SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default U asked for it, polymer is the best, yep another polymer thread

Alright, another polymer thread. The reason why polymer is much better than steel. Polymer is more life-like, LOL. It feels like skin, that's why it is much better than steel. It's softer and doesn't get near as hot in the sun.

Haha, you asked for it. Now everybody must laugh at what I just said, LOL.

One of my friend's quotes, "A Saturn is like a car made from the stuff balloons are made from. They are a balloon car." - Now that was hilarious.

BTW, polymer will never die, cause the S-series will never die.

Sexy refuses to die.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: U asked for it, polymer is the best, yep another polymer thread

Why do I have the sudden urge to repaint my silver SL2 "Flesh" ??? With Pinkish brown headlight trim...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Polymer causes cancer.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

*drops dead from owning a polymer car*

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

There's a Juliana Hatfield song called 'What Do I Care' with lyrics that reminds me of Saturn except she should say "Made in Spring Hill"
Quote:
Made in China for the masses, I’m cheap and plastic. There’s millions of us. Yeah. You can buy me. You can break me. You can laugh but you’ll see it’s so easy.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

IMHO twenty years from now, maybe even less, if I am still alive; people are going to look at my 91 SC and be dumbfounded why this whole concept was dropped. I believe they will really wonder why it wasn't restyled and/or expanded into other models like the Accord and Camry. The current engine could have continued evolving, to work out little kinks, as well as developing bigger engine options to choose from. I could even see them having both polymer and steel cars, SUV's and even trucks side by side as choices. I still believe that someone is going to develope another plastic car. Will probably be the Japanese or Chinese and again draw more customers away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar
I still believe that someone is going to develope another plastic car. Will probably be the Japanese or Chinese and again draw more customers away.
Actually, Ford, BMW and even Daimler-Crysler are. In the case of Ford, a plastic bodied small SUV was shown recently as a multi-fuel, hybrid, and even possible future fuel cell vehicle. And get this...the polymer panels were made of a plastic derived from Soybeans, the color went all the way through (good scratch hiding along with no dents) and that used no petroleum products in the mix and used LESS ENERGY to produce as a finished product than similiar panels made of steel.

The death of primarily steel bodied cars IS coming. Energy costs are what will kill it.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The death of primarily steel bodied cars IS coming. Energy costs are what will kill it.
If it can be done cheaper than steel, and without the use of expensive petrolium by-products, and without needing to re-engineer the srtucture of the car to a great extent, I can see it happening. Just remember, the greatest benefit would be the inability to rust, not so much the dent resistence. Don't expect Ford and BMW salesmen to be kicking the doors in of these new models. You don't see Cadillac salesmen kicking in the fenders of the new DTS, but they're largly plastic. I saw one in Detroit that had the rear quarter panel shattered, and it was clearly a type of plastic, not fiberglass.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Give it a damn rest!

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Actually, Ford, BMW and even Daimler-Crysler are. In the case of Ford, a plastic bodied small SUV was shown recently as a multi-fuel, hybrid, and even possible future fuel cell vehicle. And get this...the polymer panels were made of a plastic derived from Soybeans, the color went all the way through (good scratch hiding along with no dents) and that used no petroleum products in the mix and used LESS ENERGY to produce as a finished product than similiar panels made of steel.

Ford built a Soybean plastic-bodied car in 1941.
http://www.thehenryford.org/research...ar/default.asp

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
Ford built a Soybean plastic-bodied car in 1941.
http://www.thehenryford.org/research...ar/default.asp
Someone started a thread about the car Henry Ford made out of Hemp, and ran on Hemp or something, but now I can't find it
(and I gots me a mean case of the munchies)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
If it can be done cheaper than steel, and without the use of expensive petrolium by-products, and without needing to re-engineer the srtucture of the car to a great extent, I can see it happening.
You don't have to "re-engineer" anything when you design the structure from day one to use them, as with the S Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
If it can be done cheaper than steel, and without the use of expensive petrolium by-products, and without needing to re-engineer the srtucture of the car to a great extent, I can see it happening. Just remember, the greatest benefit would be the inability to rust, not so much the dent resistence. Don't expect Ford and BMW salesmen to be kicking the doors in of these new models. You don't see Cadillac salesmen kicking in the fenders of the new DTS, but they're largly plastic. I saw one in Detroit that had the rear quarter panel shattered, and it was clearly a type of plastic, not fiberglass.

You're always gonna have to re-engineer the frame of a plastic car, plastics don't do stress skin as well as metal and much of the "crumple zone" engineering of newer cars relies on the properties of metal crush rates whereas plastics crush at different rates and more uniformly, even with composite supported plastics, it's more of a "shatter and bend" rate than a crush rate.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
You don't have to "re-engineer" anything when you design the structure from day one to use them, as with the S Series.
Except that you have to do cars totally differently, and the spaceframe becomes quite heavy and expensive when the body panels don't serve as any sort of structure whatsoever. The only way plastic will come back is if it can be essentially swapped in where steel would otherwise go, and it's cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar
I still believe that someone is going to develope another plastic car. Will probably be the Japanese or Chinese and again draw more customers away.
Good, let them. That's the only way GM will jump aboard and focus on bringing it back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #16
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Just keep repeating to yourself "carbon fiber", "carbon fiber"
What's good for racing cars will eventually become good for passenger cars.
Throw in some extruded aluminum too.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #17
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

I dunno... I'd rather have steel.

One time someone told me Saturns are made out of Styrofoam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
Just keep repeating to yourself "carbon fiber", "carbon fiber"
What's good for racing cars will eventually become good for passenger cars.
Throw in some extruded aluminum too.
Just go buy a Z06. That's what it's made out of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 09-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Just go buy a Z06. That's what it's made out of.
The carbon fiber or the aluminum? or both?
The Ferrari Enzo that crashed in Malibu seemed to protect the driver pretty well.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #20
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Except that you have to do cars totally differently, and the spaceframe becomes quite heavy and expensive when the body panels don't serve as any sort of structure whatsoever. The only way plastic will come back is if it can be essentially swapped in where steel would otherwise go, and it's cheaper.
Actually, if they *really* wanted to, there is no engineering reason why they couldn't maintain the space frame design and offer steel or aluminum or (pick a material) other type of body panels. They could even offer customers their choice of material. However, since this move was obviously to cut costs, I don't see anything of that sort in the cards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote