SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #21
neurotopia
neurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the rough

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Brake line length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
What diameter is the brake line on Saturns?
Get the 3/16" nickel copper tubing, spring for the good stuff with the thicker walls. It will flare like butter! Make sure you use a pipe tubing cutter to cut the lines so they dont crush. Use a deburring tool to open up the hole to its full size after cutting, and file to carefully remove any burrs from the inside and out of the tube. Use a compressor and blow some air through the tube to make sure you clear out any shavings. (I'm really anal about this).

If you plan on doing more than one car and are buying a flaring too, this one is bulletproof and painless to use. I've done 3 cars with it now. Well worth the investment.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-70081

Hint: 10 mm flares at all connections on the car frame. At the proportioning valve or whatever it is called where the lines meet under the hood, carefully remove and re-use those fittings, taking note which goes where. They are purposefully different sizes to help keep you from putting a line in the wrong place. You may also have letters (e.g. LR, RR) etched into your proportioning valve to help you keep track of what goes where.

Don't cross-thread!
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you conducted the brake line replacement yet? I am getting ready to buy the kit and other parts needed to replace all hard brake lines.

I am trying to figure out which bubble flare tool kit to purchase. I figure a kit is worth it to purchase and this won't be the last time I need it. So I'm not looking to rent a kit from an auto parts store. I don't trust rented tool kits because I have had some bad experiences before.

I don't need an expensive kit... just the right kit! I find it more like buying tooth paste with complex iterations in the marketing. I'd like a mini cutter, bender, German bubble flare "parts" kit and I don't need a master kit costing over $100 plus with ton's of items I don't need. Can anyone point in the direction of providers who supply such a kit? I'd like to be under $70.

In the manual, it states to only use Steel brake lines. Seeing how the original steel lines lasted 20 years... why not use plain inexpensive steel lines? Advice?

I'd like to reuse the fitting ends, but some nuts are rounded off and some I doubt will unscrew. I will need to replace a few. How do I know which bubble flare ends are correct? Do they have some "abc" letter type short designation? What are they called... in detail.

Also, are the fitting ends identical on the ABS modular? Some YT channels say the ends are different. Again, how can I source the right ends and what are they called? Type, thread, length etc...?

Thanks for help in advance!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #23
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Re; Steel brake lines
The main reason to opt for the nickel-cooper line is how much easier
it is to work with. Much easier to manipulate by hand to get a decent fit.
I have purchase some on ebay that was not that expensive.
OTC makes a decent bubble flare kit, under $50.
It is available on Amazon with and without a cutter.
I believe the nuts are "ISO Bubble Flare Nuts"
They are sized by outside metric thread size and inside (tube) diameter.
i.e. 10 X 1.0 mm X 4.7 mm (3/16) brake line
Worst case, you take the old fittings to the parts store to match up to new fittings.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

RJ,

Go onto the RA site and select Tools/Universal Parts from the top menu bar. Then select Hoses/Line & Clamps. Then select Hydraulic Line. There you will find brake lines on a roll. If you also Look further down the list to Tools, you'll find flare kits. All the prices seem RA reasonable.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #25
neurotopia
neurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the rough

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
Have you conducted the brake line replacement yet? I am getting ready to buy the kit and other parts needed to replace all hard brake lines.

I am trying to figure out which bubble flare tool kit to purchase. I figure a kit is worth it to purchase and this won't be the last time I need it. So I'm not looking to rent a kit from an auto parts store. I don't trust rented tool kits because I have had some bad experiences before.

I don't need an expensive kit... just the right kit! I find it more like buying tooth paste with complex iterations in the marketing. I'd like a mini cutter, bender, German bubble flare "parts" kit and I don't need a master kit costing over $100 plus with ton's of items I don't need. Can anyone point in the direction of providers who supply such a kit? I'd like to be under $70.

In the manual, it states to only use Steel brake lines. Seeing how the original steel lines lasted 20 years... why not use plain inexpensive steel lines? Advice?

I'd like to reuse the fitting ends, but some nuts are rounded off and some I doubt will unscrew. I will need to replace a few. How do I know which bubble flare ends are correct? Do they have some "abc" letter type short designation? What are they called... in detail.

Also, are the fitting ends identical on the ABS modular? Some YT channels say the ends are different. Again, how can I source the right ends and what are they called? Type, thread, length etc...?

Thanks for help in advance!

Sorry dude, yeah I did them a while back. I went down the left side of the car to the left rear and just made sure the line wasn't positioned in a place where it could get smashed. Wrapped a little rubber hose around the line in places where it could rub and used some cheap electrical little clasp things to hold the line in place.

Don't try to do SS lines with a cheap flare kit, you probably won't get enough flares out of it before the kit jut craps out on you. SS lines are harder. Honestly just spend the money on the copper nickel stuff (and get the thick copper nickel stuff, it flares like butter). So much easier and faster.

Pay attention to which flare nuts come out of where on the proportioning valve, don't take them all out at once! Those should be reused carefully because they're purposefully made to be different sizes. You can buy the right flare nuts for replacement, but if you get it wrong you run the risk of crossthreading something and then you'll be SOL. The flare nuts at the brake hoses/calipers can be off the rack 10 mm ones that you get anywhere.

If you plan on doing more than one car, just suck it up and buy this or the Summit brand version of it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-70081

You'll get a perfect flare immediately, every time, and your forearms won't feel like Keith Richards played Paint It Black on your tendons. I've done 3 cars with mine, best damn investment ever.
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote