SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: I bought a 99 SC2 slowly bring it back to life.

Timing chain should last the life of the engine. That motor has been operated with less than high quality oil though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #42
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm pretty sure the rear seat covers can be removed and laundered in a washing machine (gentle cycle, probably). For sure, the fronts on a DOHC can be removed.

Not positive, as on the SOHC cars, folks have reported that the front seat cover is glued onto the foam. So not sure if Saturn did the same to the rears. It's been about 5 years since I removed a rear seat bottom

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75536

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rla0xitaOfk

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #43
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@OldNuc we will be switching it to mobile 1 I run that in all my cars my boat and jet skis.

@alordofchaos Thanks for this info. I will be taking them off and putting through the washer that is a great idea.

Some more parts come in today from RA and the trans valve body will be here on Thursday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #44
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

My knock sensor and oil sensor had the wires broken. I took off the sensors wires added so wire soldered and added heat shrink. The knock sensor had very little wire sticking out maybe 1/8 inch at the wire loom.

In the end I got both of them soldered up and heat shrink on it.
I put new valve body in the transmission. Still not much reverse but I did not expect it to fix reverse without tightening and torquing the input nut.

I drove the car around the yard and when it shifted to second there was no more codes. Actually it has no codes at all right now.

Only one starter bolt was tightened down it looked like the top bolt was to long I put a shorter on in there and tighten it down.

I replaced the air filter. Rebuilt the transmission dog bone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180513_112308.jpg (210.1 KB, 126 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #45
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I ordered two Dorman replacement mirrors. They are black and my son is ok with that.
Hopefully they are decent if not they will go back. They were a better price than a Junk Yard version.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZM.JPG (34.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg ZMDriver.JPG (26.8 KB, 116 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #46
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Keep in mind thy are designed to break off, Federal requirement. They can be disassembled and be fixed with JB Weld, don't use the cheap polyester stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #47
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Keep in mind thy are designed to break off
I've tested this and can confirm the objective was met.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I have multiple examples. The true epoxy JB Weld is an effective repair - reinforcement before broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #49
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I like JB weld but these hacked mirrors would be hard to make them look good.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM.jpg (57.3 KB, 118 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #50
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep, those are done for. Save them for the glass in case you manage to break just the glass on one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #51
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I ordered 4 new tires off Walmart.com $177 and I opened CC account and got $25 off first order. The Total was $152 for 4 tires rated 45K with good reviews not too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #52
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

The driverís manual window is stuck up. I took it apart today and the windows regulator is bad.
I scouted out a replacement on Saturday when I was getting other parts. I did not get it because I had not taken the door apart to make sure what was bad.

I was going to pick it up today but they crushed the car yesterday.
I just ordered a new one ho well. At least the new one has a LT warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #53
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

My son installed the other wheel cylinder. Back brakes done. We are going to rebuild the calibers and the master cylinder. Flush old fluid.
I installed a new input nut and tightened input and output nut. While I was there I replaced the transmission mount the old one was so bad. Just broken.

I installed the injectors I got from the upick it JY the other day.
The other dog bone needs rebuilt and the top motor needs replaced. They are all not to good.
Walmart put the new tires on the rims under $200 installed not to bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180527_010023.jpg (110.7 KB, 104 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The trans and engine mount last much longer with good torque struts and polly inserts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #55
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Top motor mount is just as bad as the trans mount.

Both dog bones are rebuilt. New motor mount installed.
Oil replaced with synthetic oil and new filter.
Transmission fluid replaced and filter. It still had the magnet in there.
Brake calipers rebuilt master cylinder rebuilt and brake fluid flushed.
New ECTS installed.
Reverse is working good now and I drove it in the yard it shifted into second fine.

It my have bad valve seals it smoked when I first started it up but then cleared up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180610_165021.jpg (83.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 06-10-2018 at 05:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #56
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Bad valve seals are just lived with. That may clear up with an oil brand change.

Some people would never feel a thing until the engine falls out on the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #57
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Holy crap, I've seen some bad mounts on these forms but there's almost nothing left to that one. It must have felt like a rocket launching everytime you got into the car

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles