SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
95sl2urbo
95sl2urbo is on a distinguished road

Default RADIO problem? and door lock problem please help

Ok you guys have been so helpful before lets see if you got anything for this one.

Recently i was driving with my sony cd player pretty loud and i switched from the radio to the CD it started playing and then JUST TURNED OFF like there was no power going to it. Almost like a fuse blewand it wouldnt turn back on. I checked the fuses, my dad helped hes a electrician kinda, the fuses inside there is a radi i checked that one and then there is a fuse on the sony unit itself and i checked that one too. It was fine. i checked to see maybe if ther was no power going to the unit. there definately was. I played with the fuses inside the car and mixed some of the 10s around. Im not sure if this happened when i did that or before but now when my driver door opens nothing in my car senses that it is open. the light only comes on for the other doors. also when i try to unlock all doors by turning the key twice in the door it doesnt work the locking does work for all but not unlocking. This is weird so i went to play with fuses again and i got nothing. sitll broken. im in college during finals its stressful enough and now i got a car with a whiny belt brakes that need to be fixed oil change and now this. i will be forking over money soon but this hopefully be fixed and i can take it to the place i got it. its been under a year so i will do that but i still wanna know if anyone has ideas??? PLEASe give me any insight or instructions. Or questions
thank you!
-Keith

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95sl2urbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95sl2urbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Bsmith
Bsmith is on a distinguished road

My vote is the chime fuse. If you kill the chime the radio won't work either. It's in the in car fuse box. I blew the chime fuse doing the same thing as you. All other fuses were fine. I think it's a 3.5A or 7A mini fuse.

Sold it when I moved. sniff... sniff....
'95 SC2 funky rootbeer color. Yes I know black gold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bsmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bsmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #3
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

You beat me to it, only I believe it's a 5 amp. Make sure you replace it with a 5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #4
95sl2urbo

thank you you were right!!!!!!
thank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank youthank you thank you thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 95sl2urbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

And make sure you have the correct size fuse for everything...

Don't turn your radio up that high again!

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

This results from what i consider to be very poor design by some stereo manufacturers. My son had the same problem. Basically, they have the amplifier draw power from the "always on" power, (supplied by the 5 amp fuse in the Satty) rather than the switched power wire which comes off a circuit that could handle it.

If you're talking normal unit with, say, a 10 amp draw max, you can connect to a different circuit. Higher draw, run a sepate fused wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:28 AM   #7
95sl2urbo

fixed it!
thanks again now i have time to work on my college paper instead of fixing that tommorow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

I had the same exact problem with a SONY MD deck.It was in the '93.The chime fuse was the culprit.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:43 AM   #9
95sl2urbo

stupid chime fuse!
so why did it blow? my dad said there is a reason why it did that. What do you guys think is the reason and is it fixable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 AM   #10
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

For whatever reason, your stereo is probably drawing too much power on the chime circuit. That feed is just supposed to be for the clock power when the radio is turned off, not for the main power for the radio (which is a 10-amp fuse to itself).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:18 AM   #11
jcurrieirocz
jcurrieirocz is on a distinguished road

yep same here......
when i bought my saturn the chime fuse was gone and the cdplayer (aftermarket) had the 2 lives hooked together to get it to run. after i got rid of the crapy cd player for my new MP3 player i hooked it up proper replacing the chime fuse. Then about a month ago just driveing with the sterio cranked up loud just died. after removeing the deck to cheack for a wire loose i found they were fine and it was a blown chime fuse...i replaced it and it was fine hasnt blown sence and ive been craking it up just as loud!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcurrieirocz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcurrieirocz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:43 AM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by 95sl2urbo
stupid chime fuse!
so why did it blow? my dad said there is a reason why it did that. What do you guys think is the reason and is it fixable?

Quote:
Originally posted by 95sl2urbo
Recently i was driving with my sony cd player pretty loud and i switched from the radio to the CD it started playingand then JUST TURNED OFF

Quote:
Originally posted by amazinghl
Don't turn your radio up that high again!

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:15 PM   #13
92SL1Mann
Advanced Member
92SL1Mann is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1996 SC2

Same thing happend to me 92 sl1 pioneer DEH 7500 mp3 10A deck, i found out by reading specs in the manual come to find out that the radio fuse in my case is a 7A (which was upped from 5A mid model year) and the chime fuse is 5A, I thought screw it and threw in a 7A in the chime and i turn it up all the time and havent had problems since

1992 SL1, 376,000Kms
1996 SC2, 243,000Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL1Mann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL1Mann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #14
winc
winc is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me. Mine had a 7.5A fuse for chime which provides constant power. Since my alpine unit has a 30A fuse for that, I ran a line directly to the battery through the firewall using 10AWG wire. At the same time, I ran a ground wire of the same gauge just to be safe. Now I have a 15A fuse on battery side of this power line and a capacitor just under the dash that supplies to the headunit. No more chime fuse problems, and I can turn it up even louder when I want to be annoying (my mother-in-law hates it).

'95 SL1 auto (retired)
'02 RSX 5spd (her baby)
'05 WRX 5spd (my baby)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to winc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help winc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #15
Magicman
Magicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura about

You guys got my hopes up. My radio (Kenwood KRC-660 circa 1992 or so) has been inoperable for over a year now..........and I keep putting off troubleshooting it.

Of course, I checked the car's fuses......but didnt check the chime fuses. Sadly, that was not the trouble.

I'm sick of no tunes in the car.......even though I don't really drive it very much anymore.....

Oh well.

Thanks,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Magicman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Magicman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:25 PM   #16
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Do any aspects of the radio work, like the lights or clock? If the installer did a quick & dirty connection on the ground wire, it could have come loose. Or, there could be an inline fuse blown, or a Scotchlok connection gone bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread