SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
Default Re: Mystery coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I just went through this: Coolant temp light kept coming on every couple of days. No coolant on the ground or anywhere else, BUT I could see that the reservoir was low each time. One day, immediately after parking, I open the hood and steam and coolant is coming out of the reservoir cap. However, it's evaporating almost immediately once it hits the outside surface of the reservoir (which is why I never saw any coolant wetness before). The underside of the cap had some little plastic bits broken and/or missing. I bought a new cap.....problem solved. I hope your problem is just as easily solved.
OH yah - I had to replace my reservoir cap too because it had disintegrated and was leaking. I didn't know it also functions as a very important pressure regulator (see other threads for more details). I would think it's pretty obvious if it's leaking around the reservoir, but it all depends. Definitely wouldn't see a leak there just by idling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #22
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

What I'd do is to look at the weep hole with the car running. Don't get caught in the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SatSl2 View Post
Hi everyone,

My 98 SL1 with ~160k miles has a mystery coolant leak.

About three weeks ago I noticed my coolant light on. Waited for the car to cool down, topped it off. Didn't think much about of it. Three days later, I checked and it was low. Three days later again, low. I've only seen one puddle of antifreeze so I know it is leaking and the oil is clean. And the puddle was weird. I pulled up to a driveway, person got out of my car, and then I was backing up and he waved me down. Got out and it was antifreeze.

Last weekend, I did a pressure test on the system. Could not make it leak. took the front passenger wheel off and the plastic to see if there was a leak from the water pump. When I was pressure testing it, I didn't see any other components leaking. I've looked everywhere for coolant. I didn't see any leaks, couldn't see a trail of coolant.

I'm just lost on what it could be. I can drive three days, and then on the third day it seems to just dump half the coolant.
Was the puddle on the passenger side of the car? My guess is that your water pump is leaking.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice

1998 SL1

I thank everyone who gave me some tips and leads to track down. I still couldn't pinpoint the leak until I took off the bottom three bolts of the water pump. Then I could see the little bit of coolant left in the engine trickle down to the same spot as the puddle.

So yes, the pump was leaking.

Again, thank you all.

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-06/14/11-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96k miles-115k (10/23/15)- 140k (4/9/18)
-06/12/14-current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
rodjr
rodjr is a jewel in the roughrodjr is a jewel in the roughrodjr is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Glad you solved your problem, I have a similar issue, I pulled plastic coolant box and capped off both hoses to see better, dried off all coolant, started car up and it is slinging so fast I cannot determine where its coming from. All the hoses look good and not leaking, where is the weep hole for the pump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rodjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rodjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #26
rodjr
rodjr is a jewel in the roughrodjr is a jewel in the roughrodjr is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Got it figured out, it was the water pump bearing leaking, even after removal did not see any weep hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rodjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rodjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote