SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
baseman55
baseman55 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 L 5 spd clutch issue

My mechanic told me that this model wasn't hydraulic (self adjusting) and that I needed to adjust (tighten) up the linkage as it requires a lot of pedal to shift it. Does anyone have any input on this? Much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to baseman55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help baseman55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
baseman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 2000 L 5 spd clutch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman55 View Post
My mechanic told me that this model wasn't hydraulic (self adjusting) and that I needed to adjust (tighten) up the linkage as it requires a lot of pedal to shift it. Does anyone have any input on this? Much appreciated.
Rock Auto lists hydraulic clutch parts. Does any car built in this millennium have a mechanical clutch?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

You may want to get a different mechanic. Self adjusting hydraulic system. A quick visual inspection would show hydraulic lines instead of mechanical linkages.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Rock Auto lists hydraulic clutch parts. Does any car built in this millennium have a mechanical clutch?
N...nope. Back in the Neanderthal Age, my brother drove a Datsun B210 with a manual xmission. No hydraulic clutch. As the clutch wore, the clutch pedal would sink a little lower until too low to operate the clutch. Readjusting linkages to bring the pedal back up was the procedure. A definite feel for the clutch was felt without hydraulics dampening. I drove it a few times then bought a 5-speed manual with hydraulics. Night and day as hydraulics kill any feel for the clutch.

baseman55, I think you need to find another mechanic that knows the difference between old school mechanical clutches using adjustable linkages and non adjustable hydraulic clutches that self adjust for the life of the clutch. How many miles on your car? Are you the first owner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
baseman55
baseman55 is on a distinguished road

165K miles on the car and I bought it with 122K . From what I can see the clutch job is a pretty big deal. It shifts ok but seems pretty touchy and I gotta put it almost to the floor and shift gingerly. Ive had 3- S series cars and this group is awesome! I actually like the car but the clutch job seems like it may need to go while its still shiftin decent right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to baseman55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help baseman55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
baseman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman55 View Post
165K miles on the car and I bought it with 122K..... It shifts ok but seems pretty touchy and I gotta put it almost to the floor and shift gingerly...... I actually like the car but the clutch job seems like it may need to go while its still shiftin decent right?
If you mean replacing the clutch now then yes. Clutches wear out sooner or later with little references to go by. A rough idea might be city driving with more shifts wearing out clutches sooner while all high way rural driving might have less shifts per mile, prolonging a clutch. It would be wise to replace the hydraulics too when replacing the clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I used a LUK clutch kit in my car. It comes with a disc, pressure plate and a complete slave cylinder/throw out bearing assembly. I did not replace the master cylinder and have not had any problems with it. I did the job two years and about 30,000 miles ago.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote