SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Moist
Moist is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Wrench "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

I was going to call this thread "Swiss Cheese Anyone?" but I like Gandolf's line better. Over the winter I put a K&N air box filter in. I've really been wanting to put a short ram CAI on for a while now but have been short of funds and was having a hard time with the idea of just throwing out a $35 air filter... So I got creative and pulled out my air box today and drilled 14 2" holes in it with a hole saw. So with the snorkel hole makes that 15 holes in my air box. It looks like swiss cheese. But man what a difference in throttle response! I think I'll call it "The Poor Man's CAI"! I'll take a pick and post it when they finally get the photo section up and running.

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

a poor mans WAI is just what i did to my father car.... take the box out and slap a cone filter in its place.

you should really move the air intake temp sensor somewhere else further down the line...
this way it can get an accurate reading...

what you did is ok as long as you dont tell anyone else about it or show it to them...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
cssprophet
cssprophet is on a distinguished road

Where'd you cut the holes? Got any pics?

You could add this to the Redneck thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cssprophet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cssprophet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cssprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

It's warm air indeed but more of it. Did the same thing on a friends Ranger. It did help some.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Wrench Re: "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

instead of fooling around with the air box, remove it entirely and clamp a K&N filter on the throttle body this is not my car but here's a photo

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

that looks ghetto fabulous!
Extra short ram!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Moist

1995 SC2
Happy Re: "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssprophet View Post

The holes are on all 4 sides and the bottom. The sensor is mounted at the top of the box, just below the filter. It has a Redline Power Chip on it so it's going to read cold air all the time. (Making the F/A mix closer to the 13:1 we want for the most HP.) I'll add picks when they get that part of this site working.

There is a fine line between genious and insanity. I don't see where "Redneck" fits in this at all. It works great and I'm still using the K&N ($35) box filter I started with.

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moist View Post
The holes are on all 4 sides and the bottom. The sensor is mounted at the top of the box, just below the filter. It has a Redline Power Chip on it so it's going to read cold air all the time. (Making the F/A mix closer to the 13:1 we want for the most HP.) I'll add picks when they get that part of this site working.

There is a fine line between genious and insanity. I don't see where "Redneck" fits in this at all. It works great and I'm still using the K&N ($35) box filter I started with.
BWAAHAHAHAHAH

You can't just "trick" the computer. When it thinks it's cooler air, it will add more fuel, meaning even RICHER than we already run. So you'll be going FURTHER away from 13:1.

The "chip" is just a resistor. The only good way to get better a/fs is to buy a piggyback (SAFC) or standalone to tune with.

Also, there is no genius involved in cutting holes into a factory intake. That's like the civics who cut holes in their mufflers to make them louder..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad1ysp0rk View Post
BWAAHAHAHAHAH

You can't just "trick" the computer. When it thinks it's cooler air, it will add more fuel, meaning even RICHER than we already run. So you'll be going FURTHER away from 13:1.

The "chip" is just a resistor. The only good way to get better a/fs is to buy a piggyback (SAFC) or standalone to tune with.

Also, there is no genius involved in cutting holes into a factory intake. That's like the civics who cut holes in their mufflers to make them louder..
LMFAO i was thinking the same thing. If you REALLY want to be cheap, get a resistor that makes the computer think its taking in 200 degree air.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
instead of fooling around with the air box, remove it entirely and clamp a K&N filter on the throttle body this is not my car but here's a photo
lmao my friend did that on his saturn. It sounded beast.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2 View Post
lmao my friend did that on his saturn. It sounded beast.
I did it on my 92 SC once and the throttle response was amazing. I'm thinking about getting another one for my 02 SC2 and see how it compares on a dyno to the AEM SRS on it now.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Moist

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssprophet View Post

Here is the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheese-box1.jpg (19.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg cheese-box2.jpg (33.7 KB, 92 views)

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

pwnd. Swiss cheese FTW.

When I fed my cold air tube in through the resonator hole, I left the IAT sensor in the stock location. That way, the PCM thinks the air is warmer than it is, so in theory I run a little lean.

LOL I just realized you're from WI also. Welcome to the small but growing enclave of cheesehead Saturnfans.

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

BEAST! LOL!!! Haven't heard that since (get) high school. (I didn't but the rest did).
I ran a car with no intake assembly for a mile down the road and it had no tone at all.
SO you say it had great throttle response with the filter right at the TB?
ALso moving the AIT right near the TB is best for more accurate AI temps that the engine will actually see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Moist

1995 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: "Breath the Free Air Again My Freind"

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad1ysp0rk View Post
BWAAHAHAHAHAH

Just a clarification here... 13:1 = 13 parts air to 1 part fuel. The an unmodified Saturn engine attempts to maintain a 14.7:1 ratio. We are looking for a RICHER NOT LEANER mixture. You don't have to take my word for it... read it for yourself...http://www.spswebpage.com/tech/index...=fuel_delivery

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Just a clarification here... 13:1 = 13 parts air to 1 part fuel. The an unmodified Saturn engine attempts to maintain a 14.7:1 ratio. We are looking for a RICHER NOT LEANER mixture. You don't have to take my word for it... read it for yourself...http://www.spswebpage.com/tech/index...=fuel_delivery
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. The Saturn 1.9 engine runs ungodly rich under WOT, so you WOULD want to LEAN out the mixture to get closer to 13:1...

How about you actually READ the article you just linked to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS Fuel Article
In most cases, open-loop operation will deliver unusually large amounts of fuel – often resulting in mixtures richer than 12.0:1 on a stock motor. This not only ensures adequate fuel supplies, but it keeps piston and cylinder temperatures lower which will lessen the likelihood of detonation and engine damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Monkius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Monkius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I can back up Monkius here. The saturn engine does go WAY rich at WOT. I have heard of people gaining power leaning it out between 13 and 13.5 to 1.
ANy richer that it is and you would wash the cylinders and probably foul the plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #18
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
I can back up Monkius here.
Hell, even Moist's backup backs me up, BAHAHAHAHA.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Monkius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Monkius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #19
Moist

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
I can back up Monkius here. The saturn engine does go WAY rich at WOT. I have heard of people gaining power leaning it out between 13 and 13.5 to 1.
ANy richer that it is and you would wash the cylinders and probably foul the plugs.
Lets face it. How often do we really run at WOT? Personally, I like my license. So unless you have the option of going to the track and can afford to blow up your DD... increasing the throttle response (which I have) and eliminating the momentary hesitation just after a gear shift (which I have) and increasing the acceleration rate at 3/4 throttle when my A/T down shifts while entering the freeway and during passing etc (which I have) making my engine breath freer (which I can clearly hear) the statement of "you can't trick the computer" doesn't hold water. I don't have a dyno in my garage so I can't post hard data to confirm it, but I know my car and I had it confirmed by letting someone else drive it (who doesn't even like Saturns and is in competition with me over performance mods). I have read (several times) all the tech notes on the SPS site. I wouldn't post it if I wasn't absolutely sure. Believe what you want...that's your perogitive...meanwhile I'm going to go enjoy my new found performance increase. Have a nice day.

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Lets face it. How often do we really run at WOT? Personally, I like my license. So unless you have the option of going to the track and can afford to blow up your DD... increasing the throttle response (which I have) and eliminating the momentary hesitation just after a gear shift (which I have) and increasing the acceleration rate at 3/4 throttle when my A/T down shifts while entering the freeway and during passing etc (which I have) making my engine breath freer (which I can clearly hear) the statement of "you can't trick the computer" doesn't hold water. I don't have a dyno in my garage so I can't post hard data to confirm it, but I know my car and I had it confirmed by letting someone else drive it (who doesn't even like Saturns and is in competition with me over performance mods). I have read (several times) all the tech notes on the SPS site. I wouldn't post it if I wasn't absolutely sure. Believe what you want...that's your perogitive...meanwhile I'm going to go enjoy my new found performance increase. Have a nice day.
Ok first things first here I don’t want to be the one to burst your bubble but you have one problem for your so call performance gains and that is to swap out your auto tragic trans too a 5speed.

Secondly I enjoy running my car at WOT daily 1. Because I like it and 2. Because I can.
Most of the time when i enter an on ramp for the highway i will run up close too the rev limit while at WOT.
Does your car do this? http://www.turbosaturns.net/video/ridealong.mpg
Just after the first shift as the trans is moving into the next gear?
Is this a slip or is it just the trans clutch packs moving too the next gear?
I do recall in some of the cars I have owned if I held my foot down further the trans would hold a little bit longer before shifting into the next gear.

Thirdly the butt dyno is a wonderful thing for some of those fancy sparkplugs one might think are doing something but aren’t. What I am saying is that without solid proof here via a dyno sheet to show people they aren’t going to take someone’s word over solid proof.
The talk on what does what is just going to get smacked down without solid proof via dyno runs on the same car with the same mods less the different intakes.

ER OUT

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote