SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Tire Pressure correct PSI

I am wondering all these stuff I've been reading and trying to figure the correct PSI. Does anyone have better results on this?

I used this site for tire setting and for one size on the Saturn it work but for another with Custom tires it's pretty high on PSI.

https://itstillruns.com/calculate-co...e-6825073.html

Step 1
Read the side of the tire.
Read the manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure on the side of the tire.
FUEL/OIL
GENERAL INFORMATION
MAINTENANCE
RADIATORS
CARE
TRANSMISSION
DMV
ELECTRICAL
ENGINES
ACCESSORIES/KEYS

How to Calculate Correct Tire Pressure
BY LINDA DONAHUE
Keeping the proper amount of air in your tires can improve your gas mileage as well as the longevity of your tires. Over-inflating can put additional stress on the tires, which can cause a blow out. All tires come with the manufacturer's maximum suggested tire pressure printed on the side of the tire. However, that is not necessarily the amount you should keep. Calculate the best tire pressure with some basic math.

Step 1
Read the side of the tire.
Read the manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure on the side of the tire.

Step 2
Checking the pressure.
Calculate 10 percent of this amount. If, for example, the maximum is 40 psi, then 10 percent of 40 is 4.

Step 2
Checking the pressure.
Calculate 10 percent of this amount. If, for example, the maximum is 40 psi, then 10 percent of 40 is 4.

Subtract 10%.
Subtract the 10 percent value from the maximum psi value. So, 40 - 4 = 36. Use 36 psi in your tires.

'02 L300 is 205/65R15 Tiger Paw uniroyal rated at 35psi Max

If I follow their calculation the psi comes out to be 32psi not bad

But for the '03 L300 with custom rim and tire are 205/65R16 nanaking rated at 51psi max. And using the same calculation they are saying 45.9spi.

As you can see this is far higher then the usual 32psi for a 35psi max tire. So is that how it suppose to be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Tire Pressure correct PSI

i believe the the sticker on the car is your friend. 205/65/16 isnt that different than stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Stock on my LW300 is 215/55/16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Decal for tire pressures is on the rear passenger door behind drivers door. It's not complicated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

my tire is 205/60R16 not what came standard. And those tire are max psi 51 not 35 as previous tires. That is why using the link the previous tire would be 31.5 while the 51psi comes out to be 45.9psi. Far higher then the 35psi tires rating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using recommended tire pressures from the door sticker tends to go by factory calculations according to maximum loads on a car. This takes into account ride comfort too. Maximum recommended pressures will also result in a harsher ride when the car is empty so a range of pressures are given. If you go by other recommendations because your tires are rated for pressures higher than the maximum recommended on your door sticker, you may be surprised at ride comfort. At 46 psi, expect a stiffer ride and harshness. At best, you'd be correct. If you try 46 psi, be aware of any changes in how the car handles in every weather condition. Be especially aware in rain, snow and ice. A stiffer sidewall from higher pressures can result in unusual handing if you're not prepared for what may be drastic handling changes.

True story

Someone at work decided to inflate his tires above factory maximum in the belief of increasing fuel economy by reducing rolling resistance (stiffer sidewall). Inflating tires at work, he went for a lunch run. As he approached a light turning green, he didn't let off throttle and turned left, immediately going into a drifting/skidded turn. He lost all traction from over inflated tires well above the factory recommendations. Luckily no one was near him when he lost traction. He never considered the consequences of over inflation just to eek out a few more miles per gallon on stiff tires. He believed his tires would have the same traction when the opposite occurred. He reduced pressures to a more reasonable level. We all heard about it and were rolling on the floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
my tire is 205/60R16 not what came standard. And those tire are max psi 51 not 35 as previous tires. That is why using the link the previous tire would be 31.5 while the 51psi comes out to be 45.9psi. Far higher then the 35psi tires rating.
This is what you get when you go off OEM. I can only suggest contacting the people who supplied and fitted the tires they sold you. It should not be a guessing game, certainly not with tires.

I read that first article you posted that talks about taking the max pressure and taking 10% off. What the heck is that all about? As I say that's a guessing game.

It appears you have moved from a lower/wider tire to a taller/skinnier tire. Not sure why? Whilst this link does not answer your tire pressure question, it does highlight how your car will behave differently with the tires you now have on.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r16-205-60r16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #8
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

FYI. The 03 Saturn L300 came as is when I bought it with those custom Rims and Tire size. So this is the reason and wasn't something I changed. And since I adjusted the psi to those calc it runs and feels more stable. Before when it was at 32psi I could feel it swaying left/right on ice even when driving at 40mph so I knew something was wrong and the braking took longer. Now at higher psi I can feel it grip more and braking is more stable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My '03 L300 have 215/55-16 tires and rims as stock. I've never felt more comfortable with the original Firestone block tread tires making noise as if the xmission gears were whining. I mistakingly drove faster in moderate rain without issues but was glad they wore out for a very quiet set of Michelins and Goodyears (both rain tires). Never had traction control issues with what may be considered fat tires on a four door sedan.

As long as you're fully aware of using pressures above the door sticker numbers and tire pressure recommendations that accompany the new tires and you've made careful assessments in every weather condition with higher pressures without issues, then your new tires seem to have a very different tire construction to have the ability for much higher pressures than stock tires. The tire size difference doesn't change anything as much as what may be different tire construction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My ex wife some years ago had a 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. Nice to look at but terrible reliability. When we bought the car it had the standard rims but the previous owner had installed lower profile tires than em spec. It was like driving with no suspension As soon as they were ready for replacing I went back to oem stock size and the comfort came back. I am not sure what the previous owner was trying to achieve.

I am no expert on rims and tires, but usually when someone installs custom rims which are a rim size large than stock, they install lower profile tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think I rented a Sebring convertible for business. Terrible body twist with the top down.

The trend of upscaling rim size and low aspect ratio tires is the "mine's bigger than yours" conceited egos of small men. When setup as original, my guess is suspension is configured into this otherwise Ferrari, Lamborghini and other high end cars wouldn't allow poor ride conditions with monied people. The same for American muscle cars with low profile tires as standard equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes. low profile tires always equals hard ride. I know that some vehicles do look good with bigger rim sizes as they 'fill' the wheel arch better, but some just look plain stupid.

Whilst you have these 'low riders' with mini rims favored by the hispanic drivers, you also get these sedans with lurid paint schemes and enormous rims and tires favored usually by the black american drivers. I have no clue why that is. These latter sedans are not modified on the bodies, just the paint jobs, but I have seen the Crown Vics and similar decked out and they must have like 30" rims with more ground clearance than my suburban. That said in thew town where I live there is one guy who drives a current model Cadillac Escalade but has modified it by lifting it and it runs on those monster truck tires. I cannot work out the logic of that at all! But its all whatever floats your boat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
....... one guy who drives a current model Cadillac Escalade but has modified it by lifting it and it runs on those monster truck tires. I cannot work out the logic of that at all! But its all whatever floats your boat.
Flashy doomsday prepper? Is your area prone to annual hurricane, periodic flash flooding with this lifted Escalade unafraid and able to drive over flooded areas or flees at the first sign of rain?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Flashy doomsday prepper? Is your area prone to annual hurricane, periodic flash flooding with this lifted Escalade unafraid and able to drive over flooded areas or flees at the first sign of rain?
Not a doomsday prepper. The Polk County area is a very 'red neck' county in Central Florida so lifted big tired pick up trucks are considered daily drivers to some here. We also have no inspections whatsoever in Florida, so Duct Tape reigns supreme as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
The trend of upscaling rim size and low aspect ratio tires is the "mine's bigger than yours" conceited egos of small men.
I'll let you into more FYI: this was his wife Saturn so this Stereotyping is something how men gets themselves into trouble.

Quote:
Sounds all good but vehicle not built for such terrain will falter in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
Not a doomsday prepper. The Polk County area is a very 'red neck' county in Central Florida so lifted big tired pick up trucks are considered daily drivers to some here. We also have no inspections whatsoever in Florida, so Duct Tape reigns supreme as well.
And the insurance will be sure to Hike the rate assuming they still have insurance when they find out. Once you change or mod from factory OEM your insurance have every right to Deny or Hike your insurance Rate. So let's not forget this. You want to change from OEM don't expect the rest of us to pay for your "red neck" country small mindset should the weather damage your ride. No Inspections but ask your Auto Insurance and they will give you a different answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I can not believe people are arguing over tire pressure. Lets keep civil people.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
I can not believe people are arguing over tire pressure. Lets keep civil people.
I don't think anyone is arguing over tire pressure now. I think Russet has been given all he needs. Now we simply have gone off topic.

Personally I have no objections to anyone who does whatever they want to their vehicle. As I said 'it's whatever floats your boat".

Maybe it's time to call a halt on posts on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #18
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's the problem asking about PSI and then we go off the rails on meaningless rants when the simple was PSI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L

Whenever I see a thread about motor oil, tires, or tire pressure I expect the replies to be very entertaining.

This thread did not disappoint.

2000 LS2

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #20
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
'02 L300 is 205/65R15 Tiger Paw uniroyal rated at 35psi Max
According to the Uniroyal website the maximum PSI for the tire described is 44 PSI. This being the case, there should be no trouble in following the factory recommended tire pressure for normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
Stock on my LW300 is 215/55/16
Assuming the above statement is correct, and based on information from Goodyear's website your tire and Russet's share the 51 PSI maximum. Now, since this is the case the tire information placard on your car, Russet, should reflect this and also provide proper guidance for the tire pressure.

Quote:
But for the '03 L300 with custom rim and tire are 205/65R16 nanaking rated at 51psi max.
Your statement in post #8 about having the tire inflated to 40 PSI is quite sensible.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote