SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #61
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Re: So it begins: Rebuilding a 1995 SC2

You know, you don't HAVE to boost on low (8.7ish:1) compression. You can boost fine on 9.5:1 just don't be too agressive with it.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #62
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

if youre spending all that money on engine parts YOU NEED TO DECIDE NOW what your goals are. N/A, nitrous, turbo are all very different. dont build it then plan to do something else later...

if you are going to go turbo, it is very wise to drop the compression.

i would do a turbo over n20 anyday. its not that hard to tune and 'learn' if you build it right, spend money on instrumentation (wideband, egt, etc) and fuel control. i love my megasquirt and AEM uego.

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars_volta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #63
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

The only reason I'm even debating Nawwss (lol) or Turbo is quite simply, COST. Without a doubt turboing will cost substantially more (manifold(i would want tubular $$$), turbo, down pipe + 3" exhaust, bov... etc). Nitrous is by far "the best bang for the buck".

I'm somewhat leaning towards nitrous at the moment. The car needs a lot of other repairs (interior +body work) which are also important. Maybe for my first rebuild it would be a good idea to keep it simple also. Maybe later down the road i'll purchase a junkyard block and turbo that, and drop it into my 95 SC1.

Also, I hear a 150 direct port shot of the juice is one hell of a kick in the nuts

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM   #64
mars_volta
Advanced Member

t3 $250
manifold $150
injectors $100
megasquirt $150
wideband/gauges $400
intercooler $150
IC piping/bov/couplers $150
oil lines $75
dp/exhuast $200
fans $75
-------------------------
$1700

i am running about 5 psi right now. holy crap the car is a monster! i rebuilt it with hyper sohc pistons. thats all. running great so far. i keep a close eye on the a/f and egt gauge when im boosting..

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

Last edited by mars_volta; 10-27-2005 at 09:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #65
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

5 psi? I'm running 35 psi!!!

.... in my tires....except for one is probably at like 20 psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #66
TwiztidSanity
TwiztidSanity will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

aint that something...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwiztidSanity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwiztidSanity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwiztidSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #67
RalliArt16

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Just thought I'd give an update to let everyone know I'm still alive.

I bought a half decent valve spring compressor (as recommended by lowsaturn) from ebay, ran me about $50 incl shipping:

Dissasembled the head. After questioning, wolfman, it isnt absolutely necessary to separate each individual valve spring/valve/retainer and put them all back in their respective spots. In addition to that, I'm going to use all new flat flaced valves from SDA (www.streetdesignauto.com) so I figured there was no point. I am about to begin soaking them in simple green to clean everything up

It is simply amazing how powerful simple green is! I soaked the pistons in them for 2 days and they are spotless! I removed the rings beforehand and it even got all the crud out of the ring grooves (with a little scrubbing also).

I have the head and block ready to go to a machine shop. I think i've found a good place in the area as recommended by my neighbor who got his '70 something Chevelle SS rebuilt there. They also do a lot of work on the "import scene" as he said and 4 cylinders.

Quick question though, what exactly is an "align hone" on the mains? I was planning on using ARP main studs for the head and main bolts. However, I read it is suggested to get an align hone before using main studs as the studs apparently distribute the load different than bolts?

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #68
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

When they align hone, they bolt on the main caps, then they run a cylindrical hone through where your crankshaft would be so that everything is straight and even.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about with the main studs and different load distribution.

If the engine looks abused then go ahead with the align hone. Not completely necessary unless you had a spun bearing or crank/rod damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #69
mars_volta
Advanced Member

do a search on www.turbosaturns.net/forum there has been a few good discussions about it..

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #70
RalliArt16

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about with the main studs and different load distribution.
I'm not sure about this either.. its just what I read after googling 'align-hone'.

By the way mars_volta, care to link me to these "good discussions". I searched align hone on TSN and couldn't find a damn thing.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #71
RalliArt16

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

FACK.
Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this:

Being the impatient person I am, i decided to take off the oil pump cover before referencing my FSM on how to do it first. Consequently... i ended up with a stripped torx bolt (2 actually). I went thru my torx bit set and t27 seemed to fit best, and worked good on all of them except the 2 that stripped... After looking at my FSM, it seems that they are actually T30

Yea.. I learned my lesson here. However, how in the world am I going to remove these 2 stripped internal torx bolts....

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #72
FL_SL2
FL_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Really big allen wrench? Craftsman makes a bit for getting out stripped screws. I'm sure Snap-On or Stanley makes something similar. It just cuts into the screw head and draws it out.

...if Despotism failed only for want of a capable benevolent despot, what chance has Democracy, which requires a whole population of capable voters. -- George Bernard Shaw 1903

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FL_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #73
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I sweated when I removed those torx bolts. Dont know how to remove them however (when they are stripped like that). They are pretty tight I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #74
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Anything thatyou can get in there to grab and turn the bolt out. Flat blade screw driver, hex bits. See if you can use a small chisel on the bolt head to dig into the head and tap around to loosen it. Drill into the CENTER of the bolt with the right size drill bit to get an easy out in to turn it out.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #75
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
It is simply amazing how powerful simple green is! I soaked the pistons in them for 2 days and they are spotless! I removed the rings beforehand and it even got all the crud out of the ring grooves (with a little scrubbing also).
Simple Green, which I found very effective for cleaning the block, didn't do crap for the carbon deposits on my cylinder head or pistons. I soaked my pistons in Chemical Dip for days, scrubbed them for hours with Carb Cleaner, and had to scrape the ring grooves with broken discarded rings. Only then did I get the baked-on carbon out of the ring grooves!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM   #76
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

My dad has something very strange that I found works wonders for removing smaller stripped bolts. Reverse drill bits! Most drill bits only go forward and drill (from top view) in a clockwise motion. He has some that drill counterclockwise. Isn't that weird?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #77
mars_volta
Advanced Member

im sure it wouldnt be hard to find another cheap cover if this one is impossible...

i would go right for the screw extractor bit..

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #78
RalliArt16

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Ugh, its hopeless

Picked up some screw extractors and tried everything else. The torque on these bolts is simply too great for any of these methods to work. I feel stupid that my haste has caused me such a headache. However, I did find out why I didn't originally use a T30 torx bit. I tried to fit the T30 i originally attempted into some of the already removed bits with a perfect head, and it wouldn't fit! The edges of this bit were rounded or whatever so that is why I thought they weren't T30 bolts. I used another T30 I had lying around and it fit perfect...

Anyone happen to have a decent shape timing cover laying around ... Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't all years interchangeable?

EDIT: It would appear thru saturnparts.net that only years 92-98 are interchangeable

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Last edited by RalliArt16; 11-03-2005 at 07:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #79
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

If I had one, I would send it. Unfortunately the only one I possess is on my car. You might try some junkyards around your area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #80
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

At this point before getting a new cover. If you have gotten the timing chain kit from Saturn it should have a new oil pump cover in it with replacement bolts. Carefully breakup the old cover so that you can get a pair of vise grips on the bolt head to turn it out. The thing that you do not want to do is to damage the matting surface between the pump cover and the timing cover.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote