SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #61
Rattlesnake
Rattlesnake is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Spark Plug Change for Astra

Good instructions. Thanks. I changed the plugs on my 2008 Astra at 45K miles and again at 90K miles. Both times was when the service engine light came on. The light went out after I changed the plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rattlesnake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rattlesnake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #62
huangke0530
huangke0530 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjlp View Post
Great write up, Now I can change them.
How are you, very happy to see you here, can we make friends?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huangke0530's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huangke0530 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huangke0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #63
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to you all that make my life easy with your great postings. Gapping to 0.35 my car's engine sound was terrible. I had purchase 8 Autolite XP Xtreme Performance Spark Plugs. If I blow 4 Iridiums, I have 4 left. I did change back to the original Iridium gap that is 0.40 with positive results. Now my car sound is smooth. Also, a bunch of articles sustain that the Iridiums do not need gapping because their melting point, strength, resistance, hardness, fine wire are way more times than our GM bosch. After 25K miles our GM bosch were melting they had a gap close to 0.45.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #64
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The stock spark plugs in these cars are copper/nickel plugs which won't last more than about 25,000 miles with the ignition energy and high cylinder temperatures of a modern car.

Always check your spark plug gap prior to installing. I gapped my iridium plugs to .45, and the car seemed to like it. With ANY coil-on-plug ignition, you can run a fairly large gap and be fine. More energy can cross more air. With a smaller gap, you were probably not igniting the fuel well because the spark was too small. Generally, the bigger the gap, the better.

Then again, I'm the guy that side gaps his plugs in his race car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #65
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Good results! I gapped to 0.45. After two weeks of observation, now my fuel consumption is improved to over 35 miles/gallon. Before it can make somewhere around the 32 miles/gallon with the stock plugs. These results are highway mileage only with air conditioner on/off. Also, my tire size is a Continental DWS 225/45-18 that is a bigger tire that lowers my rpms. Most of my travel is around 65mph at 3000 rpm. Other, changing spark plugs in our Astras is a lot easier than changing oil....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #66
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

Are you also correcting your fuel econ? If you have a different tire diameter, you have to correct your fuel economy if you're using the BC OR your own calculations. You change your outside diameter, your odometer is off. If it's enough to make a change to your speedo, you need to be doing extra math.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #67
velocast

I did the gapping thanks to your expertise Vanilla Sky. For the fuel economy, the math is simple I divided total miles used by total gallons used in the same time period. For the speed, I used the GPS Tom Tom VIA 1535 TM that has a cool feature that reads the actual speed a car is traveling... Over 35 mpg I can't believe it's true....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #68
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

The issue is that a different diameter also throws off the odometer. Are you using a GPS based odometer? That's what I used in my Jeep, and it's DEPRESSING how many feet I go on a barrel of dino juice and popcorn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #69
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Equally as easy as the spark plug change is an oil/filter and air filter change.

I'm amazed at the fact that I can change my oil/filter and check my air filter (didn't require a change but a change would take just as much time) in less than an hour.

I'm no mechanic, so the fact that I can do something so quick and easily just makes owning this car even better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #70
runwhatyabrung
runwhatyabrung is on a distinguished road

Changed my plugs 58000KM (36000 miles) on them Went with Autolite Iridium. That's what they looked like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugs58233KM.jpg (79.9 KB, 137 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runwhatyabrung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runwhatyabrung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runwhatyabrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Petroleum
Petroleum is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Commenting to keep this thread alive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Petroleum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Petroleum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Petroleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #72
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

So easy to do. Replaced with Autolite Iridiums. Total time <20 minutes. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it did seem to run a little more smoothly.

The plugs in the picture were put in by the dealer at 25k, so they had about 30k on them.

Saved close to $150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01422.JPG (141.8 KB, 101 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Do you guys break the old plugs loose and turn the car over before fully removing them to blow out any carbon build-up?

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #74
paulff3

I bought Denso Double Platinum plugs. I let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #75
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

I'm not sure I'd do that with aluminum heads. I've seen far too many properly torqued spark plugs blow out to want to try it with loose ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #76
paulff3

I'm not going to try it. Just something I saw Pat Goss suggest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
Petroleum
Petroleum is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Thanks a million cschmidt1956! I used your guide to do the spark plugs and replace my bad ignition module. I bought the car with 38,000 miles and I assumed that the previous owner had done the spark plug change at 25k. Wrong. The factory spark plugs were toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Petroleum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Petroleum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Petroleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #78
e30astra
e30astra is on a distinguished road

alright gonna to give this a shot on the weekend as well..hope i don't screw it up... i've got about 57000KM's on the car hope the plugs aren't too bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to e30astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help e30astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
e30astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #79
paulff3

First let me say thank you to all that contributed to this DIY.

I did my plugs yesterday. Car has 27,000 miles on it. With the help of this thread and speaking to a couple of fellow friends, the plug change took 20 minutes. I used Denso Double Platinum plugs. I've included a picture of the old plugs. I have no idea if they are used up or had more life in them. I could see the tip has lost some of it's form or shape.

And I did use a little anti-seize. Just a tiny pinch.

Cabin air filter is next.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120812-00034.jpg (194.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120812-00031.jpg (99.8 KB, 87 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #80
e30astra
e30astra is on a distinguished road

Dealer wants $190 plus taxes to change my plugs today... need to try and do this myself asap lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to e30astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help e30astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
e30astra is offline   Reply With Quote