SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
TEXASSATURN
TEXASSATURN is on a distinguished road

Default VTi Failure - Second Time Around - Buy Back Options?

My 2003 VTi failed this morning. Had to have it towed to dealership. Severe grinding sound, horrid smell, and complete loss of power. First failure at 18,000. Second at 37,000.
I'd like to know if anyone has successfully had Saturn take back their VUE. Will call Customer Care tomorrow but the first time was a nightmare. Am not expecting anything different this time around. I do have local dealer "thinking" about the situation. Will probably be Monday before a tech can examine the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TEXASSATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TEXASSATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
joerockt
joerockt is on a distinguished road

Well, they have newly recalibrated Vti's so they should have no problem replacing yours with one of the new ones. Just be firm with them and demand they do this. Dont waste time with the techs, go right to the service mgr or the GM.

Your on pace for the lemon law. Not sure how Texas works though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joerockt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joerockt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
VUE62
VUE62 is on a distinguished road

Sorry about these troubles with your vehicle. We too had owned an 03 VUE with VTi problems, but did not have total melt downs like you described. And I thought what we had was intolerable! You are in a whole different class of pain here, and you have my sincere sympathy. The rest here is just all my opinion, for what its worth:

The thing I hate about lemon law is that it really seems to protect dealers and manufacturer's more than consumers. By the time you meet all the tests and criteria to qualify for relief by law, you'll be ready to kill someone, possibly even yourself, just to have it over with. No one should have to be tortured like that IMO. (Obviously, I've been thru this once already in my life.) I doubt it will take anything less than Lawyers, Guns & Money (the late, great Zevon!) to get Saturn to take back your car, and even then it might not get it done. No harm in trying though. Make all the calls, document them it will help sell your case later. Then what is left after they say, "no"? Are you going to allow them to repair this flawed car yet again and hope that the 3rd time on the transmission is the charm? Is that prudent based on your experience to date? Can anyone afford to be making payments on this vehicle when in reality its on the way to becoming worthless soon, as a trade or used car sale? There is not going to be much market demand for 02 or 03 Vue's with 4cyl VTi... problems are fairly public knowledge now and that bad rap will only spread with time. Not to mention that you've run up 37K on the speedo already and extended warranty ends at 75K... looming in your headlites man. If you are at 76K on the clock when the next meltdown comes, you are sinking $4,000.00 minimum out of your own pocket into a worthless car that you may owe like 10 large on still, just to get the wretched thing rolling again. This is just so wrong if it came to that.
Suggest that you need to really get with the guys you originally purchased the car from, with management present; and tell them you won't live with this any longer. Make them work you a deal out of this car. If you like the Vue concept (other than the VTi plague) you can opt for a 5 speed manual, or the '04 unit with the nice 3.5 V6 and 5 speed stepped gear auto tranny. With the incentives currently floating out there, if these guys can't make the numbers work for you, they aren't trying. You'll have to be willing to settle on something available from inventory or a dealer swap though. And Don't cave to the Blue Book trade value for your 03. They will throw this crap at you like 11 or 12 grand. They have to do better, they owe it to you. If they can't be somewhere between 13 to 14, walk out of there and threaten legal action. Be persistant, if this is the path you decide to try, and good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Oh one last thing. We drive a new 04 VUE with the sweet honda V6/ auto 5 speed now. Did not lose my shirt to dump the 03 for this vastly superior vehicle, but we still lost some $ on the front end that I rationalize was cheaper than what we stood to lose potentially on the back. Won't be able to give you more particulars of our deal, other than to encourage you that yes, it is possible. Go for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUE62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUE62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

I would strongly suggest you cut your losses now and trade up for the 04 manual while it's in the shop. Make a point to talk to the manager and make a spectacle of yourself in the showroom if you have to. At least that's what I would do if mine failed twice. They should give you a really good deal on a new one and you won't have to ever worry about the VTI again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
JChambors
JChambors is on a distinguished road

What exactly is a recalibrated VTI anyway? The same transmission with some tweaks in the control program? I don't see how that can be much of an improvement. Same design, different band-aids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JChambors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JChambors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

According to a document on GM's web site, there are bearing upgrades on the output axis - one using a higher strength steel, and a needle bearing made longer "to increase high milege durability." The full text is posted elsewhere in these forums. It is also my understanding there is a software update/recalibration implemented, according to a late-2003 TSB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
tominsky
Advanced Member
tominsky is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by pd1601
According to a document on GM's web site, there are bearing upgrades on the output axis - one using a higher strength steel, and a needle bearing made longer "to increase high milege durability." The full text is posted elsewhere in these forums. It is also my understanding there is a software update/recalibration implemented, according to a late-2003 TSB.
Where is it posted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tominsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tominsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally posted by tominsky
Where is it posted?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=32984

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread