SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default I purchased a clone Tech 2, ask me anything.

I'll be doing ECU programming in the next couple of days, so I'll be able to answer questions about programming then. In the mean time, I'll try to answer whatever questions you guys have about the clone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Kaervak

1999 SL2
Default Re: I purchased a clone Tech 2, ask me anything.

So...no questions?

I'll give my "review" after using it a bit. The overall construction is very impressive. The clone doesn't feel cheaply made, good weight to it and everything fits together properly. No forcing things in or having to attach things a certain way. I took it and the CANdi module apart. The CANdi module has a mixture of Samsung, Motorola and AMD chips in it with NEC relays. (I'm aware they could all be fakes though) It was easy to take apart and easy to put back together. No having to force things in and hope for the best. The Tech 2 was the same. Quality chips and good build quality. My only "letdown" was the connectors for the ribbon cable going from the keypad to the mainboard. They seemed a little flimsy compared to the rest of the unit. Again, it reassembled quite easily. No forcing things together and hoping for the best. The cabling and connectors all have a good quality feel to them. None of that cheap wire feeling. The AC adapter is kinda meh, but that's an easy thing to replace if desired. The software and communicating with a laptop was rather straightforward and without issue. The laptop I'm using has an actual serial port on it so I can't comment on how using a USB to serial adapter works with it. I've still yet to do ECU programming so I can't comment on how that works. Soon as I do program, I'll give an update on it.

Now, for the level of information displayed. I have an Autel DS808 and that can display quite a bit of information from my 99 SL2. Compared to the Tech 2, it barely scratches the surface. Real time fuel MPG display, trans oil life, detailed ignition info, module control that the Autel says it can't do and a lot more. Obviously since it's the factory tool it can display more than an aftermarket tool can, I'm just hugely impressed with everything that it can display. I still have so much more to explore.

So, should this be your only scan tool? No, not unless you only own other GM cars. I'd recommend an Autel over this for the multiple manufacturer support. However, for the $280 shipped I paid for the clone Tech 2, it's worth every penny as an additional scan tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Would you please share a picture of the TECH II clone? Although there were no question raised by other members clearly people saw the posts and it was of some interest. In my case, I wouldn't know what questions to ask so placing a post would've been pointless. I agree with you that if one has other GM products, or expects to have more then getting this type of scanner is more justifiable. Having only one GM related car which - as of this date - has not displayed a DTC of any kind since I've owned it, the only times when a TECH II Scan Tool has been needed was for pairing RKE fobs to the vehcile.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Picture attached as requested. The Tech 2 is much larger than I expected it to be. The case in the picture didn't come with it, it was a purchase from Harbor Freight. Rather nice case too. From left to right, the Tech 2 itself, then the CANdi module, DLC cables and TIS2000 software, upper right is all the GM DLC connectors (ODB1 & 2) under that is the AC Adapter, 12v outlet adapter and fuse protected direct battery connection and serial cable. I also keep the laptop with TIS2000 on it in the case so everything is all in one place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2856.jpg (184.4 KB, 76 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Interesting - I seldom stray from the S series forums so did not see this post until just now.

Where did you buy this from?

You may want to post this in the S series general forum, even though Tech 2 goes beyond, just so that more people see the post.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:02 AM   #6
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Interesting - I seldom stray from the S series forums so did not see this post until just now.

Where did you buy this from?

You may want to post this in the S series general forum, even though Tech 2 goes beyond, just so that more people see the post.
I got it from chinacardiags.com Arrived direct from China in under a week via DHL. I was impressed with how quickly it got here. I'll cross post this in the S-series forum as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
I got it from chinacardiags.com Arrived direct from China in under a week via DHL. I was impressed with how quickly it got here. I'll cross post this in the S-series forum as well.
So which kit did you buy? SP23-1 or SP23-D or ??

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Hey Kaervak
I assume that this clone can do many different GM ecu? Do you know if it will also do current up to 2018?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
So which kit did you buy? SP23-1 or SP23-D or ??

I went with SP23-1. The difference between them is the SP23-D comes with a case but does not have free shipping. The case isn't anything special, save the money and buy one from Harbor Freight for $25 which is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3kw View Post
Hey Kaervak
I assume that this clone can do many different GM ecu? Do you know if it will also do current up to 2018?
The Tech 2 only supports up to 2013 models. After that GM changed to a different factory tool, the MDI if I remember correctly. The software that came with my Tech 2, if what I've read is true, will only program up to 2007 model year without having to pay for access to the GM servers. I still haven't done ECU programming, so I can't comment on how true that is though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
I still haven't done ECU programming, so I can't comment on how true that is though.
I'm anxious to hear how this works out - I have an '03 L81 ECU I need to program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

not sure what programming you think your going to do..i to have a tech2&candi clone..it works when it wants(intermitanly the screen will drop out.but it was free so no complaints)..the way we used the tec2 alone or with the candi was a 4 step process.. 1st bring up tis2web..gm techline server..2nd use tec2 with or without candi(06 back to 94 no candi module) and select request info..3 hook to pc/laptop via rs232 cable and remote tec2 power cable to power up tec2 to home screen..pc/laptop(I personaly have only ever used a pc as all 5 usb to serial port adapters I bought wouldn't work.gm sells one for 300)pulls vin and onscreen promts to load calibration to tech2..then 4th reconnect tec2 to car and choose sps option and follow promts...

in 2013 we started to go to mdi in 2014 we went to mdi2..so no tec2 wont communicate with 2014 and up...

as a side note I was wondering what virsion you at? 33.004 is the most recent..but we have lost a lot of oddball funtions...they also made tec2win that's basicly a tec2 installed on your laptop but you need an mdi for interface

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
m1super90
m1super90 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L

2003 V6 Vue

I have a Tech 2 clone as well. Ironic since I once was a s/w engineer at Vetronix programming it.

I installed a used BCM after the original died and am now showing 55k miles too few. I know this seems like maybe a good thing but I plan to keep the car indefinitely. So, I would like to just see the correct mileage rather than do the bit of mental math every time. Is there a way to up the indicated miles via the Tech 2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #13
Kaervak

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1super90 View Post
2003 V6 Vue

I have a Tech 2 clone as well. Ironic since I once was a s/w engineer at Vetronix programming it.

I installed a used BCM after the original died and am now showing 55k miles too few. I know this seems like maybe a good thing but I plan to keep the car indefinitely. So, I would like to just see the correct mileage rather than do the bit of mental math every time. Is there a way to up the indicated miles via the Tech 2?
I'm sure there is, just not sure how to do it. You probably have to use the TIS2000 software to update. I don't think mileage updates can be done through the Tech 2 itself. Could be wrong though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
m1super90

2003 VUE 3.0L

I'll poke around but you're probably right. Hmm.. actually, I may put in a call to someone at Vetronix to see if they put it in the code. heh heh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #15
SaturnMinion
SaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Question Re: I purchased a clone Tech 2, ask me anything.

I just got a clone. Planning on using it to diagnose a no start issue on my 2007 Saturn Ion. How's it working out for you guys? I just recived mine a couple of hrs ago...

2007 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan, 2.2L DOHC 16V with Duel Balanced Shafts. Automatic Transmission. 180,246K. One owner car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnMinion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
m1super90

2003 VUE 3.0L

Mine has worked flawlessly. I've even used it for service programming on my 2008 Sky and my 2003 Vue 3.0 (body module needed changing).

I worked at Vetronix in Santa Barbara years ago, the Tech II producer, so I'm very familiar with the real thing and have no reservation about using my clone equivalently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
SaturnMinion
SaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I also have the GM Tech2 User Guide instructions I found out there in the internet. Are they any useful. Saw a video that said one needs to get the cars system updated through AC Delco's website prior to programming. Is this necessary?

2007 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan, 2.2L DOHC 16V with Duel Balanced Shafts. Automatic Transmission. 180,246K. One owner car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
m1super90

2003 VUE 3.0L

Don't know what updating the car's system means (the car has multiple modules which can be updated: body module, engine control, Onstar module, etc.). You need to subscribe to Tis2Web, is all. The Tis2Web website connects via USB, USB to RS-232, to the RS-232 plug on the Tech 2. Tis2Web puts the Tech 2 into passthrough mode and uses it as an interface to program the car via the diagnostic link cable (through the CANdi adapter). Yeah, lots of stuff chained together to do this, but it works fine.

http://www.tech2wiki.com/doku.php

This should help a lot. In particular, if you need an USB to RS-232 adapter, be sure to use one on this list:

http://www.tech2wiki.com/doku.php?id...al_test_report

I used the Tripp-lite with no problems.
I tried the TRENDnet and it failed, even though it's listed here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #19
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Tis2Web...yeah that's what I meant. Thanks!

I also read somewhere that it has to be WinXP OPS laptop? I've got Win7. Have you seen or heard of any problems related to this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
m1super90

2003 VUE 3.0L

Nah! I use Win 10. No,worries!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!