SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Rina
Rina is on a distinguished road

Default Lower left sub frame rust

I need some solid advice from my fellow Saturn lovers!

I have a 2001 S-Series, and have had it for 16 years. I failed inspection for a rusted sub frame. It's only about two inches and the rusted 'through' is about the size of a pinky. I took it to a rust repair shop and they said I can have the piece taken out and a new piece welded for $600. I was a little nervous about this and did some research. After calling around I took it to a regular mechanic who said I would have to change the frame- with a used engine cradle $550- and he says total it will be $1100.00, with an extra $200 IF the bolts are seized.

I was laid off a month ago. I have a job lined up, but I haven't started yet- needless to say this is not a good time for this.

I got the whole 'Your car is too old and may not be worth it' speech, which I have been hearing for the past ten years. If I had listened to that I would be driving a crappy Hyundai. This car is in perfect shape, minus the patch of aforementioned rust.

My question is- Do I take the chance and do the repair, or do I go all in and replace the frame?
If I do the repair and it's shoddy work, I will have to replace the frame down the road.
As a side note, I am female and a lot of mechanics will try to take advantage of my assumed lack of knowledge.
Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rina's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rina reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links