SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
AMCer
AMCer is on a distinguished road

Default Oil in coolant (head gasket?)

1995 SL1 4banger SOHC-

Symptoms:

1) Losing oil somewhere, no oil spots on the ground.
2) Coolant is loaded with oil (it's a grey greasy mess).
3) No coolant seems to be in the oil!

I thought it was a head gasket, now I'm not so sure...

I can't figure out why I don't see coolant in the oil.

What am I missing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AMCer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AMCer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Oil in coolant (head gasket?)

From what you have posted, it appears it is a head gasket.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Head gaskets are pretty solid on these engines, I'm told. Most probably - cracked head. There are quite a few threads on SOHC cracked heads. Good luck, that 95 head might be hard to find. There are also threads on tapping the extra hole you need, in other year heads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well there's hope. Bigdaddy thinks headgasket. Head has to come off any way. The classic crack is between third & fourth cyl. When the head is cleaned up, it's hard to miss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

i second that. i had a 95 sc1 with the same problem. it too was a crak in the head. from what im told, its a pretty common problem in the 95's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

My nickle is on a cracked head too. While a bad head gasket can cause it usually it is a head problem because even if the gasket is indeed bad, they just do not fail for no reason. Usually it is from some form of head warpage the changes the preload pressure on gasket and allows it to fail. What this means if it does in fact turn out to be the head gasket, you want to have the head and deck checked for straightness and trued if need be and not just slap another gasket in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
sw2 1995
sw2 1995 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCer View Post
1995 SL1 4banger SOHC-

Symptoms:

1) Losing oil somewhere, no oil spots on the ground.
2) Coolant is loaded with oil (it's a grey greasy mess).
3) No coolant seems to be in the oil!

I thought it was a head gasket, now I'm not so sure...

I can't figure out why I don't see coolant in the oil.

What am I missing?
oil in the coolant ,but not coolant in the oil , small head gasket leak, clean out the coolant over flow ,drain anti freez ,re fill, and try some bars leak powder ,not liquid, add the bars leak through the radiatior upper house, , this should stop the leak from getting worse , other wise go to the mechanic and pay big bucks,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sw2 1995's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sw2 1995 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sw2 1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2 1995 View Post
oil in the coolant ,but not coolant in the oil , small head gasket leak, clean out the coolant over flow ,drain anti freez ,re fill, and try some bars leak powder ,not liquid, add the bars leak through the radiatior upper house, , this should stop the leak from getting worse , other wise go to the mechanic and pay big bucks,
Please do not pay any attention to this borderline criminal response. It is completely worthless information, even if your problem was a bad head gasket, ar's leaks will not fix the problem, but will only compound it by clogging your radiator, your heater core, and just about every other vital part of your cooling system. I'm sorry to say you have a cracked head, I am 100% sure of it. Time to start looking for a new head, or decide wether the car is worth it to you to have it fixed professionally. Nothing you couldn't do on your own in a weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1 with oil in the coolant 99.99999999% chance that it is a cracked head.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If you do find it's a cracked head and I think you will, the is a place that sells refurbished ones on ebay called Clearwater Cylinder Heads. They also have their own page. Several people on this forum have had good experiences dealing with them.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
AMCer
AMCer is on a distinguished road

I was afraid you guys were going to say cracked head...

I'm pulling it today and should know for sure within a few hours. I'll post the news. (and pics)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AMCer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AMCer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Had oil in the coolant of my 99. CHnaged the cooland and haven't seen any back in there for over 70k miles. GuessI have been lucky.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
Bigdaddy94sc2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
From what you have posted, it appears it is a head gasket.
After actually reading what I was posting too, I have no idea how I said Head gasket. I think my wife may have been talking to me while I was typing, and I typed what I was reading instead of what I wanted to say.

If oil is in the coolant jug but there isnt coolant in the oil, I almost guarantee it is a cracked head. My bad for passing off bad info. I blame my wife. Now if you tell her, I will never speak to you again!

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Sometimes you can see the crack in the head, simply by removing the cam cover. Somewhere in our galleries, there's a photo of such a crack, with wee drops of coolant pushing their way thru the crack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
saturnhouse
Advanced Member
saturnhouse will become famous soon enough

Yup, pull the valve cover. Then look at the front side of the first journal near the driver's side of the head. That's where most of the cracks are. That's where mine was.

If you're going to fix this, its a good time opportunity to replace the timing chain and, if your're using a lot of oil, maybe the rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #16
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My bad for passing off bad info. I blame my wife. Now if you tell her, I will never speak to you again!
OOOOH bad bad tech. No one will have to tell your wife. She WILL find out and then you will be in a less comfortable living hell than you already are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #17
Bigdaddy94sc2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
OOOOH bad bad tech. No one will have to tell your wife. She WILL find out and then you will be in a less comfortable living hell than you already are.
Shhhhhhhhhh! She sits right next to me.... If she finds out, I now hold you accountable for the wrath I will have to endure.... You evil, evil man!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #18
ssicarman

Quote:
Shhhhhhhhhh! She sits right next to me.... If she finds out, I now hold you accountable for the wrath I will have to endure.... You evil, evil man!
Oh no you don't; your wife your wrath.

You just picked the wrong blamee (is that a word?). In the future remeber that it was the stupid dog/cat/ferret/goldfish/potbellied pig/hedgehog/iguana/budgie/small child or imaginary friend of your own choosing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 AM   #19
Bigdaddy94sc2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Oh no you don't; your wife your wrath.

You just picked the wrong blamee (is that a word?). In the future remeber that it was the stupid dog/cat/ferret/goldfish/potbellied pig/hedgehog/iguana/budgie/small child or imaginary friend of your own choosing.
I see you have been married a while...

I am learning. Have learned alot in the past 8 years, but sooooo much left to learn!!!!! One day, one day I keep telling myself. Life is good, but women, especially wives, are tricky!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
jerry dye
jerry dye is on a distinguished road

don't matter if we tell her or not, she's probably like my wife, and will check the history when you head out the door. 20 plus years marriage = learning to delete history!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerry dye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerry dye is offline   Reply With Quote