SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
LStwo
LStwo is on a distinguished road

Default Traction Control problems

I've got a 2000 LS2 with the 3.0 litre V6. My SES light comes on from time to time for front and back bank running lean. The problem with the traction control is that it doesn't seem to work when the temp drops below about 40 degrees. When it's warmer it does work, but even when it's not working the ABS does work. So it's not a wheel speed sensor. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not so much worried about the SES light, but living in Michigan traction control would be nice in the winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LStwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LStwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LStwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Traction Control problems

If I'm not mistaken, TC isn't temperature sensitive but speed sensitive to the differences in wheel speeds detected by the wheel speed sensors. The same wheel speed sensors are utilized for ABS control. If you had ABS come on then you felt the uncomfortable pedal sensation as feedback from the ABS hydraulics pulsing the braking system.

If you have a pushbutton to turn off traction control for certain situations not requiring TC but concerned that it would be automatically enabled verify it isn't manually switched off. If it is enabled for automatic engagement how do you know traction control is taking over?

Please don't take offense to the question as concern for when TC works would occur automatically when in situations the driver is either oblivious to or exceeded the limits of tire traction (wheel slippage) accelerating too fast. The opposite high speed wheel(s) slipping on wet or icy roads would engage TC by flashing an indicator warning of dangerous road conditions and that the vehicle is attempting to handle it by deliberately relieving throttle control to slow the car and/or wheel speed. In general, if ABS is enabled then traction control is presumed to be standing by unless manually turned off.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-18-2007 at 01:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
LStwo

No offense taken. I didn't explain in my original post that when I start the vehicle the trac light is off and stays off, it should default to on each time the car is started but I can't turn it on. In the snow the ABS works fine but the trac can't be turned on and is definately not working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LStwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless someone else can suggest otherwise and from the FSM for your car I can only recommend a suggestion or two from my FSM for '02-'03 L200 & L300. The schematic drawings indicate a 10amp fuse labeled IGN 3 (10A) which powers the traction control circuits. Have you examined the fuse box for this fuse? The ABS circuit is powered by its fused 10amp circuit labeled BCM/ECM/CRUISE/ABS.

After this 10amp fuse comes the TC switch/led assembly and associated wiring. Check for this fuse as it may be open and causing the SES light. The brake switch must also be operating properly as it is one of the input sensors for the traction control system to work. Assuming the brake switch turns on/off the brake lights correctly this would leave the fuse and associated wiring at fault.

I can only suggest again that this fuse is located in the left instrument panel fuse block.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-18-2007 at 08:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

The front and rear bank too lean is a MAF sensor problem. You can get CRC maf sensor cleaner at most auto parts store. Try cleaning it. If that does not fix it, a new sensor runs about $120.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
shanec
shanec is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwages_ls2 View Post
The front and rear bank too lean is a MAF sensor problem. You can get CRC maf sensor cleaner at most auto parts store. Try cleaning it. If that does not fix it, a new sensor runs about $120.
Yea, I'm with lostwages on this one. I'm working on a MAF problem (same error codes) in my L300 right now. As long as the SES light is on, my traction control is disabled. By the way, don't worry if you notice that the transmission is shifting hard, as that is a secondary symptom of the MAF problem as well. (the quickest way to solve the transmission shifting issue is to power cycle the car, and donít' let the tach go very high)

If you really want to check it, clear your error codes. My bet, is that your traction control will function fine the next time you start the car, and as long as the SES light stays out.
(note, clearing the codes will be a very temporary fix, as more than likely the SES light will come back on after the second restart)

The only other time I've seen my traction control disabled was when my brake light switch was malfunctioning. My brake lights worked fine, but the TC was disabled, and the cruise control wouldn't function. All was remedied by cleaning the switch.

Shane

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shanec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shanec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
LStwo

Thanks for your input everyone, I'll let you know what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!