SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #21
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How big of a motor will fit in the ION engine bay?

Yeah, but there's not as much cool factor... Haha

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #22
kevinthenerd
kevinthenerd is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517
Yeah, but there's not as much cool factor... Haha
There you go. I think it'd be cheaper, too, to just go ahead and get a 3800 from a junkyard than it would be to go out and buy brand new parts for the ECOTEC (because it's very hard to find ECOTEC parts in a junkyard this early in production). I particularly have a liking to the 3800 after my girlfriend's old 1997 Grand Prix smoked several V8 trucks. Heck, short of sports cars like the Lotus Elise, I'd say it probably would have smoked anything with four cylinders. (That Grand Prix was HEAVY for such acceleration from a 3.8!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinthenerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinthenerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #23
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfatalis100
I would just turbo the ecotec. Its a perfectly good platform that would perform better than swapping in a bigger engine. The engine would keep its light weight and itd be a lot easier.
You have a point. There's only so much you can do with front wheel drive, but I've read GM's Sport Compact Build Book, and I've seen the amazing things the ECOTEC can do. I've always wondered about the longevity of heavily modified motors, though. In the extreme case, a 1000hp ECOTEC would need a rebuild almost every quarter mile. Speaking of which...

Don't start talking about 6-second dragsters... look at the location of the motor in relation to the front wheels. They're all so offset it's not even funny, and the back of the cars are so light they all might as well be mid-engined two-wheelers with parade floats behind them. Take a close look at the bicycle-thin tires on the back end. MY car might give them a hard time on a tight road course. It's totally unfair to compare one of those top-end front wheel drive dragsters to ANYTHING on the street.

If you take both a 3800 and an ECOTEC and bring them both to 400hp, despite the difference in technologies, I would still bet that the 3800 would last longer simply because it would be running at a higher factor of safety. I might be wrong here comparing an aluminum block to a cast iron block, so please correct me. I just think it would be running at a lower percentage of its original specifications. I don't want 400hp on this car, but I'm just saying. If I run the ECOTEC to over 250hp, I seriously think the stock 3800 would last longer.

I'm moving into a house in a couple months where the landlord doesn't mind me welding and tinkering. The apartment I'm in now sucks for that. They won't even let me change my oil. I've been working on welding together a rickshaw lately, and I've had to do that at night when the management isn't here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevinthenerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #24
liubhs02
liubhs02 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05
liubhs02, Yeah, sorry. I am still taking some pain and muscle relaxers from my neck surgery. I didn't mean to intrude into your post/thread. I just enjoyed the section of discussion and thought I would say so. I will try to keep my babbling to a minimum! Have a good week! Bue05
dude, I was kidding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liubhs02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liubhs02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liubhs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #25
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

liubhs02, I knew you were, but since i can't sleep and stay up most all night long and sleep off and on throughout the day, sometimes i can babble and not make sense. Haha. I am actually taking medicine had to have a disc removed out of my neck, sucks cause I can't drive or anything for 6 weeks. I'm friken bored..... I try to keep busy, but i can only do so much.. take care bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #26
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05
liubhs02, I knew you were, but since i can't sleep and stay up most all night long and sleep off and on throughout the day, sometimes i can babble and not make sense. Haha. I am actually taking medicine had to have a disc removed out of my neck, sucks cause I can't drive or anything for 6 weeks. I'm friken bored..... I try to keep busy, but i can only do so much.. take care bue05
Well, in that case, see how fast you can get the McLaren in this game:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/dragrace3.html
It's addicting until you're so fast that nothing is a challenge any more. Too bad I didn't see any Saturns. An ION would have been cool to modify, but all the mods are standardized anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #27
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

i gotta ask, are you the guy that talked about wearing a diving suit while washing your car or something to that effect?

(I dont know what engine would fit but that dordge engine would be nice...)

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #28
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldslsaturn
i gotta ask, are you the guy that talked about wearing a diving suit while washing your car or something to that effect?

(I dont know what engine would fit but that dordge engine would be nice...)
No, but I'll admit I come up with quite a few half baked ideas sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #29
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

If you have to ask, you probably can't do it.

People MAKE engine fit in car, by cutting, welding, more cutting, and more welding. There was a guy fitted two S-series 1.9 engine in a SL2. He had the parts and he had the tools.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #30
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Me, No i don't own a diving suit??? not sure who you were asking? bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #31
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Instead of putting a 3800 in an ION, why not put one in a Fiero and leave the nice reliable Ecotec in your ION? You could probably find a solid, non-wrecked, non-running 4-cyl Fiero for $300 or so, and you'll still have a good car to drive while you do the swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #32
kevinthenerd

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56
Instead of putting a 3800 in an ION, why not put one in a Fiero and leave the nice reliable Ecotec in your ION? You could probably find a solid, non-wrecked, non-running 4-cyl Fiero for $300 or so, and you'll still have a good car to drive while you do the swap.
That wouldn't have the sleeper effect I'm going for, but it certainly would be easier than all of the previous options mentioned. A swapped motor will never be as reliable as my current one, and this is, after all, my daily driver that needs to keep me on time for work and school. I'll have to keep that in mind. I read online where some guy put a Northstar in his Fiero. The trouble with the Fiero, like all three generations of the Toyota MR2, is that it's basically a front engine layout sitting behind the front seats. Its center of gravity isn't as low as it could be because of the transmission location: under the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #33
06lev3x4
06lev3x4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I just want to put my 2 cents in. Doesnt the G6 2.4/3.5 use the same transmission that the ion 2.4 has. Wouldnt you be able to put the 3.5 from the G6 into the ion? I thought that with the G6 it uses the same mounts for the 2.4 and the 3.5. In that case the 3.5 should install easily in the ion that had the 2.4 in it since its the exact same 2.4 from the G6.

Ion 3 Sedan with 2.4 liter engine stock

"Weekends here, good god almighty people, lets get drunk and be somebody"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06lev3x4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06lev3x4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06lev3x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #34
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Maybe, but you have to remember that the engine cradle could be different, allowing the use of the same mounts between the two engines. The engine cradle in the Ion would seem to be completely different from the Pontiac engine cradle since they're different platforms. Who knows until you try, right?

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:57 AM   #35
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Will a 2005/2006 Saturn Ion engine be a direct replacment for the 2004 Saturn ion engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote