SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Stupid clunk

Over big bumps and pot holes my front right clunks. In the past few months I've done bearings, struts, strut mounts, ball joints and sway bar links. Is there anything I'm missing? Control arm bushing appears fine. Steering is tight. Brakes dont effect it. I haven't jacked it up lately to look closer. Either a new part failed or came loose is my guess. Any other area I should look at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Stupid clunk

Been there. Try gently holding the brakes before you hit a pot hole and see if the issue goes away. There is a SB on this from GM and a $4 bushing that goes in the brake caliper that solves this. A rattling caliper makes a lot more noise than you'd think.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he...ttle_noise.pdf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

I appreciate he reply, but it still happens with brakes applied. I just pulled the wheel, and everything still seems good. Can the cv axel clunk? I felt a tiny bit of wiggle in it, side to side not up and down. Seems normal to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito View Post
I appreciate he reply, but it still happens with brakes applied. I just pulled the wheel, and everything still seems good. Can the cv axel clunk? I felt a tiny bit of wiggle in it, side to side not up and down. Seems normal to me.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203221

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

Alright. I'll check it out. I would think the steering would feel loose if this was the case but I'll definitely give it a look.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

No luck with the steering joint. Everything is nice and tight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...I would say it might be a failed bearing plate on top of the strut, if your control arm bushings are fine. Also look closely at the control arm bushings, especially the large one in the aluminum housing ,they separate over time, when bolted together in the frame , it's hard to see. Hope this helps, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
don280z
don280z is on a distinguished road

Check the top radiator mounts. They are rubber. Mine had pushed up out of place allowing the top radiator mount to clunk against the frame. You have to take out the two top bolts and pull the headlight assembly out a few inches to see the mounts. All I had to do was push them back down into place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to don280z's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help don280z reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
don280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
don280z
don280z is on a distinguished road

Motor Mount.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to don280z's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help don280z reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
don280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I had a thumping noise when I first got my vue years ago. Also clunky over bumps. I changed the mount on the left of the engine, I think itís under the air box. Stopped clunky and thumping at start. Itís really easy to
Change. 3 bolts.

Unfortunately, now I need to change the transmission mount on the rear. 🤪🤪

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

It's still clunking. I've done both motor mounts and the transmission mount behind the driver side wheel. I've also replaced both front cv axels. I'm guessing it's a strut but they are both new as of a couple months ago. Just trying to ignore it now. It frustrates me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Thatís frustrating...

Iím the same way, just invest in some hard rock music and turn it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

... It's rare , but very possible, that a strut or bearing plate failed, I had a new kyb strut fail ,it rattled over bumps and rock auto warranted it, just my.02, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
hacker_dx
hacker_dx is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 3.5L

Rear control arm bushing:!
I know you said it looks good. Mine did also, even with the arm off, steering felt fine too.
I Replaced the whole arm since it was original and we just turned 200k. Big difference.
In the year leading up to this I had replaced:
Struts/shocks, springs, bearings, sway bushings, sway links, rotors, pads, adjusted steering linkage, tires.
Starting @ $15+shipping for a pair at Rockauto, find something else you need to make an order worth it(wipers, filters, toe/camber links, etc.)

I donít know if it makes a difference, but I torqued mine with the arm under load; jack under ball joint, holding it at need ride height/angle

Good luck,
Craig

Current = 2007 Ion Sedan L2, 2004 Vue AWD6
Out there=99-SC2 84-Rampage 96-SL2 91-daytona 93-cutlass 89-daytona shelby 89-aries 79-colt 87-daytona 82-citation 85-nissan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hacker_dx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hacker_dx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hacker_dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

Well I took it to my local chevy dealer. My ignition was starting to get pretty bad. Figured it was time to get the recall done. So I had them look for the clunk while it was in there. They came up with sway bar bushings, a loose connection where the steering shaft meets the steering rack and................I need a new subframe. There is a fist sized section almost rusted through. I knew about rust spots in the unibody but I never noticed the subframe. Easier to see things on a lift though. I told them go ahead. $1500 for everything. More than I want to spend. But I've invested a lot of time and money in to her this year and I'm not about to quit now. But it sucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

you had a new subframe put in?
i pulled a trans on a fwd gm and could barely move the subframe when i had it laying on the garage floor.
i seem to recall the control arms were atached but still. a ton of metal, ok, 294lbs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote