SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
MichiganVue
MichiganVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Rattle in Engine Bay after Timing Belt Replacement

Hello all - I have a 2004 V6 Saturn Vue that I bought brand new. It has been a fantastic vehicle for us. I have been using it as our spare vehicle over the last 3 years and it mainly takes us to the gym and back. My son is getting ready to start driving and I'm getting the Vue up to as good of condition as I possibly can. This week, I took it to a well respected mechanic in our community and had them replace the timing belt, along with the water pump package. They told me that they also replaced the timing belt tensioner and pulley.

However, I now have a strange low-pitched rattle noise coming from that same area of the engine bay. You can hear it on a PC with speakers on my video here: https://youtu.be/cLqG_3T4akg

The speaker on my phone is too small to produce the low-end noise so you need to watch it on a PC.

Anyone have an idea of what this noise can be? My mechanic says they don't know, but I should bring it back in if it gets louder. Well, it's pretty dang loud. Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichiganVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichiganVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichiganVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Rattle in Engine Bay after Timing Belt Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganVue View Post
My mechanic says they don't know, but I should bring it back in if it gets louder. Well, it's pretty dang loud. Thanks for your help!
Serpentine belt tensioner pulley? Alternator? I'd take the belt off temporarily and start it up to check if the noise is still there. If it is, probably some part in the timing kit. What brand was used?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Chaddc
Chaddc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Hey MichiganVue, did you ever figure out what was making that sound? I watched your YouTube video and I have the exact issue with my vue after a timingbelt/waterpump job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaddc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaddc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

If I remember correctly, the valves need to be adjusted after a belt swap. And if it wasn't done properly, you could hear clatter from there.
Does it at all quiet down as the engine warms up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
jesquivel
jesquivel is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2008 VUE 3.6L

I have the same issue, tho the noise is intermittent....my water pump and timing belt was changed over a year ago, them the noise started happening a month ago or so, and it's gotten pretty loud...but it can happen with engine warm or cold....I started thinking it was crank knock....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jesquivel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jesquivel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jesquivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
If I remember correctly, the valves need to be adjusted after a belt swap. And if it wasn't done properly, you could hear clatter from there.
Does it at all quiet down as the engine warms up?
You do not need to adjust the valves when you do the timing belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote