SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
buCKshoTZ
buCKshoTZ has a spectacular aura aboutbuCKshoTZ has a spectacular aura about

2009 AURA XE
Default How to tell if aura has Remote start(without fob)

This may sound like a dumb question. I have searched on the forums and cant find anything on how to find out if my car has remote start. It didnt come with a key fob when I purchased the car used. Only 1 valet key. How do I know if it is equipped? Reason I am asking is bc im going to buy a set of fobs for it and need to know which one i should order! Thanks in Advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buCKshoTZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buCKshoTZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buCKshoTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to tell if aura has Remote start(without fob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buCKshoTZ View Post
This may sound like a dumb question. I have searched on the forums and cant find anything on how to find out if my car has remote start. It didnt come with a key fob when I purchased the car used. Only 1 valet key. How do I know if it is equipped? Reason I am asking is bc im going to buy a set of fobs for it and need to know which one i should order! Thanks in Advance!
Run your VIN through here
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

or call a local GM dealer with VIN and ask them to verify

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

whats a valet key on an aura?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
rpo code for remote start is AP3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
One of our forum members recently provided instructions in a different thread on how to test whether an AURA is capable of remote start:

Here's the link to the specific post with the instructions:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...1&postcount=10

This is the complete thread:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=197877

Let us know if it works for you.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have the owners manual, review it. If not; http://www.saturn.com/owners/owner_r...s/manuals.html. My guess is remote keyless entry is standard for Auras, remote starting either an option or standard. Having an ignition key using PASS-Key® III+ also enables/disables GM's theft deterrent system. If I'm not mistaken, these keys have the rfid chip embedded in the plastic part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

on 09 aura xe remote start came with convenience pkg. also includes heated seats, univ remote, auto dimming mirror with compass and a couple other things. if you have heated seats you have remote start

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
on 09 aura xe remote start came with convenience pkg. also includes heated seats, univ remote, auto dimming mirror with compass and a couple other things. if you have heated seats you have remote start
You are correct, as usual. Glad to see you're still here on a regular basis.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
TroubleFree
TroubleFree is on a distinguished road

I have leather and heated seats and compass and powered mirror, but where is the univ remote? Also I dont have the AP8 code or what not in my glovebox, its not there.

Did the codes change year to year? I was curious if this had remote start as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TroubleFree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TroubleFree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TroubleFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleFree View Post
I have leather and heated seats and compass and powered mirror, but where is the univ remote? Also I dont have the AP8 code or what not in my glovebox, its not there.

Did the codes change year to year? I was curious if this had remote start as well.
AP3 is code for LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, START

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
TroubleFree

So how can I tell if this car has remote start as well?

I mean it has everything else previously mentioned here in that same package, but on the sticker I do not see AP3

is it possible its still there? or was it possible to get those other options without getting remote start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TroubleFree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
So how can I tell if this car has remote start as well?

I mean it has everything else previously mentioned here in that same package, but on the sticker I do not see AP3

is it possible its still there? or was it possible to get those other options without getting remote start?
I suppose it's possible. You could try calling a GM dealer and ask if they can look it up on or give you a copy of the build sheet based on the VIN. If it doesn't have remote start, the dealer may be able to install or activate it in the car.
Can you post a pic of the options tag.
Here is a list of GM RPO codes. (Not sure of its accuracy)
https://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.ne...m/rpoCodes.pdf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Option packages change year to year. What year and model?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
TroubleFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Option packages change year to year. What year and model?

2007 XE 3.5L , 4 speed

has the back seat little radio thing, has heated leather seats, has sunroof

I'm still not sure if it has remote start though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have the factory original remotes, do they have the remote start button? Yes - press and hold the start button and listen for the engine startup and release. No - you don't have remote start and either ask your local GM dealer to check against your vehicle VIN or other info specific to your vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote.jpg (92.1 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #16
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
2007 XE 3.5L , 4 speed

has the back seat little radio thing, has heated leather seats, has sunroof

I'm still not sure if it has remote start though.
The little radio thing is the RCLDR module. It is the receiver for the TPMS, tire pressure monitor system and the Remote keyless entry system, in equipped models the remote starter.
There is only 1 part number for the RCLDR module but must be flashed at installation so it could contain different software. Thus you can't tell from it whether you have remote start. The remote start feature is software installed in the BCM so it could be in the module and be active or not active depending on the options purchased. This is why a call to a GM dealer with your VIN might best answer your question. Remotes must normally be programmed by the dealer anyway.
If you are willing to throw a few dollars at it to find out. Dorman has a programmer module (13731) that comes with a remote. For about what the dealer would charge to just program a remote to your car. One thing to remember, the programmer is good for 3 sessions then it's no good and all key fobs must be re-programmed at the same time. So if you want more than one key fob, buy them at the same time.
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-13731-...2920422&sr=8-3
Here is a link for extra key fob, without the programmer.
https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...2920659&sr=8-4

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 11-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have the factory original remotes, do they have the remote start button? Yes - press and hold the start button and listen for the engine startup and release. No - you don't have remote start and either ask your local GM dealer to check against your vehicle VIN or other info specific to your vehicle.
He said he doesn't have a key fob.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oops, my bad. Frustrating when suggestions aren't followed up, prolonging threads with others asking similar questions. Many never reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #19
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Oops, my bad. Frustrating when suggestions aren't followed up, prolonging threads with others asking similar questions. Many never reply.
All part of foruming...lol...for the longest time I wasn't getting notifications of replies, they were going to junk mail. I think that may happen to many people. Once I figured out how to whitelist the forum emails I started getting them right away.
Just so you know on the Aura to remote start, you press lock, then press and hold start for a few seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Thank you for the heads up on remote start use with factory remotes. When I copied the image for show, I assumed it was an easy 'press and hold the remote start button until the engine starts up....'.

Things tend to get complicated in some areas. My aftermarket remote start uses Saturn's factory remote; pressing Lock twice tells the remote start module to activate startup. My L300 uses the four button remote, no fifth button. The place installing remote start said they programmed the remote module to accept GMs remote signal instead of using the supplied remotes. If this were the case, I'd be carrying two remotes, the second one only for remote starting. I prefer simplicity and was glad they setup my car this way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!