SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
mjollnir79
mjollnir79 is on a distinguished road

Default Would this be enough to keep the engine stable while replacing crossmember/subframe?

Using the 1 ton crane from HF. How much does the engine weigh? less than 1000lb right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20191029_141419.jpeg (63.8 KB, 34 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjollnir79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjollnir79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjollnir79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Would this be enough to keep the engine stable while replacing crossmember/subfra

Aren't the legs of the crane under the car? Right where you need to be to perform the task?

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
mjollnir79

Default Re: Would this be enough to keep the engine stable while replacing crossmember/subfra

Yeah, but we got it up plenty high. We're using larger 6 ton jack stands

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mjollnir79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

I've done several of these frame swaps. It really seems like the way you're trying to do it it'll be in your way.

Use some 2x4s if you don't want to buy the support bar

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Yea, way more than enough. However use your HarborFreight coupon for the support fixture. It straddles the upper frame (top of the fenders) and supports the engine.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
I've done several of these frame swaps. It really seems like the way you're trying to do it it'll be in your way.

Use some 2x4s if you don't want to buy the support bar

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html
I didn't even know about the support bar. I plan on returning this thing anyway. It's missing the castors, and the support beams on the side seem messed up, oh and also missing the lock washers. Plus it's not long enough anyway. can't remove or do a engine swap with this/ As for it getting in the way two of us will be doing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

A 2x4 and some rope would set you back about $5. Plus you could use them for something else after.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
A 2x4 and some rope would set you back about $5. Plus you could use them for something else after.
Yeah that was the first place, which I should have stuck with, until I found this thing.However the problem I ran into when trying to get the new subframe up was the middle nuts. Since the car is up in the front with larger 6 ton stands, I'm thinking the engine and everything is tilted making it impossible for everything to line up. Getting 2 more 6 ton stands and putting the whole car up should even everything out. This job is a pain in the rear.

Last edited by mjollnir79; 10-30-2019 at 09:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

A 2x4 isn't stable enough. Need the 3.75" vertically for strength but then it flops over at the slightest touch. I only had pine 2x4's, the 1.75" vertically left the board far too floppy/droopy...even a pine 4x4 should be perfect.

Engine is around 220lbs (+/- 10lbs), trans is around 75lbs...well under 1/4 ton total weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
A 2x4 isn't stable enough. Need the 3.75" vertically for strength but then it flops over at the slightest touch. I only had pine 2x4's, the 1.75" vertically left the board far too floppy/droopy...even a pine 4x4 should be perfect.

Engine is around 220lbs (+/- 10lbs), trans is around 75lbs...well under 1/4 ton total weight.
What about my theory on bolts from the tranny not lining up to the subframe? Engine/tranny hanging out of place since not level?

We have 4x4 but so far it's hanging from the crane, as well as some wood and jack stand under the car while it sits until fFriday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

What if you just removed the couple of other connectors and just pulled the whole engine out, lined up your frame, then dropped it back in? If you have a crane it should be simple

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the top engine mount is in and it's just the transmission mount not lining up...that's a PITA to line up normally. Manhandle the engine/transmission around until it fits. You'll have to loosen the mount on the cradle so it has some wiggle to it.

Going with SC2Sicks's idea, there might be enough slack in the coolant hoses to just drop the engine onto the cradle/ground without undoing anything; once bolted to the cradle you can lift the entire assembly into place. I've not tried it that way, there could be other hang-ups like the transmission cables or something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjollnir79 View Post
What about my theory on bolts from the tranny not lining up to the subframe? Engine/tranny hanging out of place since not level?

We have 4x4 but so far it's hanging from the crane, as well as some wood and jack stand under the car while it sits until fFriday.
I believe you are over thinking this. You will be able to muscle things around and get everything to line up.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I believe you are over thinking this. You will be able to muscle things around and get everything to line up.
Yeah we'll give it another shot on Friday or Saturday. Hopefully I don't mess up my arm any more. Pulled a muscle or something, but not while doing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #15
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I used the Harbor Freight support bar when I did mine a few months ago, it worked well. I pulled the fenders back though because I didn't want to chance the weight cracking them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6296.jpg (149.0 KB, 16 views)

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles