SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
Default Transmission Question

Hi! It's been forever since I've been on here Things are mostly going well. Sooo... we attempted to cell Cinnamon a few months ago, our 1997 SL1 (manual). This was a crazy experience.

So a 'friend' 'bought' the car. I will NEVER do this again. I should have just asked for cash up front and sent him on his way, but I felt bad for his situation and we told him he could pay us $50 a month and we would give him the title after he paid us $600. Yes that is probably cheap, but this is someone who was in a bad situation, and we felt for him. Plus we had just gotten our 1996 SL2 with only 36,000 miles on it, so we were in happy Saturn land for ourselves.

ANYWAY. I just towed it back to the house. I'm in tears. He only ever gave us $30 for it, and he DESTROYED it. This car was my baby. Cinnamon ran beautifully when this guy drove her away, despite having 288,000 miles. He shredded the interior (or his dogs did) threw about a billion cigarettes all over the place, and there is like an inch of dog hair on EVERYTHING.

Yes, I was dumb to have let him do this in the first place, I admit that.

The worst part is this.

The car has NO oil in it.
Two, he says that the transmission is destroyed. I had put a brand new clutch in it less than a year ago. He says "all the fluid drained out of it," and this is after he drove over something because apparently he was taking the car out logging roads or something.

So! My question is this.

Is it really the transmission? I don't know much about transmissions at all. I took the tow strap off of my truck on one side of my property and put some oil in the car, and actually drove it to the other side of my property with no issue. It shifted fine, and drove fine. So I'm perplexed.

Could it be the oil pan?

HOWEVER! The pictures that he sent me (which I am attaching here) show dark fluid dripping from what does in fact look like the transmission.

I will put it up on ramps when I have a bit more time and give it a full once over, but I wanted to ask you here first what you think.

Please be kind, I'm already in tears over this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car1.jpg (54.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg car2.jpg (49.7 KB, 27 views)

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 285K
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Transmission Question

Probably blew the diff-pin

You'll need a new transmission. It's common enough on these

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Thank you for that insight! I will read up on it.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1

One more question... if the diff pin is blown would it still be able to shift and drive? Because it does shift and drive with no issues; at least around my yard. I didn't attempt anything above 2nd gear, but 1st, 2nd and reverse seem to function okay. I do not want to drive more than I already did, but I'm just curious.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

If only a piece of the diff pin broke off, you would still be able to shift at least somewhat. The transmission is dead either way though weather it was the whole pin or just a piece. There should be an obvious hole if it broke but you can also take out the vehicle speed sensor and see if it's still there.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96588

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles