SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2
Dizzy 05 Ion 1, manual trans issues

This is for a friend that recently moved away, now in UT.

This is what she sent me, any idea's?

I am an S-series guy, multiple swaps, and about 150k miles in 3 of them, so I am not very familiar with the Ions.

05 ion1 5 speed

Well....
It started after I got here.
Driving along fine and all of a suddrn it won't go into gear. Any gear.
If I turn the car off and take the key out it will go into gear. If I wait 30 seconds or so, it will usually start up and be ok for a while again. Short stretches are ok. It is after 10 minuets of driving, speeds up to 50mph, that this usually happens.
Sometimes I have to wait longer because it won't start in first and idles heavy and jumps (like when you release the break in gear).

The water temp gage in the car is about 1/4 or 1/2 up... so it is running a little hot?
It really also doesn't like when I turn the AC on.. and a loud thumping comes from my glove box if the �� button for circulation isn't pressed on.
So there is a fan problem there..... don't think it is related. ��
My poor saturn.. she's an oldie. But a goodie.��

Ryan

97 SL2 Mack Charcoal 5 speed, 238k miles, bought 11/18/15
98 SL2 Pearl White auto, 190k miles, 11/7/15 RIP
S-series Shop Manual: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177672

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Haybale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Haybale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 05 Ion 1, manual trans issues

How many miles on the Ion? As you know, a manual is a manual whether its high hp muscle car or the family SW wagon 5-speed. The only hint may be when the engine's off, shifting can occur but when the engine's running, shifting is difficult. This may indicate a worn out clutch. Another possibility may be worn out hydraulics; clutch master and slave unit.

Coolant temps between 1/4 and 1/2 are within range and doesn't indicate overheating contributing to this shifting problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
How many miles on the Ion? As you know, a manual is a manual whether its high hp muscle car or the family SW wagon 5-speed. The only hint may be when the engine's off, shifting can occur but when the engine's running, shifting is difficult. This may indicate a worn out clutch. Another possibility may be worn out hydraulics; clutch master and slave unit.

Coolant temps between 1/4 and 1/2 are within range and doesn't indicate overheating contributing to this shifting problem.
I understand and typical manual trans, but could not think of anything that I know about to cause her issues.

I didn't know if there was something electrical that could have crapped out, like a synchro or something.

Thanks

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Haybale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
Haybale

1997 SL2
2000 SW2
Dizzy Re: 05 Ion 1, manual trans issues

Quote:

Well what would stop it from being able to shift, then let is sit and cool down, then be able to shift again?

I have no clue what would cause that on any car?

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
Haybale

1997 SL2
2000 SW2

She said it had a P0520 code, would an oil pressure issue cause her shifting issues?

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personally, I do not know if P0520 (oil pressure issue) would prevent the manual xmission from operating. My guess is no. You have options; bring the car to a dealer, repair shop or subscribe to alldata.diy or Mitchell for online service manuals to figure it out if Ion members here can't offer any ideas, suggestions or definite answers. Some problems cannot be diagnosed with little info given.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Haybale

1997 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Personally, I do not know if P0520 (oil pressure issue) would prevent the manual xmission from operating. My guess is no. You have options; bring the car to a dealer, repair shop or subscribe to alldata.diy or Mitchell for online service manuals to figure it out if Ion members here can't offer any ideas, suggestions or definite answers. Some problems cannot be diagnosed with little info given.
Of course, I am in SoCal and she and the car are in UT.

Not expecting a complete fix, but an idea or 2 of what to look at.

My guess is either multiple issues that happened to show up at once, or some wires are cut or shorted out.

She already took it in and they were just as confused.

So the area to start to look at would be the wiring for the oil pressure sender.

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haybale View Post
She said it had a P0520 code, would an oil pressure issue cause her shifting issues?
No, oil pressure will not affect transmission operation. There are no electronic devices that would affect transmission operation.

I suspect bad clutch hydraulics or low transmission fluid level. That's really all it can be aside from a part inside the transmission being damaged.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haybale View Post
Of course, I am in SoCal and she and the car are in UT......She already took it in and they were just as confused.......
Unfortunately, this repair shop may be inexperienced. A one garage town can have either experienced or inexperienced people. A toss of a coin. If the car is driveable, perhaps trying another repair shop? A detailed description can help to determine if another shop is unable to sort out possible multiple problems. Good shops like challenges as it forces individuals to think beyond being a tire or gas pump jockey. The experts are out there. Maybe word of mouth referrals?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #10
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Clutch master cylinder is an extremely common issue with the ions. They last 40-50k if you're lucky.

Def a hydraulic issue. Its pointing to the clutch master just from skimming this post.

I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goaliemo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Tell her to check her pedal itself. The crappy clutch pedal in the Ion wears out against the cmc rod and you slowly lose clutch disengagement which can cause the above mentioned symptoms

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(FY1 swap), 178K
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
Haybale

1997 SL2
2000 SW2

Thanks all, just seemed odd.

I sent her a link to this thread.

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!