SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Should I change the timing belt ?

Hello all, seeking input from members.*My 2003 LW300 has 77K on it.*
Although that is well below the recommended timing belt change mileage.
I am wondering if I should change it because of its age ?
Of course I would change the water pump and pulleys at the same time.
Thanks for your input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Should I change the timing belt ?

It will always be a personal choice against recommended timelines or mileage. Some go past 100k miles with zero issues but those may be exceptions with zero engine problems like a water pump or oil leak contributing to premature timing belt failure. Worn idler bearings don't seem to be a problem. I replaced my timing belt at 108k miles/16 yrs - water pump, belt and three idler pulleys don't seem any worse for wear but replaced as recommended for another 100k miles. I would say this is inline with (wise) preventive maintenance to ensure zero possibilities of belt/pump/bearing breakdown at the worst possible time. A timing belt letting go is almost a guarantee of immediate severe engine damage when things are in motion and cannot stop as synched camshafts/valves to pistons are suddenly no longer in synch (pistons meeting valves instead of avoiding each other). When I examined the original timing belt, pump and bearings, they appear to be able to go another 100k miles but aging does occur with the naked eyes unable to see beyond surface wear.

Your choice to replace timing belt, water pump and idler pulleys now if you intend to hold onto the car longer or anticipate selling it and passing this service to the next owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is a good question. Thankfully my Suburban has a chain.

When we bought my son's 2003 L300 5 years ago, it had 125K on the clock. I asked of the timing belt had been replaced and was told yes it had, though the seller could provide no paperwork to prove it. After purchase it went into my indi garage for the )2 sensor replacing (CEL on) and a new AC line (no AC). I asked the garage to check if the T/Belt had indeed been replaced. The answer was NO. So it was done at that point with all the other bits that you replace with the T/Belt. That meant the original belt had done 25K over the recommended 100K change time. The car hasn't missed a beat since replacement.

I just did a Google on your question and here's a link to a garage's answer on it. Their answer is both Mileage AND Time, whichever comes sooner. Time wise, they state between 7 to 10 years. That seems commonsense as the part is a rubber composite and as well know rubber perished with age.

https://www.greggsauto.net/2013/07/t...-timing-belts/

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

To put it simply. Better safe the sorry.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Follow up question.
Does the timing belt degrade sitting on the shelf ?
Would one that is new but 15 years old be OK to use ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Would I put an unused 15 year old rubber timing belt on my car? In a word...NO!

Rock Auto show their most popular Gates Timing belt for the car at $16.72 + shipping. I think a replacement engine costs a little more!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
Follow up question.
Does the timing belt degrade sitting on the shelf ?
Would one that is new but 15 years old be OK to use ?
Get a more recent one they don't cost that much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote