SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
fastcarsspeed
fastcarsspeed is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 L200 Overheat and Trans issues

My gf's L200 seems to have a couple issues. This morning her temp gauge rose up and she cut her off. Seems as though the T-stat went since I cannot get any heat in the car and the T-stat sits right before the heater core. gonna try to get that fixed this evening.

Second issue: Last week she ran it through a pretty good size water puddle coming home from work. Ever since then there is this like surging issue right before the trans shifts. I was doing some searching and there appears to be some type of solenoid that could be causing this issue. Is this the solenoid that sits on the top back side of the trans that the shifter cable connects to?

Does anyone know where I can look at an FSM online to kinda diagnose some of these issues.

Thanks for the help!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fastcarsspeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fastcarsspeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fastcarsspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
fastcarsspeed

Default Re: 2001 L200 Overheat and Trans issues

Ok replaced the Thermostat and she is still getting hot. I noticed that the Thermostat and the housing are not keyed so it seems as though it doesnt matter what position it is placed in the housing.

I can't tell if I have an air bubble in the system or what else could be causing it to overheat. There is still no heat coming into the cabin and I felt the lower rad hose and it didnt feel nearly as hot as the upper rad hose. Could this just be an air bubble and what is the best way to get the bubble out of this system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fastcarsspeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

How are the heater hoses? When the engine is hot one of the hoses should feel VERY hot and the other should be hot. If one is hot and the other cold then you have a flow problem through the heater core.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
How are the heater hoses? When the engine is hot one of the hoses should feel VERY hot and the other should be hot. If one is hot and the other cold then you have a flow problem through the heater core.
But a flow problem through the heater core should not cause the car to overheat. Anyone have a clue if the Water Pump has a metal or plastic wheel? Just wondering if the water pump took a crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There's a 50/50 chance you might have put the thermostat in the wrong way as they're not 'keyed'. If I'm not mistaken the big end, the one with the brass/copper bullet shaped center piece, faces into the engine block to expose the part to the heated coolant. If you think it was put in incorrectly just reverse it. Draining about a gallon of coolant from the petcock should be more than enough for you to work with.

Virtually all water pump vanes are metal for our cars. After checking for an incorrect thermostat replacement be sure to leave the heater on full heat, the fan can be left in low speed to check for heater output.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There's a 50/50 chance you might have put the thermostat in the wrong way as they're not 'keyed'. If I'm not mistaken the big end, the one with the brass/copper bullet shaped center piece, faces into the engine block to expose the part to the heated coolant. If you think it was put in incorrectly just reverse it. Draining about a gallon of coolant from the petcock should be more than enough for you to work with.

Virtually all water pump vanes are metal for our cars. After checking for an incorrect thermostat replacement be sure to leave the heater on full heat, the fan can be left in low speed to check for heater output.
LOL I did one better. I pulled the T-stat completely out last night just to see what the heck was going on. Still over heated and there is no heat inside the car. Im wondering if the heater core is blocked? But Also the lower Radiator hose is not getting hot either just the upper. Im confused because usually when a water pump goes bad it leaks and this is not leaking.

Any clue how hard to replace the water pump on this car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not easy to replace the water pump but before jumping in to replace what may be a perfectly good pump have you ensured that the coolant was topped off? What's the mileage of the car? Even if you left the overflow cap off the entire time while the engine warmed up did you have to refill the reservoir? By leaving the cap off all the air should have bled out once the engine completely warms up. By that time there should be heat inside the car also with the fan on medium speed, hot hoses going in and coming out from the heater. If the cap is left off all this time then the engine must be cooled down completely before putting the cap back on. If you filled the coolant and cycled the engine on/off did you check the overflow tank again to fill to the midpoint? Often when replacing coolant, thermostat, radiator, etc., the last thing overlooked is the coolant tank to be sure its filled the next day or so only when the engine has completely cooled down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
Not easy to replace the water pump but before jumping in to replace what may be a perfectly good pump have you ensured that the coolant was topped off? What's the mileage of the car? Even if you left the overflow cap off the entire time while the engine warmed up did you have to refill the reservoir? By leaving the cap off all the air should have bled out once the engine completely warms up. By that time there should be heat inside the car also with the fan on medium speed, hot hoses going in and coming out from the heater. If the cap is left off all this time then the engine must be cooled down completely before putting the cap back on. If you filled the coolant and cycled the engine on/off did you check the overflow tank again to fill to the midpoint? Often when replacing coolant, thermostat, radiator, etc., the last thing overlooked is the coolant tank to be sure its filled the next day or so only when the engine has completely cooled down.
Im going to leave the cap off till the car gets up to temp and see whats up. I want to say the lower hose going to the heater was hot but the upper was not as hot. I left the cap off but no fluid was drawn down into the cooling system and thats why I was thinking either a air bubble somewhere or the water pump is not pulling fluid through the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I recall from another post, there is a built-in design for our cooling systems that automatically bleeds the air out into the overflow tank, termed 'air purge', whenever major work is done. All that is required, I believe, is to fill the system full including the overflow tank and place the cap on. Drive as usual and re-check the overflow tank the next time after the engine is cooled down if coolant is necessary to fill to the mid-level or whatever is designated. The precaution of never checking while hot is to prevent hot coolant spraying under pressure into one's face, hands and arms, and inadvertently creating a vacuum later when cooled off if the cap were to be removed while the coolant is still hot, topped off, and the cap replaced. The result ends up as the coolant cooling off and a vacuum is created pulling in the sides of the radiator walls, caving in and rupturing in reverse the radiator. So the warning of only topping off coolant when the engine is cold serves two purposes.

The worst that can happen is a catastrophic failure of your water pump and if that were the case usually its the bearings that fail and water leaks out. Not the failure of the pump vanes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
If I recall from another post, there is a built-in design for our cooling systems that automatically bleeds the air out into the overflow tank, termed 'air purge', whenever major work is done. All that is required, I believe, is to fill the system full including the overflow tank and place the cap on. Drive as usual and re-check the overflow tank the next time after the engine is cooled down if coolant is necessary to fill to the mid-level or whatever is designated. The precaution of never checking while hot is to prevent hot coolant spraying under pressure into one's face, hands and arms, and inadvertently creating a vacuum later when cooled off if the cap were to be removed while the coolant is still hot, topped off, and the cap replaced. The result ends up as the coolant cooling off and a vacuum is created pulling in the sides of the radiator walls, caving in and rupturing in reverse the radiator. So the warning of only topping off coolant when the engine is cold serves two purposes.

The worst that can happen is a catastrophic failure of your water pump and if that were the case usually its the bearings that fail and water leaks out. Not the failure of the pump vanes.
Ok so it sounds like maybe I have a possibility of a couple issues.

1. Bad heater core? I might pull the lines and see if I can get water to go through it.
2. I that the T-stat in wrong. When looking at it the long end went down into the block and the short end was facing up.
3. Possibly vapor lock. also possibly the overflow cap could be bad. Might see if they have one at autozone just in case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
fastcarsspeed

I can say this is the first time I have ever seen a water pump fail and not leak from the seal or atleast make some noise.

1. Check the Heater core. Fluid flows fine through heater core.
2. Put T-stat back in and made sure it was even adjusted to the correct alignment as in the Haynes Manual just in case.
3. Filled the system back up completely cold and installed the cap.

NADA nothing still no heat through the heater. So now its Waterpump time woo hoo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsspeed View Post
But a flow problem through the heater core should not cause the car to overheat. Anyone have a clue if the Water Pump has a metal or plastic wheel? Just wondering if the water pump took a crap.

Air locked heater core or completely blocked can do some strange things to the cooling system.

When you say overheating do you mean boiling out from under the rad cap over heating or the temp gauge hitting the red zone over heating with no boil over.

Easy way to check the water pump with out removal is to look at the surge tank (what the rad cap goes onto) with the engine running. If there is no visible coolant movement in the tank the you have a water pump circulation problem. Look at where the small hose clamp onto the tank you should see coolant flow there. Rev the engine to be sure.

How long is the engine running when you check the lower rad hose? It can take a while for it to get hot as the t-stat does need to be open.

Last thing. 2.2 or 3.0 LT engine in your L200?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
Air locked heater core or completely blocked can do some strange things to the cooling system.

When you say overheating do you mean boiling out from under the rad cap over heating or the temp gauge hitting the red zone over heating with no boil over.

Easy way to check the water pump with out removal is to look at the surge tank (what the rad cap goes onto) with the engine running. If there is no visible coolant movement in the tank the you have a water pump circulation problem. Look at where the small hose clamp onto the tank you should see coolant flow there. Rev the engine to be sure.

How long is the engine running when you check the lower rad hose? It can take a while for it to get hot as the t-stat does need to be open.

Last thing. 2.2 or 3.0 LT engine in your L200?
Its the 2.2.

It takes a while for the car to heat up. But once its heated up the gauge goes up 3/4 quickly which then I shut the car down. Thats why I think its the Water pump as there is no coolant movement in the expansion tank. From what I understand with this closed loop setup air bubbles in the system are pretty hard to get. The lower radiator hose never really gets warm or anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #14
ssicarman

I think that if the water pump were bad the engine temp would go up fairly quickly. There are things to do before going after the water pump which does need special tools to be removed and replaced so that the chain drive for the pump is not disturbed. Not mention the less than easy access to remove the pump.

Pull the heater hoses off one at a time to try and bleed any air out of the heater core. You never did say if they were both hot or one hot and the other cold (er). Remove the colder one first when trying to check/bled the air out. The service manual indicates that the systemis self bleeding but it is worth checking the hearter hoses and core out for an air lock.
Also check to see if you have a "heater water pump". It is used to increase circulation of coolant through the heater core. Chekc it to see if it is blocked or inop.
Without establishing proper coolant flow through the heater core (and the hoses to and from) you should not look a lot further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
fastcarsspeed

Quote:
I think that if the water pump were bad the engine temp would go up fairly quickly. There are things to do before going after the water pump which does need special tools to be removed and replaced so that the chain drive for the pump is not disturbed. Not mention the less than easy access to remove the pump.

Pull the heater hoses off one at a time to try and bleed any air out of the heater core. You never did say if they were both hot or one hot and the other cold (er). Remove the colder one first when trying to check/bled the air out. The service manual indicates that the systemis self bleeding but it is worth checking the hearter hoses and core out for an air lock.
Also check to see if you have a "heater water pump". It is used to increase circulation of coolant through the heater core. Chekc it to see if it is blocked or inop.
Without establishing proper coolant flow through the heater core (and the hoses to and from) you should not look a lot further.
LOL Ive been doing this stuff a long time just not on gm cars. The way the system is set up even if there was an air bubble in the heater core it would not affect the temp of the car drastically. I tried every which way to bleed the system thinking there might be an air bubble in the system and to no avail nada. If the water pump is not pumping fluid through the system or is only pumping it slowly then it would take about the time I have seen to over heat the car. Ive got everything off except the pump now. Im going to hand crank the crank and see if the pump is spinning properly and all before I do this last ditch effort of replacing the pump. I need to go get some metal and make a plate to hold the pump gear in place if I have to remove the pump. Doesnt look all that hard to make just need to do some measuring and such.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
fastcarsspeed

OMG I just don't know what to say. Found the source of the problem. The balance shaft chain has broken which of course drives the water pump. So now I will be replacing the Timing chain and the balance shaft chain. Woo Hoo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
op712
op712 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Oh the bubble thing: There was one trick that I learned from others with t-stat installs that would have changing temp issues after t-stat intalls:

With the new t-stat, is to drill a .50 hole in the flat flange area of the t-stat. This allows the system to bleed the air out. This acts like a "wiggle" valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to op712's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help op712 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
op712 is offline   Reply With Quote