SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #21
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

I put 93OCT In my DYT4000 18.5HP B&S Engine. (Also It has 5W30 SYN in it.) The Tank holds 5 gals.. So over 20$ to fill up the tractor. LOL. It runs better on 93 then 87. It is smother.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

well im not an expert but i heard most cars nowadays can run fine on cheap gas(87) there are manufac that recommend higher..my 91 lude si said to run 91 or higher..i only ran 87 had no problems...had a friend who had a mid 90s nissan truck..put upgraded spark plugs and higher fuel and had problems..he took it in and the nissan place said that lot of cars or set up for running on crappy gas so when u put in higher octane and plugs its like ur overdoing it...05 vue here i run 87 have no problems and usually instead of adding additives i everyonce in a while will put in 91 to kinda clean it up some..does that make sense? p.s tho i love hondays esp sanota and accents who in there right mind would still one? lmao..not at u..ya know?

Last edited by silversurfer13; 03-14-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: forgot something

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
allforhim325
allforhim325 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

I've noticed people seem to think that their cars perform better on "premium" gas. I tend to find this extremely funny. In the area that I live in there is no requirement or testing the octane that you are getting. Basically, you could be getting the same old 87 when you're paying for premium. I'm not saying that everyone is off to rip people off, and I no don't go to gas town usa or anything, but people around here will traverse out of their way for a cheaper premium gas because thats what their car "needs" and still be getting the same thing as someone else who paid 30 cents less.

Okay, done ranting, just thought I'd throw it out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to allforhim325's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help allforhim325 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
allforhim325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
SilverFox
SilverFox is on a distinguished road

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the engine's rating for fuel is the final say on what fuel you should put in the car. The owner's manual will usually tell you. As far as whether it runs better or not, it depends on the vehicle. It should be noted however that in some vehicles, a higher octane than what is recommended has also been said to hurt MPG. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea, but I do know that if it says 87, I will usually put 87 in it. If it says 93, then I will put 93 in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
SWilli
SWilli is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

"This compression ratio—somewhere in the neighborhood of eight to one—tolerates lower octane fuels (such as regular gasoline, good old 87 octane) without knocking"

The astra has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. I wonder if it would benefit from a higher octane gas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SWilli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SWilli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #26
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

Are you guys still arguing about this?

This argument has been going on for years, and all those who believe that higher octane gas is good gas and lower octane gas is bad cause are wrong. There's nothing good or bad about either, they just have different octane ratings.

Some engines adjust the timing automatically with a knock sensor. An engine designed for 87 octane may advance the timing more if higher octane fuel is used, and that might improve the performance of the engine a little bit, but not nearly as much as increasing the compression ratio.

In order to increase the compression ratio you'll have to remove the cylinder head and shave it down a bit so that the combustion chamber is smaller. This change in compression ratio will probably blow your head gasket and/or wear out your main bearings because the rest of the engine wasn't designed for a higher compression ratio.

Using higher octane fuel and advancing the spark also increases the combustion chamber pressures and could cause increased wear on your engine, but probably not enough to notice.

Anyway, after 20 years of arguing about this crap, I'd think you all would be done by now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
LakeAve
LakeAve is on a distinguished road

It's your money, spend it any way you like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LakeAve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LakeAve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LakeAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #28
Djb200882
Djb200882 is on a distinguished road

The higher compression ratio the engine has the more octaine it needs. My old chevy is 9.5 to 1 and it pings with 87 octaine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Djb200882's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Djb200882 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Djb200882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
John Olson
John Olson is on a distinguished road

I think if you drive the car hard then it is wise to use a higher octane gasoline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John Olson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John Olson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djb200882 View Post
The higher compression ratio the engine has the more octaine it needs. My old chevy is 9.5 to 1 and it pings with 87 octaine
Yes but does this Chevy have a distributor ignition system or distributorless ignition, with or without knock sensing? Old school mechanical distributors with rotors, caps, and contact points never had anything but spring loaded centrifugal weights and a vacuum diaphragm for some semblance of advancing/retarding timing. Nothing was done for pinging/detonation prevention except maintaining timing though mechanical means. Those engines couldn't have ideal timing and still prevent pinging so it was more important about which octane was needed. Although those systems were state of the art back then, they still had a lot to be desired. EFI systems with totally electronic controls makes timing more fuel efficient as well as allow better engine performance to take advantage of maximim advance timing right up to detonation where knock sensors are listening for and tell the pcm to retard timing just enough to stop it. Electronics at its best for the highest reaction time to continously changing engine performance as governed by our right foot application - lead footed all out acceleration or granny driving. Knock sensors and the programs to deal with it automatically adjust to every octane number we put in our tanks to maximize engine performance but only up to a point. A car rated for 87 octane will not gain 10, 20, whatever hp (some think) will be gained by using higher octane fuel, only that the engine will run somewhat smoother because of the higher knock resistance accompanying higher octane fuel allowing maximum advanced timing.

Driving a car hard does not mean higher octane is needed. If that were absolutely true then every vehicle manufacturer is lying about octane requirements. I can stand on my gas pedal all day and run with the recommended 87 octane and still never make my engine detonate/ping/knock. I have knock sensing to prevent it and still make maximum power all because of electronic fuel injection and all that it implies. My engine has either a 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Last edited by fdryer; 02-22-2010 at 02:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #31
danhammer
danhammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
I think if you drive the car hard then it is wise to use a higher octane gasoline.
Fiction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #32
danhammer
danhammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Most of you guys do not know anything about gas and octane. That is fine.
For you just use what the owners manual states to use. In ALL of these cases it does NOT EVER PAY to use higher octane than what the engine is built to run on. That is FACT!

In FACT in most cases the higher octane fuel will burn less efficiently in an engine designed for lower octane and this will hurt your gas milage as you are sending some unburt fuel out the exhaust or some of it is finishing buring in the exhaust system where it does no good for gas milage.

The octane number determines how high you can compress the fuel air mixture before it detonates. High compression engines and turbo and super chargers require higher octane to prevent detonation from happening before the timing triggers the spark plug to fire the mixture.

If you have modified your engine then you should have a working knowledge of octane already and should know what fuel your engine requires.
If not ask your tuner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #33
Tan97
Tan97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhammer View Post
Most of you guys do not know anything about gas and octane. That is fine.
For you just use what the owners manual states to use. In ALL of these cases it does NOT EVER PAY to use higher octane than what the engine is built to run on. That is FACT!

In FACT in most cases the higher octane fuel will burn less efficiently in an engine designed for lower octane and this will hurt your gas milage as you are sending some unburt fuel out the exhaust or some of it is finishing buring in the exhaust system where it does no good for gas milage.

The octane number determines how high you can compress the fuel air mixture before it detonates. High compression engines and turbo and super chargers require higher octane to prevent detonation from happening before the timing triggers the spark plug to fire the mixture.

If you have modified your engine then you should have a working knowledge of octane already and should know what fuel your engine requires.
If not ask your tuner.
He does a good job of a general description. What most are missing is that this question is being applied to Saturns not all vehicles.

Saturns will run on just about anything, but the MPG changes if the gas is bad. There is very limited benefit for high octane in the Saturn engines. Money can be better spent elsewhere. If you swap Therms or Plugs to different degrees of operation then you need to start looking at octane levels.

I run a turbo in one vehicle and an SC in another vehicle. My Turbo will run on lower octane than the SC before detonation. The SC engine has right at 8:1 compression. If I put less than 94 octane in it I pull the pin so the engine retards timing to keep it from knocking. Less power and less efficency, but safe engine.

Change the spark duration and temp or compression levels and you need to change octane to run safely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tan97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tan97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #34
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

I bought a new '06 Chevy HHR with the 2.4L and automatic. The manual recommended premium (91+), but said 87 was fine. I noticed a big difference between the two. For some reason, it was only '06 that stated this recommendation.

When I bought it (early production model - in '05), the EPA hadn't yet rated its mileage, so the sticker reflected GM's estimates. It was rated as 30 highway, which the EPA later (in '08 when revised) rated it at 28. I always ran premium, and I managed one tank average of 35 during a trip from here (Bellwood, PA) to Niagara Falls Canada and back - 512 miles on 14.5 gallons.

We run 89 in both of our 3.5L VUEs. I just don't trust many stations when it comes to their "cheap" gas (87).

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
Johnlawrence
Johnlawrence is on a distinguished road

I've detected people seem to reckon that their cars accomplish meliorate on "premium" gas. I lean to hit this extremely unusual. In the region that I elastic in there is no requirement or testing the octane that you are getting... so is there any other comparative replacement for the octane users........

Last edited by Johnlawrence; 10-08-2012 at 11:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Johnlawrence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Johnlawrence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Johnlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

The oil companies have you both coming and going....

Not only does premium burn faster, it costs more....!

The higher the octane, the fewer the calories per gallon.
Hence 89 has less energy, and burns faster in the average car than 87...

Unless your car requires high octane, you are wasting your money putting anything other than 87 in.

Most gas comes from the same refinery, the "additives" is a quart of detergent, into a tanker load...

Recent tests (by a state college) revealed that about 40 percent of gas was mislabeled,
some was low octane (83-85) labeled as 87,
most was 87 in 89 or 91+...

Whether this was deliberate or accidental, just remember the state does not check octane, just the pump accuracy....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
Calavera
Calavera is on a distinguished road

I generally use 87 octane, but every once in awhile I'll get premium thinking it will help clean it out a little.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Calavera's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Calavera reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
95-SC2
95-SC2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1

i use R90 in my SW when i can and it does make a diff. no to mention it helps the mileage alot! i get 46mpg CITY on R90! about 35 on 87 w/e %10

1996 SW-1c
About to under go complete Custom rebuild/Restoration.
It will be completely Modernized: made to look like it is a late 2000's semi-luxury vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95-SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95-SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95-SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

as a dealer tech who does engine&trans... this is what i know.....premum/supream depending on where you are and what it's called... has a slower and colder flame ft in the cyclinder during ignition..if the cars engine does not require it this leads to carbon build up.especialy on cars that do alot of short distance driveing..just because the temp gage says 1/2 and hot doesn't mean the engine is fully warmed up to the 212 gm considers full hot/optimum temp....so lots of short trips makes carbon.. that causes other issues such as oil consumption, pinging and retarded timming....while on flex fuel engines are equiped with a sensor to determine fuel rating and adjust the ingntion timming acordingly.. older ecm do to a limited extent have that control as well but the window of control is fixed to 15 degrees and under...regular has a hotter and faster flame front in the cyc and is able to help reduce carbon build up because that is what the moter was desighned to burn..so if you use premum in a reg gas engine... while you are not hurting it per say you are reduceing it's output due to the retarded timming and causeing carbon build up due to the slower/colder flame frount and making nox due to the incomlpete burn in the cyc,due to the slower burn so when on exhaust stroke the mix is still burning more so than the regular. witch would be mostly have spent the air/fuel charge in the cyc for that power stroke during ignition leaving the cat to use the waste heat and remaing burn to clean the exhaust up... the premum is still trying to finish burning the air/fule charge when the piston is 1/2 way up and the valve is open..making more nox,co.hc for the cat to deal with plus the lower than normal operating temps the cat wouuld have with regular.....i still find it is a preferance thing...if it takes regular and you use premum you are just paying more..also premum only engines have a lower comp ratio a regular moter is like 10 to 1 a preumum moter is like 8 to 1 for an example also you will find that pemum only engines are smaller in displacement.. for example out new ats is a 2.5L regular fuel naturaly asperated sidi engine with a 11 to 1 compression ratio while the trubo charged 2.0Lrunning premum is a 9&1/2 to 1 ratio...hth

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #40
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Not sure where you're getting info from but a random check shows a 2005 Corvette 6.0L V8 engine with 10.9:1 compression ratio requires premium fuel (91 octane). I thought the conventional wisdom was the higher the compression the higher the fuel octane requirement to prevent premature detonation if a regular fuel was used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote