SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
Cmarie3387
Cmarie3387 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Please help need to identify a part

I have a 2002 Saturn l300 sedan 6 cylinder. I need to identify a part the name and what it does. It broke and need it replaced but can稚 seem to find it online. Any help is greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 35E94800-A2CA-47C5-B2D4-2F90112B4A96.jpeg (98.0 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmarie3387's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmarie3387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmarie3387 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Please help need to identify a part

That is a filter in your vacuum brake booster vacuum supply line. Probably a wrecking yard or dealer part.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Found this old thread (2013) on exactly the same issue. The poster had exactly the same problem 6 years ago sourcing a replacement part as well.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195326

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Cmarie3387

Question Re: Please help need to identify a part

I can稚 seem to find this part anywhere online....I have been calling junkyards your see if I can find the part that way but the junkyards have no Saturns at all!
I知 not sure where I can go? Can anyone please help me find this part!? Photo attached.
I知 trying to find it at a reasonable price, any help is greatly appreciated! I need this car on the road ASAP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cmarie3387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarie3387 View Post
I can稚 seem to find this part anywhere online....I have been calling junkyards your see if I can find the part that way but the junkyards have no Saturns at all!
I知 not sure where I can go? Can anyone please help me find this part!? Photo attached.
I知 trying to find it at a reasonable price, any help is greatly appreciated! I need this car on the road ASAP.
FYI, this isn't a parts request site. This is a Saturn fans user help site. So let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We help when we can and sorry about your situation but help comes when others can help. So what prices have you found for it? That way others can figure how to help more. And where are you at this would also help those reading from those locations to do more to help.

But also don't Duplicate post the same problem that is a pet peeve that annoys those trying to help and confuses the problem more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is a Universal Check Valve. This may work

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7149/5707110-p

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This was my repair. I couldn't find Saturn replacements a few years ago. The nylon vacuum lines are hard and crack if handled. Nylon lines are heated during factory assembly to make them pliable before placing onto fittings and shrink to seal. The only way to remove them is either heating them or slitting them at the fittings. They're hard and do not lend themselves to softening from heat after so many years of hardening from exposure to underhood temperatures.

If I'm not mistaken, the Dorman vacuum check valve fits the brake boost unit grommet for a perfect seal (3/4"?). The fitting is 3/8"?. The Dorman right angle vacuum hose is 3/8" on both ends. A small length of 3/8" rubber hose fits into the plastic coupler on the Dorman hose. The other end fits onto the 3/8" barbed brass fitting on the intake manifold. A small stainless hose clamp fits over the hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2167.jpg (124.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2168.jpg (123.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 11-07-2019 at 02:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In my research on this, there was a Dorman right angle valve and also the one I highlighted in my earlier post which is an inline check val;ave same as that on the L series.

I think the poster just has to do what most of have to do and research online. They are out there, just gotta know where to find em.

It is frustrating as the Saturns get older and parts availability dries up. Because the L series was such a small seller in the US, there is very little in the way of aftermarket parts available as there is little financial incentive for after market parts suppliers to produce products for such a small market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Cmarie3387

I知 a bit confused I知 sorry could you explain better? What parts did you use to fix this issue as I知 having an extremely difficult time finding this part as well.
Can you send links of the parts I値l need to order to fix this issue?
Was this fix a temporary fix or did it last along time?
I have a 10 month old driving back and forth to ny to Connecticut weekly so I need a safe option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
Cmarie3387

Okay I just read the last post. I have been doing extensive research online and I知 coming up with zero. The only thing I saw was from your link of the check valve that is universal my only question is will that fit with the hoses on my 2002 l300? I called autozone advanced auto no one has it in the stores...I just want something that will replace my broken one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a link to O'Reillys. They are showing the items

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q...vo+check+valve

There is a right angle Dorman check valve shown which poster DFryer said he had used on his L300. The universal ones that look like yours are 'inline'.

If you are unsure as to how to do this repair yourself, then all I can suggest is to contact a mechanic or someone who can fix it for you.

With cars that have been out of production for some years and OEM parts are no longer available, you can either rely on aftermarket specific or universal or simply get creative. Mr Fryer has already stated how he fixed his.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Cmarie3387

floridasl22002 My boyfriend can fix my car but understanding now it is difficult to find parts for the Saturns as they are not in business anymore. I will reread his post but did check oreilys auto parts would be nice if I can find the whole assembly with the hoses as he can screw it in without heating it up to weld it together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Car manufacturers are required to maintain parts for outgoing models for 10 years after they stopped making the vehicle. The last year for the L series was 2005 BUT you have to also remember that Saturn as a company shut down altogether in 2008. So NO Saturn parts were were produced after 2008 for any Saturn vehicle.

That said, if you have a popular vehicle like say the Mustang, there will always be an after market for those cars, so other parts suppliers continue to make parts for these older models. The L series never sold in large quantities in the US and it will never be a classic collectible car. So you will end up at a point where certain parts will just not be available anymore and in that case you have to be creative in order to keep the car on the road.

Junk yards are great places for spares and I have used them a lot for parts for my son's 2003 L300, BUT plastic parts will always be problematical as plastic gets brittle with age, so although a JY car might have a specific plastic part, chances are that it will be brittle and likely break apart as you try to remove it in the JY. The black applique trim around the door windows is one such part. They are like hens teeth to get hold of. Trim is usually one of the first areas where spare parts become almost impossible to get.

The best advice I could offer is for your boyfriend to take the car to one of the auto stores that has these universal check valves in stock and physically see if the part will fit. That' the best advice I can give.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cmarie3387, there are many things that cannot be found online where it requires visiting a store or mechanic repair shop or GM. With discontinued parts, I searched for the same original part and nothing was found online. Autozone is the place I went to for the vacuum check valve to fit into the rubber grommet on the brake boost unit (snapshot). The right angle vacuum hose and rubber extension hose are generic Dorman parts that fit. I removed the check valve from my car to find a replacement as the nylon hose and plastic valve are so brittle that heat will not soften nylon to reuse the valve. I brought the valve into Autozone, selected the Dorman replacement, sized the right angle vacuum line to connect to it and bought a length of rubber hose to extend to the intake manifold port. All fitted together by pushing hoses onto fittings. It's more difficult to describe in exact details but anyone willing to make diy repairs must be prepared to make calculations on dimensions and fitment. In my case, this is a custom fitted repair to restore power assisted braking. Either have someone do this as a diy repair or pay a repair shop.

Things break at the most inopportune moment. This is just a broken piece that needs repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote