SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
darkey
darkey is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Dizzy 04 L300 Serious charging issues

Greetings!

After a couple years of sitting, I am attempting to put my four cyl wagon back in service. Issue is it will Not charge/hold a charge.
I've had the alternator checked. With the key on, there is no current exciting the lead that plugs into to the alternator. I got an extra pigtail and attached two leads; one to the positive of the battery and one to ground. Still no charging { 9.5 volts}, and even with a fully charged battery it drains it in a few minutes of running. I've cleaned all the ground leads I can find ... does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing one of the modules - but that is just a guess and I have no idea how to test and/or isolate. Any and All suggestions and input Greatly appreciated! thank you, chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darkey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 04 L300 Serious charging issues

If you didn't remove the battery before leaving the car parked and used a trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged, the battery may be damaged. Car batteries self discharge when left sitting in or out of a vehicle. Some car batteries cannot be brought back from a deep discharge. It may be wiser to have the battery tested by your favorite auto store selling car batteries - they should have free battery testing.

Alternators usually output between 13-15 volts, averaging 14.4v at idle. Battery voltage before starting should be 12.5v.

If the car battery is fine and holds a charge, can start the car, the alternator may be faulty if voltage doesn't jump up above 13 volts after starting. If the alternator failed, the car runs off the battery, draining power until the engine dies. The battery is only needed for starting or running accessories without the engine running. Once the engine runs the alternator automatically supplies all the power the car needs while simultaneously recharging the battery at >13 volts. If you do not see 13+ volts after startup; drive belt is loose, fusible link wire between starter and alternator is blown or the alternator is faulty. The fusible link wire connecting battery power from the starter to the alternator should measure the same as battery voltage at the alternator post to verify a good wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
darkey
darkey is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Hello Mr. Dryer - nice to see you again!

After reading your reply, I started going over the car again. As luck would have it while I had the car running, I just happened to {miraculously} be looking at the alternator, when I observed the pulley not turning for a split second. I immediately shut it down and was able to spin the pulley, even though the belt was fairly tight; I had already checked it for wear, cracks etc. I put on what's left of my thinking cap, lol. I started the car, got a ratchet on the tensioner and put pressure on it and immediately heard the load on the alternator.

Have a new tensioner and belt on the way. hopefully this will cure it. This {obviously} stumped me as it seemed ok on visual inspection, which is why I attempted to bypass the harness with the pigtail and leads I improvised. Unfortunately the car needs a subframe which is beyond my physical ability, and that kills me. I Absolutely LOVE this wagon, and it only has 140k on it. Hopefully I'll find the energy when it warms up in spring ...

Many thanks for your reply, and all your generosity in helping us all out here! Best wishes, chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So you're slapping me in the face with new found info of a faulty belt tensioner? I'm glad to be wrong as a faulty belt tensioner is way less costly than the alternator. What I find inexplicable is a worn/damaged/broken belt tensioner. Having removed my belt tensioner several times, I'm familiar with how its made and unless a major design change occurred, they're well built to last the life of the vehicle. The only weakness would be the bearing as bearings have a limited life depending on where they're used. The large clock spring is extremely sturdy - the first time I removed the tensioner, I lubed the spring with lithium grease in hopes of prolonging its life against corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote