SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
bbnb
bbnb is on a distinguished road

Default Bad dealership repair for code P0449

Hello,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the last 3 years I've taken my 2008 Saturn Vue to the same GM dealer to repair this code. The first two costed about $200 each time for a broken wire harness under the gas tank. This third time I dropped the car off on Monday and on Tuesday they called and said that they needed to drop the gas tank for $350 because they couldn't find the problem. On Thursday they called and said they made repairs to the wire harness and car is ready for pickup. Total charges about $450.

I mentioned to the service department why didn't the tech replace the entire harness because this is the third time I'm bring it in for this issue. Their answer was to save me money.

Two days later code comes on again. I look under the car and I see the repairs they made. Some repairs have heat shrink and some electrical tape on exposed wires. It looks like the break in the wire was just under the gas tank and they needed to drop the tank to have room to make repairs.

I'm going to bring the car back to them and hoping they fix this problem the correct way with no additional cost. Any advise would be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbnb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbnb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
TheEagle
TheEagle is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Bad dealership repair for code P0449

I hate dealerships and dealers in general. They tried telling me I had needed my wiper motor replaced , when really I needed a linkage bushing. they are usually liars and they dont care about you . I hate them all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheEagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheEagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEagle View Post
I hate dealerships and dealers in general. They tried telling me I had needed my wiper motor replaced , when really I needed a linkage bushing. they are usually liars and they dont care about you . I hate them all.
That is shoddy. Have a word with their Service Director, not an advisor. Take your paper work. I have used the same dealership for 14 years and am very particular in any service I require.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JefferyC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JefferyC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnb View Post
.....I'm going to bring the car back to them and hoping they fix this problem the correct way with no additional cost. Any advise would be helpful and appreciated!
Dealerships and repair shops are in business to give us/you the business (double entendre intended)......because they're in business to make money. Of course, it's presumed every repair results in solving the problem (or not). Unfortunately and unless its spelled out in explicit terms of what, how, when, why, who and how long it may require to make a repair to solve a problem is often left out is where murky waters appear$ as repeated attempts to fix a problem more than once with the problem not corrected. I think it's safe to say most repairs and service are done on good faith to allow building up customer rapport of their dealer or repair shop.

I'll take this opportunity to relate a completely non vehicle issue with a surprising result. I am one of thousands having my old combination boiler/domestic water heater replaced with an on demand 95% efficiency rated combi boiler/dwh. Widely used all over Europe and Asia, high efficiency boilers and/or instant dwh are relatively new to the USA. Fast forward two years later with zero issues and a safety device died. This never interfered with boiler or water heating. I called the plumber and they discovered the device was never powered up with wiring missing. After some time, wiring was added to correct this deficiency. The device never failed as it was never powered up. Replacing it would have been a $650 repair but discussions between the plumber and his boss turned this expensive repair into zero charges ($99 service call included if a broken part needed replacement). I was pleasantly surprised about the explanation with a completely free repair to restore function to this safety device. I asked during the initial diagnosis and troubleshooting what to expect and was expecting a bill but they determined that since the part wasn't wired completely and they had to make it right, this incident didn't warrant a bill. I cannot expect honesty from anyone in business but apparently this plumbing company made it right on a new boiler/dwh installation. Dealers and repairs shops abide by business regulations but nothing is written about repeated repairs of the same problem and who foots the bill.

Whether this GM dealer is honest and up front is debatable since there are nuances of repairs that can defy the best intentions of initial repairs that are presumed to correct the problem. There are honest as well as disreputable dealers. Word of mouth and/or local BBB reports as well as online public complaints are some of the ways to bring attention to unscrupulous repairs.

P0449 is not a normal error with emissions controls complicating repairs. Initial definitions spell out either a wiring or part issue. GM should have expertise in repairs since they have their scantools to lead them to where they can determine repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote