SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Squilly
Squilly is on a distinguished road

Default The DREADED P0455

Hello All, I have been a "lurker" here for a while and thought it was time to join in and hopefully help me solve an ongoing problem.

I am having a code P0455 on an 04 LW300. Initially I discovered a stuck open Purge Solenoid. This resulted in stalling and poor running so it was easy to identify. What is not so easy is why I continue to get the P0455. I am now clearly chasing my tail without a good scanner to run diags and see real time data...so Im getting very frustrated.

Work done so far...

*replaced the purge valve as well as tested the new unit to see if it opened with voltage supplied.
*Found a rotted line at the filler neck (the small diameter) and repaired it.
*Dropped the tank and verified that it and the EVAP canister can hold pressure with no leaks.
*Replaced fuel cap and verified the neck can hold pressure
*Tested lines running back to tank...no cracks or leaks.
*Fuel pump is brand new
*Vent solenoid is functional and responds to "EVAP test" and closes off the vent tube as it should

The entire system seems to have no leaks whatsoever.

What I cannot easily verify is if the PCM is actuating the Purge Solenoid, since this code can be caused by a leak... OR No flow... OR the TPS in the new fuel pump assy cannot measure pressure correctly... So in other words I am losing strands of hair at a rate with which my current crop of hair cannot support.

I am currently leaning toward the No Flow idea until someone or something helps me to think otherwise.

A PCM Pinout would be very helpful for me to determine the integrity of the Purge Solenoid wiring from the plug to the PCM pin... Which pin is it exactly?

** In addition... I was trying to trace the green ground signal wire from the Purge Solenoid plug up to the PCM plug... While probing the green wire...and then every pin in the PCM connector under the hood... I had at least 4 wires show continuity between the green wire at the solenoid plug...to the PCM plug... THIS...Did not seem good... So that Pinout diagram would really help matters... Maybe some wires have somehow gained connection to each other... I dont know... The Pinout would solve this dilemma.

So ANY ASSISTANCE would be greatly appreciated... The PCM pinout would be wonderful. I am more than a little experienced mechanically and troubleshooting wise... But sometimes...without the right diag equipment...things get tricky. I could really use some help here.

Last edited by Squilly; 11-10-2018 at 01:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squilly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: The DREADED P0455

My troubles started out as an intermittent P0442 small evap system leak and turned into P0455 large evap system leak. The small vent pipe running alongside the fuel filler pipe corroded until it broke at the mid point bracket. I thought silicone spray on the cap seal, trying repairs to the cap and then replacing it would make P0455 go away but noooooo. As soon as I crawled under the rear and looked, the fuel vent line rotted away (NYC salting to season roads and highways around here). Replacing the fuel fill pipe assembly erased those error codes. That was a few years ago.

I don't have access to my library but if and when I do, I can post some pinouts if it'll help. I wouldn't presume the automated evap system checks and other ecm functions are faulty yet. That might be a large assumption when its more likely to be a wiring, mechanical or sensor issue. I think you need a plumbing diagram of the evap system to have a perspective on plumbing. You might be able to find service manual info here with a search to describe evap function but not when it occurs. For whatever reason, it's a dark secret about any semblance of sequences when ignition is turned on/engine started/car driven when emissions programs begins and ends. Suffice it to say it's complicated. I've stopped at many stoplights when I hear the fuel vent solenoid click on and off several times. No rhyme or reason when it occurs but it seems to occur after driving some minutes before I hear it. While driving, its more difficult to hear the vent solenoid among the potholes and worn suspension so it may occur as I'm driving. Without the radio on and windows up, I can hear the solenoid clicking while stopped. Not all the time but often enough to figure out its coming from the right rear passenger side where the fuel fill and vent solenoid are located.

Here are two links describing P0455;

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0455_saturn.html

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

You might find a YouTube video or two on L300 evap error codes. I haven't checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, Squilly!

Beginning in '04 all L-Series cars were designated as _-300 regardless of which engine was in the car. Please go back into the User CP and add in your Primary Saturn Model and Year information so that it will appear beneath your log-in name with each post you create. It's very helpful. Thank you!

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Squilly
Squilly is on a distinguished road

MUCH OBLIGED... There are two wagons in my local "You pull it" yard...so I am going to head there in the morning to see if one of those has a better fuel filler setup...if so I will grab it.

Thank you for the links... I have read those particular problem descriptions so many times I think I have them memorized! LOL...

I will post my results after swapping out the new filler neck and associated plumbing.

My quest for the Pinout is still ongoing...so if ANYONE has this vehicles pinout information, please pass it along. I have the nagging feeling the purge solenoid is not being actuated, but I cannot be sure. I need to trace and verify the harness connections before I can rest.

Im also trying to get my hands on my old Autel DS 708 computer that someone "Borrowed"...I wont elaborate on that but you can imagine how angry I am while having this problem and not having my diagnostic computer to run all the pertinent tests one needs to run in this instance... Never again... Im a nice guy who tries to help but someone has helped me out of my most important helper by taking my computer...Im not happy about it to say the least. Oh well...what can I do?

Again thank you very much for the information and if anyone has the Pinout...PLEASE pass it along.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can test the purge solenoid by applying 12v to it. Blow thru it first then apply 12v to see any change in valve operation. You'll test for solenoid operation and valve opening/closing. You can wire a small 12v test lamp in parallel to the purge solenoid connectors too. Insulated 'T' pins can pierce insulation (the small holes will self heal after removing pins) connecting a length of wires to a 12v bulb taped outside or inside in view while driving. This may work better without checking pinouts to the ecm and continuity testing two wires.

If you need pinouts, pm me an email address that allows files. Include car info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had the very same problem with a rusted evap tube from the gas tank to the gas cap. I didn't replace it. I cut out the rusted section, cleaned the tube up the best I could and used a section of rubber fuel line with hose clamps. It fixed the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When done correctly, a diy repair with minimal costs is one way to go but there are caveats. I see no reason against any form of repairs as long as it corrects the problem and doesn't create a new one. While I would have liked to use a cut and splice method, one look at my severely corroded steel vent and fuel line simply meant replacement with either a new or used assembly free of rust or at least surface rust that can be removed and coated to delay future corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!