SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Cmarie3387
Cmarie3387 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Car will crank but not start

Okay I posted a previous thread about finding a piece and I have found one at a junkyard. I thought having the break booster check valve broken would cause my car not to start but it is fixed and still wonít start it cracks but no start. I went to the gas station to get fuel and put some in and still wonít start. It is a 2002 L 300 3.0 6 cylinder. Now when my boyfriend tries to start it sounds like it wants to start but just wonít completely start. We canít seem to hear the fuel pump. But this is the thing, about two weeks ago my boyfriend fixed and put in a new valve cover gaskets two were leaking when buying the car. We got a battery (used) but still good and we fired it up that night he finished the valve cover job. It started right up but seemed like a rough start...it must have been on for about less than 5 minutes when then shutting off on its own. Then he tried starting it again and again started rough and shut off...I remember the car didnít have much gas in it when purchased. Now another thing to add when he was fixing the valve cover gaskets he noticed oil in the spark plug valve if Iím saying it correctly? He drained it and made it dry. He didnít however take out the spark plugs themselves to see if any oil leaked in and thatís why we arenít getting a spark? But the car did start with it being filled with oil when there shouldnít be oil near the spark plugs.. Iím just wondering if he missed one of the wires when he did the valve cover job? Is it the spark plugs getting no spark bc they are wet underneath and we didnít check? Or is that we need a fuel pump? Or anything else...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmarie3387's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmarie3387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmarie3387 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Car will crank but not start

Great find! With a replacement vacuum check valve in place, please update the previous two threads to close them as a courtesy to anyone reading your threads. A brief description is all that's needed and if you like, more info about starting a new thread (this one) for the no start problem.

Oil in the spark wells can interfere with spark but all plugs wells would have to be filled with oil to prevent spark from occurring to all six plugs. One or several plugs wells with oil may prevent spark but the rest will fire resulting in a very lumpy engine run.

There are several ways to troubleshoot a no start problem. Presuming the engine cranks but doesn't fire up, two issues immediately come to mind - is this a fuel or spark problem? A third possibility will be discussed later if the first two possibilities fail together.

The easiest way to troubleshoot a L300 no start problem is spraying starting fluid into the throttle body. Remove the air intake tube to expose the throttle opening, spray starting fluid into the opening and try starting again. If possible, remove either the fuel pump or injector fuse. The reason behind this suggestion of pump or injector fuse is to remove any possibility of flooding the engine with a combination of fuel and starting fluid. Fuel may drown the engine from starting. This test will either result in a brief engine run from starting fluid or not. If the engine does startup and can run while spraying starting fluid, fuel is the problem. If the engine doesn't startup, the problem can one of three issues; ignition for spark failed for both ignition coil packs (one coil pack provides spark for three cylinders), ignition coil pack fuse(s) blown or a faulty crank sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Cmarie3387
Cmarie3387 is on a distinguished road

I will update the threads on the new find thanks! And my boyfriend and I have been researching all night with info and YouTube videos of what could it be. We started his moms Honda and heard her fuel pump the ďhumming soundĒ and we did not hear that when turning on my Saturn. So we found that he needs to check for pressure to see if there is any or not and then proceed to knock the fuel pump itself with a hammer and start to car to see if it turns over all the way if it does then itís the fuel pump...any suggestions on that?
And I will mention the tip of what you stated above as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmarie3387's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmarie3387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmarie3387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The fuel pump runs for 2-3 seconds when ignition is turned on then shuts off if the engine isn't started. Safety. There's no need to run a fuel pump if the engine isn't started and you'd have to have super hearing to determine if the pump runs when starting - no one can hear a pump buried in the fuel tank while the starter makes noises as the engine turns over. If you insist on trying to hear the pump you can use a long screwdriver with the tip pressed to the fuel tank or on the fuel filler neck with the other end pressed to one ear as someone turns on ignition. Don't start the engine. This 'stethoscope' works well. A fuel test valve on the fuel line over the engine can help determine if the pump runs. Once ignition is turned on, the ecm cycles the pump for a few seconds, more than enough time to develop pressure. Remove the black plastic cap to reveal the Schrader valve, same as the tire valve. Cover loosely with a rag while depressing the valve stem; fuel should shoot out. Pressure is around 40 psi. No pressure means a fuel issue.

Don't bother searching YouTube videos or other places if troubleshooting isn't specific to Saturn L300's. Unless you or your boy friend are experts at separating facts from hearsay and misinformation spread everywhere on the internet, you're likely to find misinformation. If you confine your search for information within these forums, you're likely to find all the info needed to help determine what's wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarie3387 View Post
...So we found that he needs to check for pressure to see if there is any or not and then proceed to knock the fuel pump itself with a hammer and start to car to see if it turns over all the way if it does then itís the fuel pump...any suggestions on that?...
The suggestion of tapping on a fuel pump with a hammer to jar something loose so as to allow the fuel pump to engage is of no use on an L-Series car. The fuel pump is inside of the fuel tank.

In general, you can avoid inadvertently following such a suggestion if you have a repair manual of some type to refer to. You could choose an online manual subscription from ALLDATADIY or MITCHELL for DIY mechanics (eautorepair.net), an aftermarket manual like Haynes or Chilton, or the Factory Service Manual (FSM). One can never be harmed by having direct access to good information. If found, the FSM is the most expensive hard copy manual with the greatest amount of information available. It is also spread out over several volumes due to the highly detailed information provided. Haynes or Chilton are much less expensive, very handy for the DIYer, but lack the detailed electronic repair information found in the FSM. An online manual is the closest thing to the FSM with a limited time use fee depending on how long you wish to have access to the information.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote