SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
BaristAura
BaristAura is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE
Default CRAB Intake for the Saturn Aura

As some of you may know there is a user on the g6performance forum named Lampoon who has created a Cold Air Box (CAB) for the G6. This is a heat shield for your intake designed to lower the air temperature around the filter. I met with Lampoon to measure out a heat shield for the 3.6L Aura and now I have it installed! For more information you can visit his website at www.crabintakes.com or look through the www.g6performance.com forum. I purchased Option 3 which comes with the CAB, coupler and k&n cone filter. I also got the FPU which is less restrictive than the stock front pipe. The CAB mounts using two points which I will show in the pictures. I am very happy with the looks and sound that it provides. I feel like my car accelerates quicker but I can not prove that to you. Also, if you can't tell from the pictures I removed my intake resonator already. Here are some pictures. Let me know if you guys have questions.

Here you can see the nice mandrel bends in the upgraded front pipe

Here are both mounting locations one on the left and one on the right.
You can also see where I had to turn a mount for the ac line and now it sits against the CAB, if you wanted you could drill a hole in the CAB for a third mounting point using that bracket but it's really sturdy as is.

This hole is where the ac bracket was before I pulled it up and turned it.

Another look at the rear mounting point

See how restrictive the stock piping is right at the intake and also the sharp 45 degree bends

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BaristAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BaristAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BaristAura is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
98TransAm
98TransAm is on a distinguished road

Default Re: CRAB Intake for the Saturn Aura

Nice! I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while now. I might try to make my own though with PVC pipe and silicone couplers. I know you can also buy aluminum mandrel bent piping. Anything has to be better than stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98TransAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98TransAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
CrazyAmazing
CrazyAmazing is on a distinguished road

I've also always wanted something like this, I was hoping there would be a simple drop-in product but then again, where's the fun in that?

This is really awesome though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyAmazing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
BaristAura

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Well I'm not sure what your definition of "drop in" is but installing the whole thing took me about 45 minutes. If you were getting just the CAB it would probably take around 20. K&N does make a drop in air filter that fits the stock air box if that's what your looking for. Anyways, I'm glad you liked it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BaristAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
CrazyAmazing
CrazyAmazing is on a distinguished road

I've always had trouble finding an intake for the Saturn Aura (granted I didn't look extensively), and I've seen a few guides about retrofitting some or fiddling with this and that to make it work.

I'm all for replacing a few parts and moving some things around but I'm not interested in fiddling with engine parts or drilling out new holes to mount things. Until now I've never found one that would more or less go right on without much trouble (I've done a few basic car repairs but I didn't know how to find one that was compatible).

I actually have the K&N air filter. My favorite part about it is that every time they try to tell me my "air filter is dirty and needs replacing" when I get my oil changed I know they didn't even look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyAmazing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
the85darkknight
the85darkknight is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have purchased an intake of off eBay, and it did fit. It is listed for the G6/Aura, but it does work. When you also delete the resonator bong, the sound of the intake is pleasant. See the following thread for the intake:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191430

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the85darkknight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the85darkknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
BaristAura

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAmazing View Post
I'm all for replacing a few parts and moving some things around but I'm not interested in fiddling with engine parts or drilling out new holes to mount things. Until now I've never found one that would more or less go right on without much trouble (I've done a few basic car repairs but I didn't know how to find one that was compatible).

I actually have the K&N air filter. My favorite part about it is that every time they try to tell me my "air filter is dirty and needs replacing" when I get my oil changed I know they didn't even look at it.
I understand what you're saying. I should mention for others viewing this thread that this did not require any drilling. The two mounting locations I showed are already on the car. I did show in one picture where you could drill for a third mounting point but I didn't feel that it was necessary because the cold air box is a really tight fit.

I also had the drop in K&N filter and so far my mileage seems the same with the new cone filter. I do however notice a little more oomph in the higher end rpms and definitely a lot more sound when compared to stock air box and resonator delete. I think that I will get even more out of it when I get a WAMS tune which was made with the CRABS intake in mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2019, 02:13 AM   #8
BaristAura

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

This kit is now for sale. Please see my For Sale thread for details.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!