SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Satillac
Satillac is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Dizzy Help please, bearing noise...but not bearing problem at all!!

So i have an automatic 2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC. When i first got the car it had 88k on the engine and everything seemed ok after i got used to driving the car. I began to hear a humming noise that sounded and still sounds like a bad bearing. The noise went on for about a month before my 2000 mile drive back home from kansas to new jersey, stopping in chicago, and niagra falls, canada. I got back home, and by this time i had roughly 97k on the engine as a daily driver. I am now at 98k and i changed the oil every 3k(i wanted to do 2k oil changes,but i dont really have extra money) (also i am going to school to be an airplane mechanic, so i am good with my hands and if u asked me to take the transmission out on this car, which i have never seen, and take it apart, i believe i could do it. Well back to the point..
The noise got a little worse, and OH YEH i forgot to say, i had this noise start before i got the rims and new tires. So i decided to change the wheel bearings and hubs in the front, it went well, most of my time was taken by pressing the bearings back in...... but i still have the noise.. i may actually be a little louder now..
My dad is a really handy guy,and he said it sounds like maybe the tranny has the wrong fluid, or the transaxle is going bad or the transmission??

Please help, i need tomake a 23 hour drive in 11 days and i dont want to be stuck on the side of the road with my transmission on the ground....haha..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satillac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satillac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satillac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Satillac

2000 SL1
Dizzy Re: Help please, bearing noise...but not bearing problem at all!!

also check out my pics, i cleaned the engine up for them and i have the new wheel bearing hub assemblies installed. If you need help doing that job or changine the thermostat or ects or iac or throttle body or anything, yourself i may be able to help...but i cannot solve this problem!!!!!!!!!!!

also i forgot to mention that my dad said, it could also be bad bushings

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Satillac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Help please, bearing noise...but not bearing problem at all!!

You have gotten about 10,000 miles out of the car, and nothing relating to the noise has failed yet?
Have you changed the tranny fluid & filter yet?
Is the level proper, color correct (not burnt smell or browned)?
If not the tranny, can you isolate the noise to one side or the other?
Does noise change at different speeds, or turning wheel to one side or the other?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Satillac

2000 SL1

First off, thanks for replying so fast ^_^
Alright, you are right i am looking into getting dexron 3 and changing the fluid in the transaxle. And i canoot really isolate the sound to either side. And nothing seems wrong, it just sounds wrong and i feel a little bit of vibrations in the accelerator and brake pedal(but i need to get my rotors resurfaced). The color is still a light pink i am happy to say, and i did do something stupid when i first got the car...
I was trying to change the oil, and i have never worked on a car with an exterior transmission filter, so i took that off because i could not read it from the oily caking on it..and i ended up putting it back on and filling the tranny fluid back up.
The noise gets louder as i speed up and it changes slightly, but not so much when i turn now( i say "now" because the noise used to become quieter when i turned to the left on the highway)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Satillac

2000 SL1

ok so i traded the back 2 tires for the front, the back tires were different tread and the front were the same, now it is opposite, well the problem got worse and i can feel the steering wheel pull a tiny bit, also the steering wheel is too easy to swerve with, its almost scary..
the noise got louder and i feel a little vibrations in the steering wheel and in the whole car, i havent felt that before in this car!

I need to make a 23hr drive in about 10 days and i need to figure out the culprit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is it possible the intermediate drive shaft bearings are worn and the cause of this bearing noise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int shaft.jpg (146.0 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Satillac

2000 SL1

Good imput....how would i check to see if they or it is worn? And I have almost gotten defeated by the road noise solution haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Satillac

2000 SL1

It doesnt seem that hard of a job from the picture, but there is a lot of unknown factors, i may try and change it because it cant cost anymore that like $40 or 50 for the bearing and it kind of seems like fun ^_^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There may be a post about this intermediate shaft replacement with pictures for better clarity as service manuals are lacking this feature. I don't know how bearing nose is checked other than trying a push/pull against the shaft even though its secured to the engine/xmission. The right drive axle will have to be removed in order to remove this shaft for examination. Pm an email address if you need service manual procedures Include car info and what's needed. There is no information for bearing replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If the intermediate shaft bearing is shot you will get a hum/vibration that is centered low down on the front floor center. This the rebuild thread and do not use a cheap bearing. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=1976952 It is a double sealed bearing #6206. You will also need some CV joint grease which they now sell in most parts stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satillac View Post
So i have an automatic 2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC. When i first got the car it had 88k on the engine and everything seemed ok after i got used to driving the car. I began to hear a humming noise that sounded and still sounds like a bad bearing. The noise went on for about a month before my 2000 mile drive back home from kansas to new jersey, stopping in chicago, and niagra falls, canada. I got back home, and by this time i had roughly 97k on the engine as a daily driver. I am now at 98k and i changed the oil every 3k(i wanted to do 2k oil changes,but i dont really have extra money) (also i am going to school to be an airplane mechanic, so i am good with my hands and if u asked me to take the transmission out on this car, which i have never seen, and take it apart, i believe i could do it. Well back to the point..
The noise got a little worse, and OH YEH i forgot to say, i had this noise start before i got the rims and new tires. So i decided to change the wheel bearings and hubs in the front, it went well, most of my time was taken by pressing the bearings back in...... but i still have the noise.. i may actually be a little louder now..
My dad is a really handy guy,and he said it sounds like maybe the tranny has the wrong fluid, or the transaxle is going bad or the transmission??

Please help, i need tomake a 23 hour drive in 11 days and i dont want to be stuck on the side of the road with my transmission on the ground....haha..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If the intermediate shaft bearing is shot you will get a hum/vibration that is centered low down on the front floor center.
OldNuc, will it sound like you have snow tires on when you don't?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is what they sound like when real loose but yes. Slightly tweaking the wheel will not materially change the sound either but shifting to neutral will.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is what they sound like when real loose but yes. Slightly tweaking the wheel will not materially change the sound either but shifting to neutral will.
Tried the tweaking the wheel left and right (to check hub bearing) and no change in sound. I'll have to try neutral like you mentioned. For a manual transmission, pressing the clutch in wouldn't suffice?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Letting off the throttle till floats or declutch, either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
Satillac

2000 SL1

thank you for the information on the intermediate shaft bearing replacement, i have one problem with it....time. Can the intermediate shaft bearing be a very bad problem? or can it get to the point where i take a turn ant it comes out or what could be the very worst symptoms of this, i want to know because of financial situations.
Sorry i didnt answer any posts until now, i did not have internet until now, i made my trip back to Kansas and all went well, except for the drive through West Virginia which put a very rough strain on my engine considering the 7% grade mountains and hill climbs i had to endure and my persistence to get back so fast.
I acquired another problem on my way back home...... ill make another post with it......

Thank you so much for your replies!!!!
and my sound that i get does sound alot like i have snow tires when i do not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rather than speculate on whether or not you can drive it this way, jack up the car and look - it will be obvious if a bearing is gone. The intermediate shaft is open for inspection. Avoiding a repair may work but there is no guarantee how long you can avoid repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #17
Satillac

2000 SL1

Ok so, when i was on my way back to kansas i went through west virginia, i beat my car up, going up those 7%grades and i shouldnt have, but i have had past problems driving over 9hrs, and i drove 2 11hr days to get to my destination, so yes i did race my engine more than i wanted to..
I want a race car. That is the moral to the story, i was not blessed with an automatic, and i hate my 100hp 2000 sl1 engine. I want it to go faster than it should but i am young and i have always been fascinated with racing.
Well ok, here are the symptoms:
ONLY when i accelerated(this only happened when i was driving through west virginia and the whole rest of my trip) i seemed to acquire a weird induction noise... It kind of sounded like i had something clogging my air intake, i only got the sound when i pressed on the accelerator. Well i check it, checked my oil, checked my transaxle fluid 5 times during my trip. I needed to add a little transaxle fluid(only because i didnt check it 2 times after i did my transaxle fluid change), and of course i added oil, but not as much as i expected, and the air filter was fine. Im driving it now, doing deliveries and daily driving and i dont have the noise anymore(Im pretty sure).

But my misfire has gotten worse. I am experiencing rpm drops around 3k rpm and 4k rpm and it is really starting to worry me... i replaced my coil packs for a day and it didnt do anything so i brought them back and returned them, then i got new spark plug wires and they didnt do anything either but i kept them.
So, troubleshootingwise*, my problem sounds like an electrical problem, and it doesnt seem to exsist within my coil packs, spark plugs, or my spark plug wires. What else should i look at?? my PCM??? I think that is the last thing to check.. Ive replaced my IAC, ECTS and thermostat.

Also i have a really powerful sound system and i have SES lights at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
Satillac

2000 SL1

One more thing that may be crucial......

I tried to hallow our my 2nd catalytic converter by hammering it, hopefully cracking it and having it shoved out of my exhaust(no muffler). No debris came out, so i think i failed in doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #19
Satillac

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Rather than speculate on whether or not you can drive it this way, jack up the car and look - it will be obvious if a bearing is gone. The intermediate shaft is open for inspection. Avoiding a repair may work but there is no guarantee how long you can avoid repairs.
i will check it out when i have a jack in possession definitely, If what u r saying is true, then i can see my bearing without any disassembly.

ty again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!