SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #21
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Antifreeze is leaking!!! Help

I found two leaks. One very small leak on the quick disconnect connector on one of the heater core connections. No coolant was on the carpet beneath the heater core. There is coolant at the firewall. The foam is soaked and the carpet is wet.

The second leak is from the white quick disconnect in the engine compartment. The hoses were completely dry, but on the tube side it was leaking once every 11 seconds which is the same rate it is leaking out the sub frame triangle bolt area. I was able to see it after I jacked the car up 20" to get underneath with proper lighting. The coolant is likely jetting/running down the pipe into the firewall, dripping down the exhaust shield and on to the sub frame where it is dripping at a rate of 1 drop every 11 seconds. The leak is not from inside like I had initially thought. Two leaks made it difficult to isolate hence the mystery is solved!

The remainder of the coolant I found in small places in the engine bay were likely from when the water pump let go a few months ago and those areas are still showing the color of coolant. Coolant was everywhere when the water pump let go.

The photos below are looking up from underneath the firewall at the white connector as the coolant is dripping off the rear tip of the plastic never reaching the actual hose.

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

There is nothing special about these O-Rings. I searched Saturnfans for the DIY O-ring repair, but the Grainger P/N's 1CGN7 or AS568A-210 don't exist today. Anyone know what O-Rings will work that I can buy anywhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Back in '08 a member bought a bag of 100 O-rings and asked if anyone needed some. I asked and received a set. With eight eyes (two real ones, three pairs of low/medium/high varifocal eyeglasses) I measured for size. According to my measurements, 2.5mm or 9/64" thick, 19mm/0.75" inside diameter, 25.5mm/1.0" outside diameter. Try Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA, Autozone, etc, for O-rings. Plumbing or auto parts. Mine appear to be plain black nylon or neoprene. If you have zero luck, pm me an address and I'll send a pair(?) thru the mail.

Worse case scenario; cut off the quick couplers and the hoses should slip over the fittings, a worm clamp to fix it. One or two members did this. If the hoses are too short, get new ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #23
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I stumbled across this You Tube which covers a coolant leak by the firewall on a 4 pot L series. Hope this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igRkr_4tpM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #24
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I stumbled across this You Tube which covers a coolant leak by the firewall on a 4 pot L series. Hope this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igRkr_4tpM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #25
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That is an great video, but the 3.0 6 cylinder is a beotch! Not only that, but the quick connect connector has spilled it's guts. There was a green half moon piece of plastic resting on the pipe, then a white or yellowish full circle part that moves and slides against the hose end and back. The hose won't come off and I can't figure out how to get it to release. I think the release mechanism is long gone. So now what?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I posted how these quick connects operate in past threads. Either search for them or view the following videos. The first one has a drawing of coupler operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igRkr_4tpM - about 4:40 shows the drawing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhhTIRARdw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #27
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The quick disconnect outer band end near the firewall is gone. The release button is gone. A small green half moon was dancing loose on the pipe and there is a white/yellowish piece that can slide away from what's left of the quick disconnect assembly. Basically, the mechanism to release the connector is gone. I can't unlock the latch much less understand it. I started cutting the quick disconnect connecter *&(&(*&^&^&ing what's left of it in half so I can remove it. It's slow going because there is barely any access on the 6 cylinder. I tried a channel locks but it wouldn't come off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #28
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not familiar with this coupler but it isn't rocket science, just puzzling. While randomly viewing youtube videos, I came across another GM model about damaged heater hose couplers. I wasn't searching but my guess is youtube collects and logs my viewing habits and selected another video about heater hose couplers.

Try searching youtube for GM heater hose couplers. You might find more info from others recording and sharing their findings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #29
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here are a couple picts of our pump and where we hook it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9BE58773-DA76-4BA8-B4D4-F519958B4F84.jpg (120.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ABA0C4FD-7363-430D-AC45-CD4A077A0ACA.jpg (136.5 KB, 7 views)

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 AM   #30
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
The quick disconnect outer band end near the firewall is gone. The release button is gone. A small green half moon was dancing loose on the pipe and there is a white/yellowish piece that can slide away from what's left of the quick disconnect assembly. Basically, the mechanism to release the connector is gone. I can't unlock the latch much less understand it. I started cutting the quick disconnect connecter *&(&(*&^&^&ing what's left of it in half so I can remove it. It's slow going because there is barely any access on the 6 cylinder. I tried a channel locks but it wouldn't come off.
Oh no, that's awful! Judging from your description of the condition in which you found those heater hose couplers, it seems to me that some other DIYer (or really poor mechanic) attempted to remove the hoses and eventually gave up (in frustration...[?]).

I could not remove the quick disconnect ends of the OE style heater hoses even after I'd studied how it was done. I ended up doing what you've been doing, cutting through the connector/breaking it apart. That was slow going for me in spite of the fact the four cylinder engine leaves one with much more room to work on them in that way. I could only break the coupler apart after enough of it had been cut into at more than one point. What makes it so difficult to remove is that the plastic is not only on the outside but also on the inside diameter of the hose. It's very tough!

At my first hose replacement I foolishly believed that I had to go with the OE hose because of the quick connect/disconnect feature. I was quite wrong about that. At 200K miles the replacement heater hoses were aftermarket and I used regular worm-drive clamps.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #31
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

We've owned this vehicle since it was born. I have looked into the engine bay numerous times and I remember this quick connector has always looked different than the other. It always had a white end near the firewall side whereas the other was all black.

We were one of the lucky Saturn owners that endured a recall for an engine head issue. The had to remove the engine to perform the task. I figure the quick connector was broken at that time.

Thinking back, we went through times when the antifreeze went low and my wife complained about a haze on the windows. I bet this quick connector was intermittently leaking all along. A friend of mine always thought we had a head gasket issue.

There is NO room to cut off this connector. I cut a piece of hacksaw blade and wrapped one end as a handle and I can more it about 1/2" at time while my arms are getting eaten! I'm tempted to cut and replace the core and be done with it. We'll see how it goes today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #32
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any chance of slicing the heater hoses to make it easier to remove the heater core for bench examination of removing the rest of the damaged couplers remaining on the end tubes? My guess is the foam insulation serves as a seal against air and dirt from entering the hvac box. Perhaps there's enough clearance for removal of the heater core with couplers still connected?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #33
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I thought of that, but at this point I just want to get the car back on the road. My truck gets 10miles per gallon on a good day. Also, the second quick connection is not leaking and I because plastic and I don't get along very well I've decided to leave it alone. I've cut a long diagonal slice using a handheld hacksaw blade. It is working really well. Only a tiny bit more to cut and the plastic will come out. I plan on putting the connector pieces back together to understand and share WTF is inside these connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #34
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A couple of comments......

I thought the 4 pot motor related to yours, but obviously not. Can I make the suggestion that you update your profile to add your vehicle details. That way they always appear on the left of the page and everyone will see what vehicle type we are talking about. This avoids confusion, etc.

The other suggestions are;

You can get replacement Quick Connect fittings from most of the Autostores. I remember we had to get some for my mates Ford Expedition as one of his had broken. The 'Male end of the pipe is normally metal with a flange on it that the Quick Connect slides over to lock. The O ring nestles up against that flange to keep things from leaking. Whilst each manufacturer may use its own specific design for the Female Connector, the male end never changes, so I would assume you can use any Quick Connect that will fit on the size of coolant hose.

As was shown in that video I gave the link for, you can use Jubilee clips instead of the quick connect. Just remember that these quick connects are often more for the benefit of the manufacturer when assembling the vehicle and the dealer garage when performing repairs.

As for removing the broken Quick Connect, you might want to go out and buy a Dremel or similar. Harbor Freight do a couple of inexpensive ones. That way if you can get the Drill alongside the fitting and use the circular cutting wheel, it should come off quick sticks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
A couple of comments......

I thought the 4 pot motor related to yours, but obviously not. Can I make the suggestion that you update your profile to add your vehicle details. That way they always appear on the left of the page and everyone will see what vehicle type we are talking about. This avoids confusion, etc. It took me 10 years to remember LS1 vs LS2. Ours was the top of the line fully equipped sedan, why wouldn't it be an LS1 instead of LS2?

The other suggestions are;

You can get replacement Quick Connect fittings from most of the Autostores. I remember we had to get some for my mates Ford Expedition as one of his had broken. The 'Male end of the pipe is normally metal with a flange on it that the Quick Connect slides over to lock. The O ring nestles up against that flange to keep things from leaking. Whilst each manufacturer may use its own specific design for the Female Connector, the male end never changes, so I would assume you can use any Quick Connect that will fit on the size of coolant hose.
I'm going with reusing the existing hose if possible with a standard hose clamp.
As was shown in that video I gave the link for, you can use Jubilee clips instead of the quick connect. Just remember that these quick connects are often more for the benefit of the manufacturer when assembling the vehicle and the dealer garage when performing repairs.

As for removing the broken Quick Connect, you might want to go out and buy a Dremel or similar. Harbor Freight do a couple of inexpensive ones. That way if you can get the Drill alongside the fitting and use the circular cutting wheel, it should come off quick sticks.
I've got a Dremel. There is no room to get in there without doing more damage. I managed to get the hose detached, but most of the connector is still suck on there! Once I cut THREE diagonals on the plastic hose shield, I was able to pull the hose off without cutting it. I did knick it though with the hacksaw blade. Now to get the remainder of the QUICK CONNECTOR off! I use that name with many F-Bombs before it!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #36
Rj 2000 LS2

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I got it off! I took your recommendation and used my dremel, but I had to cut blindly from the underside. I couldn't see what I was cutting so I took it slow. I discovered there is a metal end inside the quick connector. It's very light weight aluminum. I cut a few times and removed the remainder of the plastics and the ugly mangled Quick Connect Connector came right off piece by piece! So rewarding to see it crumble !!!

I literally had to destroy the connector to get it off of the heater core pipe. Heater Core Pipe is okay, no damage. The heater hose looks like I can reuse it. I cut too deep on one pass of the hacksaw where there is a slit not all the way through.

Unfortunately... I don't have any new hose clamps! I noticed this heater core pipe only has one ridge on it. I'll have to use two clamps with an O-ring and maybe some Teflon tape to make sure this never leaks again!

I'm not sure how helpful a picture of the pieces would be! Most are in the coolant which dropped to the catch bucket below. I suppose I should not reuse the contaminated coolant unless I stain it? What do you think? It was brand new a few months ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #37
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Two clamps are probably not necessary. I have had heater hose blow on cars and did emergency repairs with a piece of copper or steel pipe that have no barbs to hold the hose on where I spliced it in after cutting the bad section out. One clamp on each side was enough to hold the hose on the pipe. Cooling system is low pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #38
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Glad you got it off in the end. Perseverance always pays off.

If the catch bucket was clean to begin with, then I can't see why you can't recycle the coolant. You always filter it using several sheets of kitchen towel just to be sure there is no debris there.

I'd agree that 1 jubilee clip should be ample.

One more job done for you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #39
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Coffee filters work well also.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #40
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I got it off!...
Fabulous!

Quote:
Unfortunately... I don't have any new hose clamps! I noticed this heater core pipe only has one ridge on it. I'll have to use two clamps with an O-ring and maybe some Teflon tape to make sure this never leaks again!
Dsaturn, floridasl22002, and I are in agreement here. You need only one clamp per hose. That's all I have on my aftermarket heater hoses with no leaks from them to date.
Quote:
I'm not sure how helpful a picture of the pieces would be!...
You're right, of course. It wouldn't be of any help...oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Coffee filters work well also.
I'd never considered that before, but I'm satisfied that it should work out well. I need to remember this one!

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-15-2018 at 01:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote