I think it's just those 3 that have it, so n/m the etc.
Yea I am talking about the spec's for the V8 that will eventually be a option on the GMC Acadia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrisl0's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrisl0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrisl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #23
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea I know that, I mean the V-8 version.
Oh, sorry. My mistake...
Anyway, I've heard that it probably won't be the 5.3L V8. I heard rumors that were at first saying it would be a V8 derived from the High Feature line of V6s (which includes the 3.6L that's going in standard), with a bunch of new engine tricks (active fuel management, etc.), but then I heard rumors saying that that was scrapped in favor of a new version of the Northstar V8.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #24
chrisl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
Oh, sorry. My mistake...
Anyway, I've heard that it probably won't be the 5.3L V8. I heard rumors that were at first saying it would be a V8 derived from the High Feature line of V6s (which includes the 3.6L that's going in standard), with a bunch of new engine tricks (active fuel management, etc.), but then I heard rumors saying that that was scrapped in favor of a new version of the Northstar V8.
So it might be getting a caddy V8??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chrisl0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #25
cdp326
Master Member

Well, when it's in Buicks (Lucerne V8) and Pontiacs (the late Bonneville GXP), it's not totally Cadillac. Plus, it wouldn't be just the existing 4.6L Northstar dropped in--there would be changes, like a next-gen Northstar. I would hope and expect to see Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #26
chrisl0

Yea I noticed that, but when I first heard of this engine it was in Caddies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #27
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Yea I noticed that, but when I first heard of this engine it was in Caddies.
Originally they were Caddie only. I think the first non-Caddie to get one was the 2nd gen Aurora followed my the dearly departed Bonnville GXP.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
chrisl0

Quote:
Originally they were Caddie only. I think the first non-Caddie to get one was the 2nd gen Aurora followed my the dearly departed Bonnville GXP.
Well I think it will be good for the vehicles that get it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #29
cdp326
Master Member

The Aurora was the first non-Cadillac to use a Northstar, but it wasn't exactly the same. It was 4.0L, and was comparable in output to the 3.6L V6.
The V8 going in the Lambdas, if it were the Northstar, would have to be upgraded. In most applications the 4.6 Northstar produces 275 hp, and that wouldn't look good considering how close that is to the 3.6L V6.

As for transmission, I would bet on a 6-speed automatic. I don't think they'd pair it with a 4-speed auto, at the price point and the newness of the vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #30
chrisl0

Yea that doesn't make sense. Why did they put a 275 HP V8 in a vehicle when you can do the same with a V6? It would be lighter, less complex, and probably more fuel efficient. I think if they are going to put a V8 in anything these days it should have 300 or more horsepower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #31
cdp326
Master Member

IIRC, the Northstar hasn't changed much in power outputs for a while. There is the benefit of more torque and the sound of a V8, but that's probably not very significant to many people. As I said before, the rumors say it's going to be sort of a next-gen Northstar, so I would think it'll produce more power.

I fully agree that a V8 nowadays should be at least 300 hp. With the midsize sedan segment topping out at 269 hp in the new '07 Camry V6 and many other V6 engines going up to 300 hp in luxury cars, anything less than 300 hp from a V8 just doesn't look too good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #32
chrisl0

Exactly when I see them putting 400 and 500 HP V8's and possibly 600 HP in the Corvette I think they can do more with a smaller engine and get more out of a bigger engine. Look at the Mazda CX-7 it only has a 4 cylinder engine but produces 244 HP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #33
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Exactly when I see them putting 400 and 500 HP V8's and possibly 600 HP in the Corvette I think they can do more with a smaller engine and get more out of a bigger engine. Look at the Mazda CX-7 it only has a 4 cylinder engine but produces 244 HP.
Well, the CX-7's I4 is turbocharged and direct injected. Direct injection is something that will be increasingly common on vehicles in the future, but not yet. The 260 hp I4 in the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Red Line is turbocharged and direct injected, too.
No idea if the V8 will get direct injection, but I wouldn't count it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #34
chrisl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
Well, the CX-7's I4 is turbocharged and direct injected. Direct injection is something that will be increasingly common on vehicles in the future, but not yet. The 260 hp I4 in the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Red Line is turbocharged and direct injected, too.
No idea if the V8 will get direct injection, but I wouldn't count it out.
Well I am just trying to show how they can get so much power out of a little engine. If they can get that much power with a 4 even turbo charged and direct injected imagine what they can do with a 8. No excuse for a under 300 hp v8 anymore. I would want a CX7 since you need to put 93 in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #35
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Well I am just trying to show how they can get so much power out of a little engine. If they can get that much power with a 4 even turbo charged and direct injected imagine what they can do with a 8. No excuse for a under 300 hp v8 anymore. I would want a CX7 since you need to put 93 in it.
Oh, I know. When there were rumors of a V8 based off the High Feature V6s, some of those things it may have included direct injection. Direct injection hasn't been used much until now due to the sulphur gasolines which led to emissions problems.
I would expect to see more direct injection engines in the future, probably as new generations of engines come out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #36
chrisl0

Well direct injection sounds great as long as you don't need to use premium. The CX7 needs premium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #37
cdp326
Master Member

That's probably more from the fact that it's turbocharged than it has direct injection. The same engine does duty in the Mazdaspeed 6, where it puts out more power and has a 6-speed manual (the latter of which you can get in the CX-7 in Europe).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #38
chrisl0

Yea thats why because its Turbocharged, I noticed that most Subaru's need premium for the same reason. I don't understand why you can't have it turbocharged and that it can run on 87?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #39
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Yea thats why because its Turbocharged, I noticed that most Subaru's need premium for the same reason. I don't understand why you can't have it turbocharged and that it can run on 87?
Higher compression requires higher octane. Otherwise it tends to detonate too early and knock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #40
chrisl0

Quote:
Higher compression requires higher octane. Otherwise it tends to detonate too early and knock.
Oh I see, its sucks they can't get that much horsepower out of a 4 without premium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!