SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
electricbluevue
electricbluevue is on a distinguished road

Default saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to fix yourself?

2004 manual fwd saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to replace hazard switch part #10359038 yourself? Is it in the steering column? We just had an airbag light fixed and clock spring replaced so we wouldn't want to open up the steering column ourselves.

Last edited by electricbluevue; 07-04-2010 at 02:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to electricbluevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help electricbluevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
electricbluevue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to fix yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbluevue View Post
2004 manual fwd saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to replace hazard switch part #10359038 yourself? Is it in the steering column? We just had an airbag light fixed and clock spring replaced so we wouldn't want to open up the steering column ourselves.
A single flasher serves the hazard and turn signals and is part of the assembly behind the hazard button on center instrument panel.

I've not dug into this mess but I understand its not too difficult to replace the assembly.

I've attached a couple of files - but the center console remove / replace (R2)instructions exceed forum limits. I'll email if you send address by private message.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Hazard Switch R2.pdf (57.3 KB, 359 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Shft Lvr Bezel R2.pdf (96.1 KB, 226 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
electricbluevue

Default Re: saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to fix yourself?

Took the vehicle to champion chevrolet and since the blinker was currently working they said the could not diagnose it. They want me to leave the vehicle there all day so that they can periodically start it (which usually resets the engine and gets the blinker to work again) through out the day. Not happy with these people. How is seeing the blinker not working going to change anything(unless he though i was not telling the truth about it not working). It is our only vehicle with car seats so I can't just leave it all day unless it was an emergency. far2grumpy going to have to send you my e-mail. I am just not loving champion chevrolet at the moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help electricbluevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Took the vehicle to champion chevrolet and since the blinker was currently working they said the could not diagnose it. They want me to leave the vehicle there all day so that they can periodically start it (which usually resets the engine and gets the blinker to work again) through out the day. Not happy with these people. How is seeing the blinker not working going to change anything(unless he though i was not telling the truth about it not working). It is our only vehicle with car seats so I can't just leave it all day unless it was an emergency. far2grumpy going to have to send you my e-mail. I am just not loving champion chevrolet at the moment.
I'd suggest you not leave the Vue with them.

A few items could contribute to the intermittent operation. I'm thinking it could be caused by a large load on the electrical system. For example, when engine RPM is low and you're using lights, A/C, blower on high and radio the alternator probably can't keep up with demand. This is a normal condition but does result in a lower voltage being delivered to the flasher assembly. If the flasher is a tad flaky it'll work when voltage is high but not work when voltage is low.

Don't get the impression there's a problem with your electrical system - I'd say if you get a good strong crank from your starter, when needed, the battery and alternator are "spot-on".

I've emailed instructions to replace the flasher assembly. You could call several places to compare prices. The INTERNET is always a good option and you could check with saturnparts.net or Rockauto.

Please repost if you'd like to have assistance finding the flasher.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Venomized
Venomized is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Electrical problems can be a PITA to diagnose. When they are working properly it is VERY difficult to tell what is wrong since all proper signals are being made.

You can drop it off with them and spend 10 hours of shop labor rates to find a problem on an intermittent problem or wait til its good and broken to spend 1 hour of shop labor rates to find the obvious problem and fix it.

All depends if you want it fixed or to throw money at it.

06 Vue AWD V6
01 Grand Cherokee
05 Gulfstream Conquest 28 foot class C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venomized's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venomized reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venomized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
electricbluevue

If it is the hazard switch will it eventually go out and STAY out permanently? Over the past two months the blinkers stopped working maybe once every week. Since the past week they are going out about every ten-fifteen minutes of driving. I am tempted to wait until the hazard switch goes(if that is what the problem is) and the blinkers stay off permanently to take it in or just spend $40 bucks now and replace the switch ourselves. Those are the two options that I think we are trying to decide between.
The champion chevrolet wants $115 just to diagnose the problem. So, as long as we don't break anything(plastic bevel trying to bet it off) and the hazard switch is what the problem is then we would be ahead to just buy the part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If it is the hazard switch will it eventually go out and STAY out permanently? Over the past two months the blinkers stopped working maybe once every week. Since the past week they are going out about every ten-fifteen minutes of driving. I am tempted to wait until the hazard switch goes(if that is what the problem is) and the blinkers stay off permanently to take it in or just spend $40 bucks now and replace the switch ourselves. Those are the two options that I think we are trying to decide between.
The champion chevrolet wants $115 just to diagnose the problem. So, as long as we don't break anything(plastic bevel trying to bet it off) and the hazard switch is what the problem is then we would be ahead to just buy the part.
EBV

Lets make sure we (I) understand the problem.

Are you saying the turn signals don't always work as expected?

If it is the turn signals, do they fail on both sides, sometimes right turn and sometimes left turn?

Do you know the signals aren't working because the lights on the dash don't blink, or you know for sure the external turning lights also aren't blinking?

If it is the turn signals - next time they fail to blink - cancel the turn signal and press the hazard switch to see if it blinks.

If it does, you might also determine if hazards are blinking on the four corners.

If the hazards always operate normally, the problem is probably caused by the turn signal switch in the steering column.

Don't despair because other forum members have found this switch easy to change.

You can find a diagram of the turn and hazard lights in post # 3 of the following thread:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=139633

The diagram might not mean much to you but you may know someone who can look at the diagram and explain how the single flasher provides signals for turn signals and hazard lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I too am wondering what "not working intermittently" means?

As in does not flash (but come on)

Or... Don't do nothing at all

The blinkers not flashing could be something as simple as a loose bulb...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
MRink
MRink is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

far2grumpy, could you also PM me that center console PDF that's too large for the forum? I believe I also have a problem with my hazard/flasher, if I understand the OP we're in the same boat:

About 80% of the time I have normal working turn signals, but the other 20% they're dead when I try to use them -- left or right. I'll have to troubleshoot with the hazards themselves when I'm experiencing the turn signal problem. Usually the working or not working state of the turn signals will persist until the next time I drive it, but lately I've been noticing that during the same drive it will alternate between working and not working when I go to use them.

KoolVue's problem description in post #3 of this thread from four years ago: saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77906 describes mine exactly. Unfortunately, there was no follow up report to say that replacing the flasher fixed the problem. For ~$40 is seems like a good gamble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MRink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MRink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
DMVue
DMVue is on a distinguished road

I hope yall don't mind me asking, but my blinkers work. The problem is when the turn switch is off or the hazzards are off, my relay is clicking at 2x speed but no lights are flashing. Blinkers and hazzards work fine, I just can't stand the constant clicking all the time while driving. Does this souund like a switch problem or a relay problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DMVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DMVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DMVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
saturntweaker
saturntweaker is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to fix yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
A single flasher serves the hazard and turn signals and is part of the assembly behind the hazard button on center instrument panel.

I've not dug into this mess but I understand its not too difficult to replace the assembly.

I've attached a couple of files - but the center console remove / replace (R2)instructions exceed forum limits. I'll email if you send address by private message.
greetings mr. grumpy!

would you be so kind as to mail me these instructinon's as well.

[center console remove / replace (R2)instructions]

cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturntweaker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturntweaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturntweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntweaker View Post
greetings mr. grumpy!

would you be so kind as to mail me these instructinon's as well.

[center console remove / replace (R2)instructions]

cheers!
I'll email them if you use PM function to forward an address.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Does the VUE not have a cheap plug-in flasher that anyone can replace? It could be the flasher if the problem is not the switches in the steering column that are controlled by the LH stalk. Like far2grumpy is trying to get you to do, you have to determine if the problem is the stalk or flasher. So, the next time the turn signals don't work, hit the hazard lights to see if it makes all the lights flash that it's supposed to. Turn it right off and check the turn signals again. If the flasher works with the hazard light switch, the problem is most likely in the steering column. If the turn signals still don't work right after the hazard light is turned off, it just about proves it's the stalk.....unless the VUE has a 2-flasher set-up, one for the turns and one for the hazards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
ericksonrs
ericksonrs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVue View Post
I hope yall don't mind me asking, but my blinkers work. The problem is when the turn switch is off or the hazzards are off, my relay is clicking at 2x speed but no lights are flashing. Blinkers and hazzards work fine, I just can't stand the constant clicking all the time while driving. Does this souund like a switch problem or a relay problem?
Did you find the solution for this...mine is doing the exact same thing! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericksonrs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericksonrs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericksonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksonrs View Post
Did you find the solution for this...mine is doing the exact same thing! Thanks!
The turn signal and hazard flasher is a single unit. Sounds like yours is due for replacement. You'll need to obtain a new flasher. RockAuto sells for around $44 USD - shop around and you might find a better deal.

You'll also need to remove the instrument panel. I've attached two files to this post but the IP panel file is too large to attach. I can email if you PM address.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02 Vue - Flasher R2.pdf (57.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: pdf 02 Vue - Shift Cnsl R2.pdf (96.0 KB, 93 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
The turn signal and hazard flasher is a single unit. Sounds like yours is due for replacement. You'll need to obtain a new flasher. RockAuto sells for around $44 USD - shop around and you might find a better deal.

You'll also need to remove the instrument panel. I've attached two files to this post but the IP panel file is too large to attach. I can email if you PM address.
I had the same problem and replaced with this part, it was real easy and took care of the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
kaceykc0578
kaceykc0578 is on a distinguished road

Post Re: saturn vue blinker intermitantly working. How difficult to fix yourself?

I have a problem with the signal lights sometimes working. I have a 2004 saturn vue v6. When the signal lights don't work they don't show on the dashboard and don't work outside either. The hazard lights work perfectly. One thing I've noticed is when the signal lights don't work, if I press the hazard light button a little the signal light will work. I have to keep my finger pressed for the signal to keep working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaceykc0578's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaceykc0578 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaceykc0578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceykc0578 View Post
I have a problem with the signal lights sometimes working. I have a 2004 saturn vue v6. When the signal lights don't work they don't show on the dashboard and don't work outside either. The hazard lights work perfectly. One thing I've noticed is when the signal lights don't work, if I press the hazard light button a little the signal light will work. I have to keep my finger pressed for the signal to keep working.
I would replace the turn/hazard flasher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
sharaty
sharaty is on a distinguished road

My hazard flasher button pushed into the dash and I temporarily fixed it. Then a couple months later, sometimes the signal light would work and sometimes it would stop working, maybe 15 - 30 seconds after the car was started. Then the flasher button pushed into the dash again. If we tapped the hazard flasher button, the turn signal work for a very short while.

Someone else posted about a bezel you can buy (about $25 from the dealer) that the flasher unit slips and locks into so I got that from the dealer and a new flasher from Partsgeek.com for like $35 with shipping and everything works fine now. The bezel for an 04 Vue was part# 22702075. You could use duct tape but I'd rather repair it "properly" and it didn't cost much more.

The bezel is a very poor design and will likely break after pushing the hazard button enough times so be gentle when pushing it.

There's a Youtube video on the internet showing how to remove the console and electrical connections to get the console all the way off so you can replace the bezel - not very hard - just take your time.

All the info on here really helped so thank you everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sharaty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sharaty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sharaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
SailFan
SailFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg View Post
I had the same problem and replaced with this part, it was real easy and took care of the issue.
Checking is this the part?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flasher,10139

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SailFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SailFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SailFan is offline   Reply With Quote