SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2
Default Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...5F3705197C1D4F

Like we ever doubted Wolfman....

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

Take the money you spend on Premium gas and spend it on Premium Ice Cream because a pint of Ben and Jerrys has a lot more benefits than 93 Octane.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Take the money you spend on Premium gas and spend it on Premium Ice Cream because a pint of Ben and Jerrys has a lot more benefits than 93 Octane.
LOL

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Truer words were never spoken.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
fireman5031
fireman5031 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Granted Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream is among the best ice cream in the world, and undoubtedly, if ingested, Ben and Jerry’s is much healthier for your body. However, I have found that with my '04 Vue Red Line, I was getting better mileage if I used premium over regular. I did the experiment and tracked it for 2 months. The first month, I used only regular gas, and the second month, only premium. On average, I achieved almost an extra 25 miles to a tank of gas with the premium octane. Interesting, I thought. I kept using the premium and the mileage kept up, but I never had the time to sit down to figure out if the extra 25 miles was enough of a gain to offset the extra cost. Nevertheless, I did get better mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman5031's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman5031 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
NoRemorse
NoRemorse is on a distinguished road

Depending on the car, and how it is calibrated, it may get better gas millage out of higher octane gas.

On my car that has been 'tuned' (I hate that word) for 94 octane will get significantly worse gas millage if I put in low grade, or low octane fuel. It will revert to a 'low octane' timing map, and will effectively take out about 15 degrees of timing, that is a lot of power, and a lot of efficiency. For me at least, it would be about 60 miles a tank. Not to mention the damage to my engine that can occur in the time it runs in the high octane map (until it calculates that there is too much knock)

Of course, this only holds true if your ECM is expecting high octane, premium fuel. If not, it's not a big deal, they have the same detergents in them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoRemorse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoRemorse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NoRemorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Gas knock or pinging is the key from what I understand. If your engine pings and everything is set up correctly use 93 Octaine. Some older engines build up carbon on pistons and that may cause pinging(this is what I was told by the mechanics of old). If your car does not ping use 87 octaine. I use 93 in my 84 Corvette. My Corvettes 350 is modified and dumps much more fuel than the factory ever intended. It even has a newer fuel pump than the orginal because the orginal could not pump enough fuel. My computer was also changed to compensate for all this. Sure Im getting 9.6 mpg according to my fuel readout on the dash but who cares. Its one heck of a ride.Some of the mitsubeschi spyders, BMWs and some other cars require 93 or you will kill the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

High-performance engines, such as those in some sports cars or older, heavier automobiles, often boast much higher compression ratios. These cars—for example, Shepherd's Subaru WRX—require premium gasoline and will definitely knock without it. "I have to put the 92 octane in," he says. "It has a turbocharger."

And that's why I use premium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
fireman5031
fireman5031 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

So, whats the outcome? What is better to use? My Aura XE is rated for 87 octane, should I use the higher grade stuff just to be safe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman5031's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman5031 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

You're OK with 87. My Redline has a supercharger, so they recommend premium for that.

My previous SC-2s used 87 and were fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

fireman5031,
It can reasonably be assumed that if the owner's manual specifically states that regular 87 octane gasoline is recommended then one should follow the recommendation. As it stands, why would vehicle manufacturers state in the owners manual one octane rating if the car absolutely requires a higher octane? If it can be proven without a shadow of doubt by an independent entity that can be accepted in a court of law then there are definite ramifications. Those ramifications are a failure to disclose, misinformation, false advertising, liability issues that the unknowing public will join together to litigate the vehicle manufacturers, and a sense that the vehicle manufacturers are conspiring to defraud the automotive public. By following the manufacturers recommendation instead of word-of-mouth hearsay you are using the minimum octane required to operate you engine properly. A higher octane is just more money for the gasoline retailer and little benefit to your motor, all things taken into consideration. The car isn't hauling a yacht, four atv's, a motorhome, etc., that would create an undue load upon the engine/transmission system. Then it might warrant buying hi-octane for the time being to allow the engine the slight advantage because of the higher engine load otherwise regular unleaded for everyday use.

By recommending fuel with an octane rating the vehicle manufacturers are protecting themselves from this liability issue especially when a higher octane is needed for high performance engines which are spelled out in the owner's manual and probably labeled appropriately inside the fuel door in bold letters.

Last edited by fdryer; 02-02-2007 at 01:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Batman87
Batman87 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Premium gas provides no advantage on regular cars, all premium means is that it is less likely to combust early under compression(knock).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Batman87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Batman87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Batman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman87 View Post
Premium gas provides no advantage on regular cars, all premium means is that it is less likely to combust early under compression(knock).

True, and the reason is because higher octane fuels contain more MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether), OR ETBE (ethyl tertiary butyl ether). Both of which are designed specifically to reduce the chance of knock. Premium fuel knocks less because it burns less violently. It's not as combustible. I'm glad I'm not the only person who knows this stuff.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

well im not an expert but i heard most cars nowadays can run fine on cheap gas(87) there are manufac that recommend higher..my 91 lude si said to run 91 or higher..i only ran 87 had no problems...had a friend who had a mid 90s nissan truck..put upgraded spark plugs and higher fuel and had problems..he took it in and the nissan place said that lot of cars or set up for running on crappy gas so when u put in higher octane and plugs its like ur overdoing it...05 vue here i run 87 have no problems and usually instead of adding additives i everyonce in a while will put in 91 to kinda clean it up some..does that make sense? p.s tho i love hondays esp sanota and accents who in there right mind would still one? lmao..not at u..ya know?

Last edited by silversurfer13; 03-14-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: forgot something

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
Djb200882
Djb200882 is on a distinguished road

The higher compression ratio the engine has the more octaine it needs. My old chevy is 9.5 to 1 and it pings with 87 octaine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Djb200882's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Djb200882 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Djb200882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
John Olson
John Olson is on a distinguished road

I think if you drive the car hard then it is wise to use a higher octane gasoline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John Olson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John Olson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
danhammer
danhammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
I think if you drive the car hard then it is wise to use a higher octane gasoline.
Fiction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #18
danhammer
danhammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Most of you guys do not know anything about gas and octane. That is fine.
For you just use what the owners manual states to use. In ALL of these cases it does NOT EVER PAY to use higher octane than what the engine is built to run on. That is FACT!

In FACT in most cases the higher octane fuel will burn less efficiently in an engine designed for lower octane and this will hurt your gas milage as you are sending some unburt fuel out the exhaust or some of it is finishing buring in the exhaust system where it does no good for gas milage.

The octane number determines how high you can compress the fuel air mixture before it detonates. High compression engines and turbo and super chargers require higher octane to prevent detonation from happening before the timing triggers the spark plug to fire the mixture.

If you have modified your engine then you should have a working knowledge of octane already and should know what fuel your engine requires.
If not ask your tuner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Tan97
Tan97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhammer View Post
Most of you guys do not know anything about gas and octane. That is fine.
For you just use what the owners manual states to use. In ALL of these cases it does NOT EVER PAY to use higher octane than what the engine is built to run on. That is FACT!

In FACT in most cases the higher octane fuel will burn less efficiently in an engine designed for lower octane and this will hurt your gas milage as you are sending some unburt fuel out the exhaust or some of it is finishing buring in the exhaust system where it does no good for gas milage.

The octane number determines how high you can compress the fuel air mixture before it detonates. High compression engines and turbo and super chargers require higher octane to prevent detonation from happening before the timing triggers the spark plug to fire the mixture.

If you have modified your engine then you should have a working knowledge of octane already and should know what fuel your engine requires.
If not ask your tuner.
He does a good job of a general description. What most are missing is that this question is being applied to Saturns not all vehicles.

Saturns will run on just about anything, but the MPG changes if the gas is bad. There is very limited benefit for high octane in the Saturn engines. Money can be better spent elsewhere. If you swap Therms or Plugs to different degrees of operation then you need to start looking at octane levels.

I run a turbo in one vehicle and an SC in another vehicle. My Turbo will run on lower octane than the SC before detonation. The SC engine has right at 8:1 compression. If I put less than 94 octane in it I pull the pin so the engine retards timing to keep it from knocking. Less power and less efficency, but safe engine.

Change the spark duration and temp or compression levels and you need to change octane to run safely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tan97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tan97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djb200882 View Post
The higher compression ratio the engine has the more octaine it needs. My old chevy is 9.5 to 1 and it pings with 87 octaine
Yes but does this Chevy have a distributor ignition system or distributorless ignition, with or without knock sensing? Old school mechanical distributors with rotors, caps, and contact points never had anything but spring loaded centrifugal weights and a vacuum diaphragm for some semblance of advancing/retarding timing. Nothing was done for pinging/detonation prevention except maintaining timing though mechanical means. Those engines couldn't have ideal timing and still prevent pinging so it was more important about which octane was needed. Although those systems were state of the art back then, they still had a lot to be desired. EFI systems with totally electronic controls makes timing more fuel efficient as well as allow better engine performance to take advantage of maximim advance timing right up to detonation where knock sensors are listening for and tell the pcm to retard timing just enough to stop it. Electronics at its best for the highest reaction time to continously changing engine performance as governed by our right foot application - lead footed all out acceleration or granny driving. Knock sensors and the programs to deal with it automatically adjust to every octane number we put in our tanks to maximize engine performance but only up to a point. A car rated for 87 octane will not gain 10, 20, whatever hp (some think) will be gained by using higher octane fuel, only that the engine will run somewhat smoother because of the higher knock resistance accompanying higher octane fuel allowing maximum advanced timing.

Driving a car hard does not mean higher octane is needed. If that were absolutely true then every vehicle manufacturer is lying about octane requirements. I can stand on my gas pedal all day and run with the recommended 87 octane and still never make my engine detonate/ping/knock. I have knock sensing to prevent it and still make maximum power all because of electronic fuel injection and all that it implies. My engine has either a 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Last edited by fdryer; 02-22-2010 at 02:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote