SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default For those clueless about soldering....

I've used a simple soldering technique introduced years ago. A very small piece of thin solder similar to tiny bandages for small cuts about 3/8" X 1" wrapped around twisted bare (clean) wires and a match was useful for electrical soldering away from an ac outlet and soldering iron. Fast forward and we have portable butane torches with a soldering tip for complete portability in field repairs. This presumes most people are already familiar with basic soldering techniques. For the truly clueless and those not wanting to learn soldering, a new product may help and provide virtually a professional appearance after some trial and error period of experimenting. Be warned though. Soldering in any form still requires some semblance of clean copper wires for solder and rosin to flow and coat each bare wire of a twisted set before solder can adhere to provide electrical and mechanical strength.

This appeared on facebook and here's a link; https://afrui.com/collections/hot-de...Y-D3-JwFGJMAZU. The video should convince anyone that virtually everyone should be able to solder wires together and insulate the connection with shrink tubing. For auto repairs and tight spaces, this may be one of the best solutions for fast and easy soldering without needing skills other than flicking a Bic or striking a match. For those using fire, beware of nearby plastic rugs catching on fire. No torch is needed. This product appears to use a lower temperature melting point solder with rosin shaped into a small bushing covered in see thru shrink tubing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: For those clueless about soldering....

Interesting.

May want to repost this in the S-series and other more general / model specific forums for exposure or post a link to this thread.

I note they recommend using a heat gun, no not as precise as a soldering iron. I suppose I would use a damp towel and aluminum foil to insulate things I don't' want to heat up.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Interesting.

May want to repost this in the S-series and other more general / model specific forums for exposure or post a link to this thread.

I note they recommend using a heat gun, no not as precise as a soldering iron. I suppose I would use a damp towel and aluminum foil to insulate things I don't' want to heat up.
the heat guns they're talking about, are specific to soldering, and have a very small output hole size.
they're actually used quite a bit by electronics repairmen and assemblers as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

i've been a fan of soldering wires when i'm splicing something, particularly under the hood of a car. if I have good access to the wire, i'll sometimes put a coating of silicone over the soldered area instead of tape to help keep it from corroding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Soldering, adhesive joints and good paint coating adhesion all require a clean surface. The acid flux or rosin flux are both cleaning agents ... best to start with a very clean/dry metal surface.

cleanliness is important for quality welds/brazing .... but in those cases the applied heat assists driving off garbage. Some 'maintenance' welding can be done on dirty/greasy surfaces, but the joint would not meet many quality specifications, because the garbage becomes part of the joint.

It helps to remove the residue of rosin flux after soldering (wait until cool), before sealing. I also oft use silicone RTV as a sealant, then coat with vinyl electrical tape for abrasion resistance.

Last edited by TomM96; 11-27-2019 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: fergat un

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
i'll sometimes put a coating of silicone over the soldered area instead of tape to help keep it from corroding.
That's a great idea! What do you use, and do you find that your silicone dries out in the container between uses?

Nothing worse than opening up a tube or tin of something, only to find that it has all dried out . . . and you end up making a trip to the store

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote