SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #41
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 2010 sky redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
in the us they sold approx 15,000 of them in 2 years. thats not good.
I agree, not good but as has been discussed multiple times over, there were many reasons for it. The Astra platform really, given the chance here, could have put Saturn in a very good position. If you look at how many model variations are based on it in Europe, the possibilities were endless.

But we are getting sidetracked from the original issue of this thread, the 2010 Skys that were built.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

agreed..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #43
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Anyone else on here own one of these 2010's?

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #44
2010SaturnSky
2010SaturnSky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
we got all 8 2010 skys and 2 have sold. one of the sold ones was the blue one.
I am sorry to say, but I have a 2010 Saturn Sky. Its Charcoal Gray and not a RedLine. VIN # ends in 8. Brought it from a GM dealer, he said a GM big shot had it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2010SaturnSky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2010SaturnSky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2010SaturnSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #45
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

interesting to keep track of. very rare car. all 8 were driven by gm execs. our dealer bought all 8 and eventually sold them all. still nobody ever gave us a reason of why they were built. all in 1 day 8 skys, 21 soltace and 1 opel for export. we sold 6 in minnesota, 1 went to ohio and 1 to florida.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #46
02OrangeSC2

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
interesting to keep track of. very rare car. all 8 were driven by gm execs. our dealer bought all 8 and eventually sold them all. still nobody ever gave us a reason of why they were built. all in 1 day 8 skys, 21 soltace and 1 opel for export. we sold 6 in minnesota, 1 went to ohio and 1 to florida.
Ive made a point since I got my 2010 Sky to research everything about them, and where they all are now. The reason why these cars were built was because prior to the actual bankruptcy GM was business as usual and there was going to be a full 2010 MY of the Kappas. GM always does a pre-production build at each plant. Those cars are used by GM execs and for media events. Following their use by GM, they are sold through the GM PEP program. However with these cars, since there was never a 2010 MY beyond the original 8 Sky's, 8 Solstice Roadsters, 12 Solstice Coupes, and 2 Opel GT's, they were sold through the dealer auction system. Which is how the Saturn dealer was able to get them.

By the time the bankruptcy happened, that's when the Sky was going to be dropped for 2010, because at that point Pontiac was going away and so there would be no more Solstice. The Wilmington plant was already underutilized with the Kappas, so it could never support just one low volume car. The Aura, Vue, and Outlook were going to live on merely because of the potential deal with Penske, and their plants were not closing and other models built there shared the same platforms. This gave Penske a vehicle supply until he could source his own vehicles.

There were so many 2010 Vue's and Outlooks because they plants had already began 2010 production for those before the bankruptcy, and subsequently they continued production and those 2010's were sold to fleet customers only.

From what I have been able to gather, no 2010 Aura was built.

There is much discussion on Solstice Forum and Skyroadster about these 30 2010 Kappa cars.

I wish I knew where the blue one was. That would be the ultimate addition to my collection.

Fun fact, mine was the only 2010 Sky with the red/black interior.

96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #47
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

its really interesting that they were built. i think i agree with all you said except that i was at saturn at that time and all our info and order books showed all saturns would be built for 2010 exept no sky. order guides had all the 2010 saturns (outlook, vue, aura) but no sky. astra was gone after 2008. (usa).if you remember roger penske was buying saturn. that deal didnt fall thru until about beginiing of september or so. they had just started building outlooks and vues so sold them to rentals. made a bunch more outlooks in the spring of 2010. ive also never heard of a 2010 aura. would have looked like the 2009 but no repeater light on the front side. 2010 saturns were to be taken down from a higher level gm car to a lower level and offcially not a gm car. penske was to buy the gm saturns for a couple of years then sell a car built by???? working with nissan to build them. that deal fell thru and that was it for saturn. i wish i would have saved more stuff on the 8 skys. i had everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #48
02OrangeSC2

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
its really interesting that they were built. i think i agree with all you said except that i was at saturn at that time and all our info and order books showed all saturns would be built for 2010 exept no sky. order guides had all the 2010 saturns (outlook, vue, aura) but no sky. astra was gone after 2008. (usa).if you remember roger penske was buying saturn. that deal didnt fall thru until about beginiing of september or so. they had just started building outlooks and vues so sold them to rentals. made a bunch more outlooks in the spring of 2010. ive also never heard of a 2010 aura. would have looked like the 2009 but no repeater light on the front side. 2010 saturns were to be taken down from a higher level gm car to a lower level and offcially not a gm car. penske was to buy the gm saturns for a couple of years then sell a car built by???? working with nissan to build them. that deal fell thru and that was it for saturn. i wish i would have saved more stuff on the 8 skys. i had everything.
There was going to be a 2010 model year of the Kappa's before the bankruptcy. I was with a Saturn store too. In fact it was the one that was part of the Al Serra group which was partnered with Penske on the Saturn deal, so I know a lot about what was going on behind the scenes on that deal. Samsung was the Koren arm of Nissan that Penske wanted to get cars through. Officially it was said that Penske killed the deal because he could not work out a deal with them. However, unofficially I heard that GM pulled the plug on the deal because of how loyal the Saturn customer base was, they did not want the competition.

There is a lot of information on the other Kappa forums that backs the 2010 MY claims, including 2010 product changes and order guides. The plant would not have survived without the Sky/GT/G2X. The Solstice production alone was not enough to sustain the place. We also had a member of the GM team from the Wilmington plant at one of our national meets a couple years back who I also talked to about the 2010 MY. And through my contacts through GM I learned that 2011 was going to be a mid cycle refresh and 2015 a redesign.

I think your store may not have had 2010 Sky product info mainly because in that time of turmoil in the auto industry, they were not quick to release updated product info just because things were changing day to day. But the plants still had to function as usual just in case.

I also wish you still had more info on the 8 2010 Sky's your dealer had. I like to get my hands on anything possible pertaining to all 30 2010's.

96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #49
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

just saw in carsforsale.com there is a 2010 soltice (made the same day s the 8 2010 skys) for sale for 77,000. believe they mae 21 soltices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #50
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

now 5 2010 soltice for sale on carsforsale.com nationwide. prices from 50,000 to 79,000. no reason the 8 2010 skys shouldnt be worth the same..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!