SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
clemtwist
clemtwist is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch hydraulic system problems

Well I got my 96 dohc engine into my 95 saturn SC2 (thanks for the help guys). In the process I installed a new clutch. So my problem is that I got my engine/transmission all back together and I go to drive the car and I try to pump up the clutch. At first it is very stiff, I almost could not push it in and then it kind of popped and got really easy to push in and out like it had to pressure to it. So sure ennough I can see brake fluid coming out of the transmission rapidly! So I ended up pulling the slave cylinder out of the bellhosuing and the little rod on the end had broken off and was sitting in the bottom of the transmisson. My question is did I install something wrong or maybe my clutch hydralic system was due for a change with 164k? My clutch hydralics seemed to be working perfectly before I begun the engine swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemtwist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemtwist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemtwist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Clutch hydraulic system problems

That happened because you didnt line up the pin correctly. Its supposed to go into a little indentation on the clutch fork. If its not alligned correctly, the pedal will be stiff at first, the pin will pop off and down into the tranny. If you realize this right away, you wont damage the slave cylinder. Looks like you may of pressed the pedal a few more times and damaged the lower part of the slave cylinder. A new slave cylinder will have allignment tabs on it so this wont happen again. But you still have to get that pin out of there. It not really all that hard to do.

To get th pin out if you havent already, jack up the car and remove the flywheel cover, and stiffening bracket. Also remove the battery, battery tray, intake, and the upper and lower tranny mounts. I may of removed the exhaust down pipe too, but cant remember. Then loosen the four tranny bolts. Remove each bolt then reinsert it and only thread it in about 1/2 inch. Once all four bolts are loose and threaded in a little bit, pull on the transmission until the it bottoms out on the heads of the bolts. Then lower the passenger side of the car, leaving the drivers side as high as you can get it.

Now get under the car and look behind the flywheel with a flashlight. Hopefully you can see the pin now. With the tranny pulled out of the way, there should be enough room to manuver the pin out.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
clemtwist
clemtwist is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Mike. Do you think that I got dot III brake fluid all over my clutch and inside my tranny? Do you think I will need to remove the transmoission to clean out all of the fluid that may have sprayed every where?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemtwist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemtwist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemtwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Personally, I'd get the pin out and with it open spray a couple cans of brake cleaner in there. Let it dry and bolt it back up. If you're lucky it'll be ok, if you're unlucky, you'll have to pull it apart and clean it. I'd go the easy way first and see what happens.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

I would think that the fluid just puked out and dripped down. and, the clutch disc is covered by the pressure plate anyway, so I doubt you got any on the disc itself.
btw, you're going to HATE yourself when you see the price for a new hydraulic setup.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote