SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
scottt
scottt is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default 99 SL2 stutter

Yesterday my sl2 began stuttering when I would give it the slightest throttle. It is to the point where I can't go over 10 mph. I put quarters under the egr with no change. Today I unscrewed the front oxygen sensor without unplugging it and saw no change for about 5 minutes, then it ran much better. Not perfect but much better. I would think the sensor would do the trick, but don't know since it took a few minutes. I don't want to buy a sensor if it's not needed. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 99 SL2 stutter

Bang on your cataclyctic converter and listen for a bunch of rocks in there. If so, there ya go. Alternatively you can check for a glowing red cat and/or exhaust while the car is running..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
scottt

1999 SL2

I'll try that this evening. Unfortunately I'm only able to work on the car an hour each day so this may take a while. Any thoughts on why it ran smoother after about 5 minutes? Does the computer take a while to get used to the oxygen sensor being removed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scottt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt View Post
I'll try that this evening. Unfortunately I'm only able to work on the car an hour each day so this may take a while. Any thoughts on why it ran smoother after about 5 minutes? Does the computer take a while to get used to the oxygen sensor being removed?
by removing the front O2 sensor, you're basically creating a bung-hole for the car exhaust gases to escape, thereby allowing a power restoration.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
scottt

1999 SL2

The cat didn't rattle and the exhaust wasn't red hot, just the stumbling with any throttle. I bought the car about six months ago and there has always been a strong gas smell if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

sounds like the cat con to me

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
scottt

1999 SL2

How can I check this without paying a lot for a new cat? I banged on the cat and didn't hear the rattle adventureoflink mentioned. I've read a lot of post here and just don't know where to look next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Sign up under Bob Stoops as punter for the Sooners. Soon enough a booster at the dealership will give you a CAT for washing his hubcaps. Then just quit the team. You could have done the same in Columbus except the party is over there now… All the other teams just have not got caught yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
scottt

1999 SL2

I think ehunter is onto something. I just need to convince them to give me a cat before they see me punt!

This morning I removed the quarters from the egr and reinstalled the oxygen sensor. The car ran great for about a minute and then back to stumbling with any throttle. Just wanted to give an update in case any of this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Check your fuel injectors and your fuel pressure. You can rent or purchase a cheap fuel pressure tester. Also, the problem should correct itself instantly if you remove the O2 sensor, which leads me to believe it's not your cat!

cheap pressure tester:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html

You can also test fuel pressure by turning the key on (but not starting it). You'll hear the fuel pump buzz while building pressure then turn off. This lasts a couple seconds. You then turn the key back off and go find the schrader valve before the fuel rail/injectors and push in on the schrader pin. Fuel should spray everywhere as the pressure is released. If you get a small dribble I would replace your fuel filter and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
scottt

1999 SL2

I got a code reader from my father in law and got a 0134 and 0300. This was just after removing the quarters from the egr and reinstalling the front oxygen sensor. The engine was cold when the codes were read. Since I thought the 0134 was from having the sensor removed, I disconnected the battery to reset the codes and drove the car for about 20 minutes. The car had the same stumbling at first but after about 15 minutes it ran great with no hesitation. I read the codes again and now I'm getting a 0302. I found these thing to try in another post:
Possible things to try:
* remove the #2 spark plug, inspect, and report back what you find
* replace the spark plugs, if they haven't been done in a while
* replace that spark plug wire, or all wires, if they're old
* swap the coil packs - if it switches to a P0304, suspect that coil pack
* swap the #2 injector with another, to see if the problem "moves"
* compression test -- see if #2 is lower/higher than the others

Does this look correct? Again, this issue started suddenly, one day the car just wouldn't allow any acceleration. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
MacG
MacG is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt View Post
I got a code reader from my father in law and got a 0134 and 0300. This was just after removing the quarters from the egr and reinstalling the front oxygen sensor. The engine was cold when the codes were read. Since I thought the 0134 was from having the sensor removed, I disconnected the battery to reset the codes and drove the car for about 20 minutes. The car had the same stumbling at first but after about 15 minutes it ran great with no hesitation. I read the codes again and now I'm getting a 0302. I found these thing to try in another post:
Possible things to try:
* remove the #2 spark plug, inspect, and report back what you find
* replace the spark plugs, if they haven't been done in a while
* replace that spark plug wire, or all wires, if they're old
* swap the coil packs - if it switches to a P0304, suspect that coil pack
* swap the #2 injector with another, to see if the problem "moves"
* compression test -- see if #2 is lower/higher than the others

Does this look correct? Again, this issue started suddenly, one day the car just wouldn't allow any acceleration. Thanks
I don't know about the codes (or The Code, for tha matter ) but I have heard of a muffler baffle collapsing. I have alocal muffler shop (not a chain) that will help diagnose by checking the flow through the muffler while on the car. They check the cat the same way.

Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
scottt

1999 SL2

I'm starting a new thread after seeing the poor results from a compression test. Test results: 140 0 80 0
The original issue is no longer my problem. Whether to keep the car is now the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

I feel for you brother...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote