SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
cindiw20
cindiw20 is on a distinguished road

Default plastic shields

I have a 97 SC2, with 170,000 miles, and all the plastic shields underneath are starting to crack and fall apart. It looks like they are all connected, so as soon as one breaks they are all about to fall off...one was just dragging yesterday and i wire tied it up as a temporary fix. What can i do more permanantly? Do i need to try to find them somewhere to put on my car; is that even possible? Or should i just try to put them back together and do a monthly repair? I live on a back road and have to drive the poor thing through a small creek, so it'll be hard to keep them together. I know, not a good place to have a little Saturn, but I don't like big vehicle, bad gas mileage and all...
Cynthia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindiw20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindiw20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Check at junkyards for what you need.

#1 resource.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Or Saturnparts.com. Bu even discounted, t I think they run about $25 a piece, and there are two pieces on each side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
cindiw20

Ok, it shouldsn't be to hard to find them at junkyards, i know a couple that have cars like mine.
Cynthia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cindiw20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Couldn't you just epoxy all the cracks? Unless there are actual holes...

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
splat
splat is on a distinguished road

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...bumper+support

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to splat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help splat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
cindiw20

new question: Are they important? the link seemed to have some people saying they just took them off and haven't had a problem, but i think my dad/brother said it had something to do with air flow and could cause problems. There aren't actual holes, but there are several shields that are all cracked and ready to fall off, i've been sort of hooking them together until i figure out how to fix it.
Cynthia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

They are relatively important.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
splat

I took the support off of my 93 and have not had any problems yet. That was a few years ago. But I installed mesh, which obvious wouldn't do too well in directing air. But i've been in bumper to bumper traffic on the grapvine (when there was a fire last november or something) for 8 hours (maybe 12 miles) and still didn't have a problem. So I think you'd be okay...assuming that we ARE talking about the same thing...see the link i sent above..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help splat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by K-1
Couldn't you just epoxy all the cracks? Unless there are actual holes...
well there's a band aid fix for ya

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

The design of all the plastic in the front end is to direct air up to your rad, keeping the car cool. I'd be inclined to say that it is fairly important. Splat commented that his has been removed and he hasn't seen any problems. (Splat, you probably won't see a difference in bumper to bumper traffic due to the fact that you aren't moving fast enough to flow much air over the rad).
I know about the cracking, I smoked a racoon a few days ago and broke a whole bunch of plastic up in the front end. A few screws, bolts and misc. other hardware has put it back together at this point. I would try and get the parts to put it back together properly if I were you... your call though

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
cindiw20

Yeah...I will try, they just finally fell completely off today. My mom was using my car and not paying attention, but luckily they waited till she was near enough home that i could get them...not damaged any more than they already were. They aren't too badly broken, if i can find a way to reattach them.
Cynthia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #13
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

J/B weld.

That's what holding up mine right now.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #14
splat

Just for 5hits and giggles, i decided to remove mine today...drove from SD to Sacramento fine...never went more than 1/3 ways up...

Which makes sense to me, as i've taken it off my 93 for quite some time now...and the current bodykits available also do not have em...so case and point, they are not necessary...(ps. i was in stop and go traffic, went up and down mountains all different types of driving...and it was okay...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 AM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I guess I am having trouble figuring out what shields you are talking about. The inner wheel well splash guards protect the drive axles and related parts from road debris. The lower splash guard protects the radiator and exhaust from road spray and associated thermal shock. (Think cold water on a HOT casting) The hinged front air dam directs air to the radiator at lower speeds to improve cooling and A/C efficiency. The ARE all there for a reason..believe it or not...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread