SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #41
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Spark Plug Change for Astra

Thanks for the write up. I changed the plugs the other day no problems.

I had 40,000 miles on my plugs. I would post a picture of them but have not figured how to do that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Just changed my plugs at 37,000 km. they had a bit of carbon build-up, put nothing major.

The spark plug wells were as spotless as the OP, and I was surprised!!

I put E-3 DiamondFire spark plugs, apparently they are "high performance" ... whatever that means. Honestly, no noticeable difference from stock. at 15$/2, I'm mildly peeved.

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #43
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

They're gimmick plugs, what did you expect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #44
Driver001
Driver001 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks very much for the information. I have not changed spark plugs in over 20 years. I was amazed about how easy it was to get done! The O.E.M. Bosch Plugs Had about 40K on them and were ready to be changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Driver001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Driver001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Driver001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #45
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I just changed mine at 24,000 and they could have easily went another 10,000 miles, but since I had all $9 worth of spark plugs and the new ones ready to go in, I decided to do it anyways.

It was really easy, took 20 minutes.

I was amazed at how simple a spark plug change can be in comparison to a cabin air filter change. What should be easier?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #46
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
I just changed mine at 24,000 and they could have easily went another 10,000 miles, but since I had all $9 worth of spark plugs and the new ones ready to go in, I decided to do it anyways.

It was really easy, took 20 minutes.

I was amazed at how simple a spark plug change can be in comparison to a cabin air filter change. What should be easier?
No kidding, right? That CAF was a pain. I'd so much rather do the sparkplugs anyday.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #47
RicardoB
RicardoB is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Had a coupon for a free oil/OF and tire rotation so I had that done Friday. The Check Engine light was on so I left it overnight and they replaced the fuel filler tube and cap. Poor seal. I had the fuel filler tube changed about a month after buying the car in November of 2008 under recall. They changed the CAF for $28.75.

I just changed the plugs this morning with Autolite AP5224. Thanks for the tutorial. Easiest plug change of any car I've had since my 1955 Chevy I paid $50 for in 1965. I took it for a drive of about 3 miles and there was a very noticeable improvement in acceleration. The original plugs were Bosch and were not in bad shape but the gap was over 40. Gapped the new ones at 35.

21,747 miles. Average mpg 29.281

2008 Astra XR 5sp Manual, High End Audio, 18" Wheels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicardoB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicardoB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicardoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #48
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

So what model of NDK's are you guys using? Iv just hit 35,000 kms and am gonna switch my autolites. I'll post pics of what they look like.

Brad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KillerX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KillerX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #49
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well, for ****s and giggles today, i took RED for her alignment, boy was she out of wack and stopped by my local NAPA Auto Parts and picked up a Set of Denso Plugs. Out of the box they were gaped at .045" and i checked my original Bosch OEM Plugs and they were around .040" - .043". So, I remembered someone posted .035" for the gap and its what our manuals states, so i gaped the Denso plugs to that spec of .035".

Took it around the block and its hard to tell if it made a difference or not, because i let it run for a bit at idle and hoped in and hit the gas(stupid cam position sensors are flaking on me again). So, im going to let the car cool a bit before i take it out for its test run on the new plugs.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #50
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I was having a rough idle for the last week, so I changed my plugs. I picked up a box of XP-5224 and some water remover for the gas.

I wanted to pick up some oil filters, but they stopped carrying that filter.

There was a significant amount of wear on the plugs. Especially for only 18000 miles.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #51
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox1984 View Post
Took it around the block and its hard to tell if it made a difference or not, because i let it run for a bit at idle and hoped in and hit the gas(stupid cam position sensors are flaking on me again). So, im going to let the car cool a bit before i take it out for its test run on the new plugs.

What are the symptoms produced by the cam sensors going bad?

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #52
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzerocool View Post
What are the symptoms produced by the cam sensors going bad?
lost of power accelerating. i cant get it fixed till the next time it kicks the light on, which is whenever it decides to do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #53
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

Do the cam sensors also cause valve rattle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #54
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
Do the cam sensors also cause valve rattle?
yes i have heard mine rattle like crazy when i step on the gas hard to get the car moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #55
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox1984 View Post
yes i have heard mine rattle like crazy when i step on the gas hard to get the car moving.
Yes those were the problems I had too when mine had to be replaced: loss of power, rattling or pinging, and engine light. I may be developing these conditions again because there is at times some loss of power and I hear a little pinging especially under moderate or aggressive acceleration. It's hard to tell especially this time of year with the heat (or maybe heat soak) and running the AC.

What causes this to keep happening? Are all cam sensors just funked? The little engine that is working too hard to pull the weight/stress? I'd hate to have to worry about this out of warranty because I really like this car and this is a needless expenditure to reoccur.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #56
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

I wonder if it's something that a simple cleaning will fix. I'll do some research and find out how these things are constructed. I'll bet that they're parts-binned and we can find them inexpensively stateside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #57
tj_white99
tj_white99 is on a distinguished road

I was experiencing sluggish acceleration with my 2008 Saturn Astra. There was also a rattling from a cold start and so I started researching for what it could be. A short time later the check engine light went on and I took it in for service. They replaced a sensor and mentioned the plugs probably should be changed. I knew that was something I could do myself. Thanks for the detailed instructions and advice everyone. The acceleration returned after service but the rattling from a cold start persisted. It stops after the car warms up. To me it sounded like it was coming from the exhaust system. I'm hoping changing the plugs may help with the noise. The dealership couldn't offer any explanation for the noise. I saw a post from someone looking for pictures of worn plugs. These are my original plugs after 47,000 miles. I'll make sure to replace them again at around 25,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugs.jpg (126.9 KB, 142 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tj_white99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tj_white99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tj_white99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #58
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_white99 View Post
I was experiencing sluggish acceleration with my 2008 Saturn Astra. There was also a rattling from a cold start and so I started researching for what it could be. A short time later the check engine light went on and I took it in for service. They replaced a sensor and mentioned the plugs probably should be changed. I knew that was something I could do myself. Thanks for the detailed instructions and advice everyone. The acceleration returned after service but the rattling from a cold start persisted. It stops after the car warms up. To me it sounded like it was coming from the exhaust system. I'm hoping changing the plugs may help with the noise. The dealership couldn't offer any explanation for the noise. I saw a post from someone looking for pictures of worn plugs. These are my original plugs after 47,000 miles. I'll make sure to replace them again at around 25,000 miles.
Those plugs are actually not hurt bro. if you only got 47K on them, you could have gone longer on them. i would of kept my plugs in longer, but i wanted to see if the Denso's made a difference. Which plugs did you buy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #59
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Looking to do this job soon (at 28k now). Great tutorial--thanks for posting. Anyone know the correct torque to use for the plugs?

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #60
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

My plugs looked like those just pictured at about 22,000 miles. I have 53,000 miles now, and I'm going to do another spark plug change. Spark plugs are cheap, heck, they're cheaper than an oil filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!