SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Default Re: "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

Quote:
Lets face it. How often do we really run at WOT?
Every single day. I don't go WOT until it's warmed up, but after that, it's the best way to get up to speed when you need to.

Let's face it, you have NO IDEA about cars.

Blowing up your daily driver by running at wide open throttle? LOL

Also, don't take my quote out of context. I'm talking about resistors that act like the air is colder than it is. That's just retarded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 AM   #22
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

yeah i usually have my car at WOT for most of the driving once its warmed up, too. at least during acceleration.

my license? backed up with the expensive Cobra radar detector in the top right hand side of my windshield, hardwired, power cord run through the passenger side a-pillar. that thing has gotten me out of many a ticket, paid for itself. i would never drive another car without one for more then a short distance...

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #23
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Once my car is warmed up, if I'm out in the country where I live, WOT is where it's at. Sure, I end out shifting from 3rd to 5th when I hit the speed limit, but it's fun. Getting on the freeway, nothing is better than going up the on ramp at WOT and be at 70 halfway up the ramp.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #24
Moist
Moist is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2sleeper View Post
Ok first things first here I donít want to be the one to burst your bubble but you have one problem for your so call performance gains and that is to swap out your auto tragic trans too a 5speed.

Does your car do this? http://www.turbosaturns.net/video/ridealong.mpg
Just after the first shift as the trans is moving into the next gear?
Is this a slip or is it just the trans clutch packs moving too the next gear?
I do recall in some of the cars I have owned if I held my foot down further the trans would hold a little bit longer before shifting into the next gear.

I do plan on doing the trans swap...hopefully this summer. Yes the A/T does have the weird slip thing happeneing, but I'm not sure why it does it. Do you know why? If so please let me know.

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #25
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moist View Post
I do plan on doing the trans swap...hopefully this summer. Yes the A/T does have the weird slip thing happeneing, but I'm not sure why it does it. Do you know why? If so please let me know.
That has to be the standard way the clutch packs shift from gear too gear in the autos when they are being pushed.
Oh yeah like others have said only AFTER the car is warmed up is there any play with WOT.

ER OUT

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #26
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

NOw here is where I have to disagree with some of you here. There is nothing wrong with the automatic trans here. And it has NOTHING to do with A/F ratio and power delivered due to A/F ratio.
I beat the clone like a red-headed step child when it's warmed up! That SOHC has endured 180K miles of HEAVY right foot action. And now that is has a twin cam I FLOG that car BADLY! The 1.9 enignes are hard to kill. The transmissions aren't. The diff pins will go flying when beaten. I know my SC2 with the auto is faster than the clone with the MP2 in it. From the same starting point I can hit a faster speed before I have to brake for a nasty turn near my house.
ENough of the manual transmision eleitists!
Either trans you use. WOT feels fun and sounds mean! I like to be able to hit 90 in 3rd gear. Should I , NO. DO I , yes. WOT won't kill our engines. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. I ahve NEVER owned any small car that has been so reliable yet still fun to drive. I have changed MANY people's minds about saturn after they have ridden in my cars.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #27
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
NOw here is where I have to disagree with some of you here. There is nothing wrong with the automatic trans here. And it has NOTHING to do with A/F ratio and power delivered due to A/F ratio.
I beat the clone like a red-headed step child when it's warmed up! That SOHC has endured 180K miles of HEAVY right foot action. And now that is has a twin cam I FLOG that car BADLY! The 1.9 enignes are hard to kill. The transmissions aren't. The diff pins will go flying when beaten. I know my SC2 with the auto is faster than the clone with the MP2 in it. From the same starting point I can hit a faster speed before I have to brake for a nasty turn near my house.
Either trans you use. WOT feels fun and sounds mean! I like to be able to hit 90 in 3rd gear. Should I , NO. DO I , yes. WOT won't kill our engines. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. I ahve NEVER owned any small car that has been so reliable yet still fun to drive. I have changed MANY people's minds about saturn after they have ridden in my cars.
I'm sorry, but the Saturn S-Series automatic transmission equipped car will be slower than a similiarly equipped manual transmission.

I know from experience. My buddy has a 95 SL2 with an auto. He's also got a 92 header, 2.25" exhaust, and a wai. I've got a 99 SL2 with a manual and that's it. From a stop or a 25mph roll, I win each time. He converted to manual slightly after and now his car will beat mine.

Also, the automatic transmission ****s out earlier than a manual transmission when you try to apply power to it (more than 175whp).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moist View Post
Lets face it. How often do we really run at WOT?
every morning on the way to work and every evening on the way home. more often on weekends in parking lots, airport runways and on road courses.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #29
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When gas prices are lower than they had been...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #30
Moist
Moist is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
Just out of curiosity...does your A/T have the same weird slip that SL2Sleeper mentioned?

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #31
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

No odd slip. Just the engagement of the torque converter locking up in 2n then switching to 3rd. Same with my GFs 92sl2. I put a late 93 (vinned and sold as 94) auto in her car. Slammed gears 1st day then smoothed out. Shiftes fine. NO abnormal lag or slip in any saturn auto I have driven.
I don't doubt the manual is quicker than the auto. I'm just saying the auto works fine from what I have seen. Sure all autos have issues but the TAAT is FAR better than ANYthing ford hes ever made or ANY auto they put in ANY year accord.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #32
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

1st putting the filter right next to your tb is totally screwing up your torc curve. If that made the car faster thats how K&N would sell their kit. ALso these cars need to be at WOT occasonally because of the carbon build up in the intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote