SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default It Could Be Time to Buy a Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

It Could Be Time to Buy a Saturn

Quote:
Jessica Anderson from Kiplinger's Personal Finance: If you're in the market for a new car, GM's loss could be your gain. Saturn's dealers have until the end of October 2010 to close, now that a deal has fallen through to sell the car line to the Penske Automotive Group. But many showrooms could close by January because inventory is low. That means the sooner you shop, the better your choices.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: It Could Be Time to Buy a Saturn

Saturn of Elmhurst closed today Rip.
As it was in the begining it is at the end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
One-Eyed-Snake
One-Eyed-Snake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn 51 View Post
Saturn of Elmhurst closed today Rip.
As it was in the begining it is at the end.
There was no forewarning....never could get a clear answer out of anyone when this day would come....they knew....they knew when it was. Grand Ave. is so depressed, just watch 10 years from now...only Honda will be left. They'll take over the whole block like Long Chevrolet did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to One-Eyed-Snake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help One-Eyed-Snake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
One-Eyed-Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
ESA1178
ESA1178 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'd like to replace my 2004 VUE with a 2009 VUE HYBRID.
What with a $5500 off offer!
But who will service the SUV, and honor the warranty after Saturn Dealers close?

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ESA1178's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ESA1178 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ESA1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
05SaturnRL
05SaturnRL is on a distinguished road

Good luck finding delaers with much of a selection, or much less any new Saturn on the lot. The one here only has used vehicles now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESA1178 View Post
But who will service the SUV, and honor the warranty after Saturn Dealers close?

Mark
Um, GM. So they say at least

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05SaturnRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05SaturnRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05SaturnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:

Mark
Any GM dealer. I was told to take my recently purchased Aura to the Cadillac dealer that purchased the remaining inventory from the Saturn dealer I bought my car from. But if I do ever need any warrenty work, I'll be taking it to a Buick/GMC dealer where a friend of the family is a service writer.

it's not the old days where Saturns were unique. They're now carbon copies of other GM vehicles.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
I'd like to replace my 2004 VUE with a 2009 VUE HYBRID.
What with a $5500 off offer!

Mark
I would not touch a hybrid from a dying company with a 30-foot pole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
it's not the old days where Saturns were unique. They're now carbon copies of other GM vehicles.
with huge chunks on the sides from all the overusing and ripping off..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
I would not touch a hybrid from a dying company with a 30-foot pole.
+1
I still can't understand why anyone would want to buy a brand new vehicle from a defunct manufacturer unless the price was such that you couldn't say no, as in 50% of dealer cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
+1
I still can't understand why anyone would want to buy a brand new vehicle from a defunct manufacturer unless the price was such that you couldn't say no, as in 50% of dealer cost.
Its thinking like that, that makes finding good deals easy for people like me. The manufactuer isnt defunct. Its still around and probably will be for a long time.

Saturns are copies of current GM models. I just bought an Aura. Its a twin of the Malibu, G6 and CTS. Plenty of dealer support and parts to be found. But people who dont know any better think its an orphan car. And I got a great deal because of it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
+1
Saturn has not been a manufacturer since the S-Series, L-Series, ION, and original VUE. The current Saturn is a brand that has "Saturn" versions of other GM/Opel products. GM is not defunct. getting my SC2 serviced after the Saturn retailers are closed will be tricky since they didn't share anything with other divisions of GM. at least the 4-cylinder L-, ION and VUE had ecotec engines.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Its thinking like that, that makes finding good deals easy for people like me. The manufactuer isnt defunct. Its still around and probably will be for a long time.

Saturns are copies of current GM models. I just bought an Aura. Its a twin of the Malibu, G6 and CTS. Plenty of dealer support and parts to be found. But people who dont know any better think its an orphan car. And I got a great deal because of it.
Enjoy your "good deal." Getting parts is only one part of the equation. The poor resale value is going to be a lifelong issue (which isn't a problem if you're going to keep it until the second coming). The forums are already peppered with owners who are getting the runaround from GM dealers about servicing their Saturn. That might get better when Saturn is officially dead for good....or it might not. I don't think I'd be willing to take that risk myself.

Ho ho ho!

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Enjoy your "good deal." Getting parts is only one part of the equation. The poor resale value is going to be a lifelong issue (which isn't a problem if you're going to keep it until the second coming). The forums are already peppered with owners who are getting the runaround from GM dealers about servicing their Saturn. That might get better when Saturn is officially dead for good....or it might not. I don't think I'd be willing to take that risk myself.

Ho ho ho!
in this case, what if Auras are just as easy (if not moreso) to work on as the S-series?

I know it's 2009, going into 2010, and most places made it harder for people to work on cars (save for dealers and garages) but still...

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
in this case, what if Auras are just as easy (if not moreso) to work on as the S-series?
Scenario: You take your Aura in to your local Chev dealer for warranty work. Who will get looked after sooner, the dealer's own Chev customers or you with your orphaned Saturn?
Parts required? Oh, we don't stock any Saturn parts. That'll be next week from the Saturn parts warehouse in (fill in whatever state you want).
Loaner? Sorry, you're not our customer.
Trade in value? Oh man, those Saturns have taken a nosedive as they're no longer being made or sold. Sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

..I meant in terms of DIY work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
bigbird

Quote:
..I meant in terms of DIY work.
I would call the Aura/Malibu 4 cylinder engine much easier to work on than the S engines.
Ever change the oil and filter on the S? Whoever designed the location of the oil filter should be sent to the Gulag. The Ecotec cartridge filter set the bar for ease of changing.
Brakes are brakes so no difference there. Changing coolant pretty much the same for both.
The V6 Aura is an entirely different kettle of fish and I have no experience with that engine so I can't comment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
I would call the Aura/Malibu 4 cylinder engine much easier to work on than the S engines.
Ah, sweet. Still good to know Saturn was back to its roots (somewhat) with the Aura

Quote:
Ever change the oil and filter on the S? Whoever designed the location of the oil filter should be sent to the Gulag. The Ecotec cartridge filter set the bar for ease of changing.
I concur. I actually changed my own oil two weeks ago (or so), and the filter location IS like UGH... WHY?!?!?!

the fact that I had a LOAD of fun () getting that damn filter off doesn't help.
Quote:
Brakes are brakes so no difference there.
Eh, still take my brakes to a shop.. that and most anything fuel related...

Quote:
Changing coolant pretty much the same for both.
so what, you could easy swap out that dex-cool CRAP for the yellow stuff?

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #18
bigbird

Quote:
I've regularly serviced 10 different GM vehicles over the last 15 years and never had a coolant/head gasket/overheating issue in any of them. Dexcool's OK in my books.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #19
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
I've regularly serviced 10 different GM vehicles over the last 15 years and never had a coolant/head gasket/overheating issue in any of them. Dexcool's OK in my books.
Consider yourself lucky. Guess you never had occasion to work on any 90's-era GM 3.1/3.4L V6es. They are infamous for this very reason.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
and ruin your engine because there's no way to completely clean out all the old coolant without removing the engine and disassembling it.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote