SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Homecoming1999
Homecoming1999 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Catalytic Converter fitment.....questions..

So, I want to eventually get my whole catalytic converter assembly replaced, I believe it is original and the piping/clamps look quite poor (like ready to fall apart)..

Why is it for almost every listing I see online, they only show for the SOHC engine and NOT the DOHC engine..

Example here.. Seems like a good price up in Canada.....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Catalytic-Co...NcUQNA&vxp=mtr

Is the fitment for SOHC and DOHC the same?

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Homecoming1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Homecoming1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Homecoming1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Catalytic Converter fitment.....questions..

After around '98 the aftermarket only makes the Fed Emission's level catalytic converter's while the vast majority of the cars use California Emission's. Bosal, I believe, is the only one that makes the right one for '99+; that said I wouldn't be surprised if the '99 is year specific.

They are engine and emission level specific if you want a bolt-on experience even when you find a manufacturer that makes the various options.

Toyota wanted over $500 for the muffler on my aunts Matrix (2-year single car interchange, NOTHING aftermarket...shops wanted over $600 for it plus $100ish to literally bolt it on)...I hunted around for a nearby mechanic with an exhaust pipe bender and the guy was able to make it for under $350 including labor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have ordered this one:
amazon
The seller is in Canada and I was waiting for two weeks for the package to be delivered. They have screwed up and twice provide me with the wrong tracking numbers and somehow couldn't mail the package at all initially. After I contacted the seller they sent the part with an expedited delivery and it came within 4 days. I was happy to get it finally and was pleased to see that all the flanges are properly oriented (no cut&welding required). But... There's no mount point for the downstream oxygen sensor. They simply forgot to add it Waiting for the replacement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_192447271.jpg (90.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_191245583.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Drill a hole in it and have a M18x1.5 O2 sensor bung welded onto it for $20 lol
Bung: https://www.amazon.com/Ledaut-M18X1-.../dp/B01N41391G

I do agree it's a boneheaded mistake you shouldn't have to pay for, especially with it being overpriced to begin with but it sounds like it'd be a faster fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Homecoming1999

1999 SL2

As I was mentioning, it seems hard to find a complete setup for the 99 DOHC...I did email the seller....they are actually about 20 mins away from me...

This place here..It says they have sold 26 of them.........

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1998-1999-Sa...75.c100623.m-1

They say it will fit the 99 DOHC as well.....
But when you do the crosscheck it says only for the SOHC.

Ughhhhh..

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Homecoming1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Drill a hole in it and have a M18x1.5 O2 sensor bung welded onto it for $20 lol
Bung: https://www.amazon.com/Ledaut-M18X1-.../dp/B01N41391G

I do agree it's a boneheaded mistake you shouldn't have to pay for, especially with it being overpriced to begin with but it sounds like it'd be a faster fix.
Thanks, the replacement should arrive tomorrow. I have paid $137 for it. All the bolts and gaskets included. All, but one. What's the size of the bolt that attaches downpipe to the engine? Last time I changed oil I've seen it quite rusty. Most probably will have to replace it also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecoming1999 View Post
As I was mentioning, it seems hard to find a complete setup for the 99 DOHC...I did email the seller....they are actually about 20 mins away from me...

This place here..It says they have sold 26 of them.........

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1998-1999-Sa...75.c100623.m-1

They say it will fit the 99 DOHC as well.....
But when you do the crosscheck it says only for the SOHC.

Ughhhhh..

Jason
I'm pretty sure the exhaust is standardized for both models. Maybe SOHC owners could measure the distance from some points under the bonnet to the flange of the exhaust manifold? Since blocks on both engines are the same that could be the only source of incompatibility

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

The 99 DOHCs are a little weird. My 99 SL2 was built in June of 1999 and the aftermarket Magnaflow cat/downpipe didn't fit right. However, the Bosal I have on there now fits great. My SL2 is a standard federal emissions vehicle, not sure if that makes a difference. The Bosal part number is 0795190, bought it from RockAuto a couple years ago for under $200 shipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
Homecoming1999

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
The 99 DOHCs are a little weird. My 99 SL2 was built in June of 1999 and the aftermarket Magnaflow cat/downpipe didn't fit right. However, the Bosal I have on there now fits great. My SL2 is a standard federal emissions vehicle, not sure if that makes a difference. The Bosal part number is 0795190, bought it from RockAuto a couple years ago for under $200 shipped.
Did the Bosal kit come with the gaskets/new bolts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecoming1999 View Post
Did the Bosal kit come with the gaskets/new bolts?
Nope, just the downpipe/cat. I use stainless steel fasteners for the exhaust anyway so it wasn't an issue that they weren't included.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote