SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
JPG
JPG is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Another gas milage question.....

I need input from you guys. I've had my VUE V6 3.5 FWD since april 2005 and i've talked to other VUE owners, and they get about 600 km from a full tank of gas. I do city only, and don't drive like a maniac, but i can't get anything better then about 380 km per tank , and that's with the fuel light coming on......Anyting wrong here ?

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard on duty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Another gas milage question.....

Yep, that seems a little low. Using US gals, and 1.6 km/mile conversion, I routinely run 450-500 km per tank around town, and 600+ on highway trips. I usually fill up at 14.xx US gals, but once stretched it to 660 km/15.5 US gal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
saturnvue549
saturnvue549 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

hi jpg. I have been keeping track of my mileage because I read so much about gas mileage before I purchased my VUE this past January. You can see how my mileage has been with my AWD V6. All measurements are in US units. The page shows MPG, miles between fillup etc...

Click here to view page

A typical week for me is a 3 mile trip to work and back each day, 8 miles and back to friends house each day, and a 15 mile trip to the parents on Sunday. I average 45 MPH on the roads (even when I shouldn't )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnvue549's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnvue549 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnvue549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
JPG

2005 VUE 3.5L

Any input from Canadians? Maybe our VUEs are different ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

I;ve owned my 04 Vue now for since last Thanksgiving. I have noticed that in the winter I was using about 300 miles per tank on average. Now that its summer, I have been pulling aroun 360 when on a highway. My last fillup was after a day in NYC and I only got about 220 mph on that fillup. It can vary a lot depending on the traffic I drive in.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

It's practically impossible to judge your city mileage to others unless they are driving the same route you are.

If you're driving downtown Montreal, you're not going to get the posted mileage. 'City' driving to the EPA should be renamed 'Suburban with No Traffic'

I'm doing well to get 250 miles out of a tank of just driving around town, which is about 16-18 MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
stormgreyvue
stormgreyvue will become famous soon enoughstormgreyvue will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I'm getting a range of about 300 miles to a tank when the fuel light comes on. I drive mostly city... with alot of idling. I end up with 21-22mpg right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stormgreyvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stormgreyvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stormgreyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

"Miles per tank" is a highly inaccurate measure of fuel economy. Unless you start with a full tank and end with a completely empty tank, you don't really know how much gas you used for that "tank." It depends on what you consider to be "empty:" the light, the needle on E, the needle on 1/4, etc. Gauges are inaccurate as well. My light may come on with 1 gallon left, and your light may come on with 3 gallons left.

I could say I get 300 miles out of a tank, but then again I fill up at 1/4 full.
You could say you get 400 miles per tank, but you fill up at E. Both of us get the same gas mileage, but different miles per tank.

Fill up the tank, stop when it clicks off, reset your trip odometer, and the next time you fill up stop when it clicks, divide the miles driven by the number of gallons you just put in.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
stormgreyvue
stormgreyvue will become famous soon enoughstormgreyvue will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb

Fill up the tank, stop when it clicks off, reset your trip odometer, and the next time you fill up stop when it clicks, divide the miles driven by the number of gallons you just put in.

I know. This is how you "estimate" your mpg. That is how I arrived at my 21-22mpg "estimate". Everyone's experience will be different. There are alot of variables. It's always, at best, an estimate. I was just posting my experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stormgreyvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stormgreyvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stormgreyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
JPG

2005 VUE 3.5L

I'm not looking for "absolutes"...but averages to see if i'm in the ball park, wich looks like i'm not at all ....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPG's Reputation
Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
sspeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG
I'm not looking for "absolutes"...but averages to see if i'm in the ball park, wich looks like i'm not at all ....
Your mileage seems to be in line with mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
2004NJVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG

When I do real city driving, ours is in line. If you said that was a highway reading, I would say something is wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
dtm1962
dtm1962 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG
I need input from you guys. I've had my VUE V6 3.5 FWD since april 2005 and i've talked to other VUE owners, and they get about 600 km from a full tank of gas. I do city only, and don't drive like a maniac, but i can't get anything better then about 380 km per tank , and that's with the fuel light coming on......Anyting wrong here ?
The VUE 3.5L FWD/AWD is an interesting setup. The short 1st gear for the the 5-Speed AUTO will rev up to 3-3.5K minimum no matter how slow you accelerate. The 5th gear overdrive will NEVER engage unless you hit 80 Km/hr or greater. Therefore the CITY mileage is about half of what I get on the highway because of these 2 factors.

Therefore with only city driving [with the 24 MPG/38.4 KMPG (Imperial Gallon =4.5 L city rating in Canada], I will get only about 350-370 KM before the low fuel light comes on. This translates to about 20 MPG.

But on the Highway I can get between 650-700 (and I even got around 730 km when I kept the speed under 100km/h (about 60 mph). This translates to about 38 MPG (Imperial Gallon =4.5 L while a USG =3.8L)

Since it is a FWD I get about 10% better than the AWD versions.

Next time you take a trip out of town, you should be able to get over 600 km per tank (before low level light comes on). Check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dtm1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dtm1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dtm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I'm waiting for my mileage to improve as well. I have 800 miles on my VUE now, and I've calculated mileage both times I've filled up:

1st fillup: 21 MPG
2nd fillup: 23 MPG

This is with the 2.2L 5 speed! I really expected better numbers. Then again, I do have a heavy foot and I use the A/C 95% of the time (friggin' West Texas heat). My VUE is still new, though, so I'll see what the numbers are once she gets broken in better

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
JPG

2005 VUE 3.5L

DTM1962 -- Thanks for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPG's Reputation
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
2004NJVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm1962
The VUE 3.5L FWD/AWD is an interesting setup. The short 1st gear for the the 5-Speed AUTO will rev up to 3-3.5K minimum no matter how slow you accelerate. The 5th gear overdrive will NEVER engage unless you hit 80 Km/hr or greater. Therefore the CITY mileage is about half of what I get on the highway because of these 2 factors.

Therefore with only city driving [with the 24 MPG/38.4 KMPG (Imperial Gallon =4.5 L city rating in Canada], I will get only about 350-370 KM before the low fuel light comes on. This translates to about 20 MPG.

But on the Highway I can get between 650-700 (and I even got around 730 km when I kept the speed under 100km/h (about 60 mph). This translates to about 38 MPG (Imperial Gallon =4.5 L while a USG =3.8L)

Since it is a FWD I get about 10% better than the AWD versions.

Next time you take a trip out of town, you should be able to get over 600 km per tank (before low level light comes on). Check it out.

About that first gear...mine likes to shift at about 3k for first gear...but by acceslerating slightly slower than most do in NJ, I can get it to shift around 2.5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
sspeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004NJVue
About that first gear...mine likes to shift at about 3k for first gear...but by acceslerating slightly slower than most do in NJ, I can get it to shift around 2.5.
I did a little experiment on the way back to work.

At about 2200 RPM in 1st gear, I let off the accelerator..causing the tranny to go to 2nd..and then going from there.

It seemed to get me about a 10% improvement according to my scangauge..but that was only one trip and would like to get an average over several trips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #18
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

On my 2003 VUE with 3.0L/auto, I just changed out the air filter for the first time at 27,130 miles. The filter didn't look bad, but since I had the new Saturn replacement and had planned to change it around 30,000 anyway, I did it before the oil change. The next day I had an 80-mile round trip to a band job after driving around running errands. The gauge didn't get down to 3/4 until just about 100 miles, which was a big departure from normal for similar driving. I'm still driving that tank of gas, and the gauge indication is still higher than it would normally be for the mileage driven. I won't know for sure until I fill up again, but so far it looks like a 10% improvement. I have never experienced that much difference from an air filter change on any vehicle, but I mention it in case anyone is experiencing so-so mileage and also has over 20,000 miles on the air filter or has driven regularly in dusty conditions, so they will consider changing out the filter to see if it makes any difference.
If it turns out that for some reason the VUE is particularly responsive to less restriction in the air filter, I may consider a low-restriction filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #19
2004NJVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman
If it turns out that for some reason the VUE is particularly responsive to less restriction in the air filter, I may consider a low-restriction filter.
I would not do that...especially if you drive in dusty areas as you say. Imagine all that dirt that was restricting your airflow getting into the engine. I am no mechanic, but that does not sound like a great idea. If you are that concerned, just replace your filter more frequently. I replaced mine at 15k. I go thru them frequently though. I frequent dusty construction sites and dirt roads...try driving about 30 miles behind a logging truck on unpaved roads. The car and filter turns brown. I have been known to vacuum my filters off in between changes. I do not know if that is good for them or not, but I do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #20
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

There are filters that manage better filtration with less restriction than the stock filter. I have used these in the past on different vehicles with little to no effect on gas mileage. They are expensive and a PITA to clean, but you only have to clean and oil them every 50,000 miles. However, if it turns out my VUE really does respond well to a new/clean filter, I may try a K&N or Air Hawg if they are made for my application, which is not likely. I'm still on the same tank, just having hit the 1/4 mark, and I have about 30 more miles than I usually do. It's hot and humid here, and the AC runs all the time the vehicle is turned on. If this improvement holds, it may even be better later in the year when I can turn off the compressor and cut the fan back. Mine was rated 19 to 25 mpg, and I usually get 20 to 21.5 combined driving. Right now I estimate I'm getting about 23.5. This gas was from the same station I usually go to. The oil change I did when I changed the air filter was the same oil I have been using.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote