SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Red Sc2
Red Sc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Help Help Help Pleeeeeeease!!!!!

Listen, I bought a '95 SC2 2 months ago. I already spent $750 in mechanic bills bcuz of BULL$!!t. Now I have a new problem!!......................................

There's a horrible GRINDING noise coming from the front right side!!!!!!

-It used to only be when i made a SHARP left turn while giving it gas...

-Then it was when I hit a bump as well

-Then, giving it harsh gas got added to the list

-Then, any degree of a turn while giving it gas made the noise

-Then today... I come out of work,
EVEN A RIGHT TURN MAKES THE NOISE, EVEN GOING STRAIGHT, AND EVEN MAKING A TURN WITHOUT GIVING IT GAS!!!!!!

----- Also, It seems as though when the car has sat outside in the cold for a while (1-12 HRS), and i start driving it, it sounds and feels sooo horrible, but when iv'e been driving it for about 20 mins, the noise somewhat simmers to where I only hear it when I make the sharp turns again... Almost like when it gets warm or hot enough it remedies it

**I know I stated that I only bought the car 2 months ago, but this problem only started 2 weeks ago, and it's already come this far!!**

I mean, GRINDING that you can hear from outside the car and you can feel through the dash!!!! WTF?????????????????????????????????????? PLEASE HELP!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Last edited by Red Sc2; 01-28-2007 at 01:06 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red Sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red Sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Help Help Help Pleeeeeeease!!!!!

My guess is upper strut mount bearings or wheel bearings.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
That would also be my guess, but then again, it is only a guess. :-) Oh my guess would be wheel bearings because we had a 98TL and the rear right one was going bad, it was awful. the grinding sound, the vibs...

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

Last edited by 1994Saturn; 01-28-2007 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: ToO AdD MoRe InFo....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Sir Trews
Sir Trews is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Anybody thought about the CV'S? Had an 89 Dodge Colt (ex-wifes) that did exactly that.... check those boots.. if they're cracked, good chance there is no lube left in them and they're done.
'Specially with your description of how it started in turns one way, then both and now under power at all.

<=== Just a Hotrod... with good ponies!
My SL2..She's hurtin'. Pretty bad. No pic.
All GM stable here... '71, and '89, both long beds...
*Hugs* Saturn Maniac! Glad you're still here! ;*)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Trews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Trews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Trews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Sir Trews... You are very helpful-(I guess I should have stated that my mechanic said it sounded like the CV AXLE too, but he wouldn't know until he took a look)- Sir Trews, how much did that cost you? How much do you think it will cost me??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Red Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Bad CV's usually have a clunking sound, not a grinding sound.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

What else makes a grinding sound??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Sir Trews

1994 SL2

Ok.. I'll defer to one has definately done more with Saturns than I have. I did the Dodge ones myself, but that was years ago and in the Bay Area where prices suck anyways.... Low Saturn should know... he's down there where I used to be a could probably give a much better idea of cost. I'll be watching to find out more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Trews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Oh. Cool. I hope it wont cost much. Im a high school student working at I-HOP... This FRRRREAKIN CARRRR!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Sir Trews

1994 SL2

Got friends that know about cars or car knowledge yourself? Can save a lot, but it's a project! THe parts themselves weren't very much, as I recall... somelike $40 or $50 then, but they may have changed.... I couldn't tell you a labour cost anymore. You being in Delaware will make it different from here somewhat, but again, if that mechanic hasn't really looked at it yet, that is really the only way you will know for sure.. just see what you can do about him giving you 'diagnostic', no promises that he'll get the job to fix it... and probably a good idea, if you can, to have it checked by more than just one.
Again, LoSaturn knows what up too, and from what I've seen here, has done more than I with these little Hotrods! LoL
That "Freakin' car" will probably one of the best you'll ever own once you get past the little things... depends on how well it was takin care of, of course, but I also have to mention that I have talked with a few on the phone who have recommended LoSaturn, so keep smilin!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Thanks a lot man!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #12
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

LoSaturn, What do you suspect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #13
Sir Trews

1994 SL2

Just a quick one for you.... trying to find some kind of pricing online to give you and idea... http://www.autopartsgiant.com/CAT_FRAMEX.cfm try that one and you can look from there if it happens to be bearings or something else... of course, the phone would probably be easier from your house to get a local idea of costs.

Just a thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:04 AM   #14
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I would also say something of the such.

When my friend's wheel bearings went out in his Nissan Sentra, you could definitely feel the vibrations at anything over say 20mph and they made awful (and must I add annoying) noises.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
jerry dye
jerry dye is on a distinguished road

take a look at the frame right across from the water pump, i was hearing the noise youo describe, and found the water pump bolts were making contact with the frame. if that's your case, look into the upper mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerry dye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerry dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I just thought about something. It's a bit of a long shot but, could it be the wear out tabs on the brake pads?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #17
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry dye View Post
take a look at the frame right across from the water pump, i was hearing the noise youo describe, and found the water pump bolts were making contact with the frame. if that's your case, look into the upper mount.
Well, I do have a broken upper engine mount, but if what you are saying is the case... wouldnt this happen when the car isnt moving too? because it only happens 4 me when im driving!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #18
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I just thought about something. It's a bit of a long shot but, could it be the wear out tabs on the brake pads?
I know I need brakes as well. But if ^that were the case, wouldnt it only happen when i hit my brakes? because it doesnt generally happen when i hit my brakes!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #19
jerry dye
jerry dye is on a distinguished road

when the vehicle isn't moving, there is no torque applied to the mounts, therefore the engine is for the most part in it's normal position. again, look at the frame section, directly across from the bolts in the water pump pulley, if the problem is the upper mount, you will see curved marks where the bolts on the pulley have been making contact with the frame. it will have shiny curved gouge marks. if you see this, change the upper mount, and the problem should disapear. it will also make louder noise when turning left, while accelerating, such as leaving a stop sign and turning left while giving it gas, the more gas you give it, the more noise you will hear, loud, almost like a air hammer being used on the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerry dye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerry dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #20
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

wow!!! that makes me feel much more at ease than it being the AXLE!! Im taking it to the mechanic 2morrow(2day technically) and I will have him check that!!!!!! I would do it myself, but i wouldnt know what the hell 2 do.----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question... Why do you think it kind of gets better the longer I drive it?? Can it still be the same thing although that^ is the case?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!